Daily/Weekly notifications

Started by xrunner, July 25, 2010, 09:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrunner

In the scheduled tasks area, you can set up these two items -

Daily Notification Summary
Emails out the daily digest for notification subscribers.    

Weekly Notification Summary
Emails out the weekly digest for notification subscribers.

I cannot find where in the forum members can subscribe/unsubscribe to these daily and weekly email notifications.

niko

From Notifications in profile selecting Daily or weekly notifications instead of instant and then subscripting to topics or boards as normal.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=notification
Websites: Madjoki || (2 links retracted by team, links out of date and taken over.)
Mods: SMF Arcade, Related topics, SMF Project Tools, Post History

WIP Mods: Bittorrent Tracker || SMF Wiki

xrunner

I don't have this option in my profile even as Admin (at my forum) -

Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email.

The first place I looked for this was in the notifications area of my profile. It's not just an Admin thing because I checked other member's profiles and they don't have it either.

Are you sure you and I are taking about the same thing? I'm not talking about notifications of posts and such. I'm talking about being able to select a daily or weekly email of some kind of digest, as stated in the OP I made.

I don't even know what the digest is, I just installed SMF 2.0.

Maybe it's a bug?

xrunner

Can anyone explain these daily and weekly digests and how members subscribe to them?

xrunner

One more try. Can anyone explain my question?

QuoteIn the scheduled tasks area, you can set up these two items -

Weekly Notification Summary

I cannot find where in the forum members can subscribe/unsubscribe to these daily and weekly email notifications.

Drunken Clam

I believe that, if a member has selected a notification to topics/posts, then all those notifications are sent out in a single email, (digest), either daily or weekly as specified in their profile.

For example, if I ask for notifications on this particular thread, then set in my profile that I wish to receive notifications daily, then I will receive one email, every day, containing all replies, rather than an individual email every time a reply is made.

Ditto for weekly

So, the bottom line is, if your members have asked for notifications, in other words subscribed to them, they will receive them as above!

I probably could have worded that simpler, but hope you get my drift!  ;)

DC

CapadY

Profile - Modify Profile - Notifications

Subscription can also be done by clicking on "Notify" at each board and eah topic.
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

xrunner

To the last two responders -

As I said before in the thread, even as Admin, I do not have the selection listed below in my profile on my SMF 2.0 RC3 forum that shows up in my profile on this forum -

Receive forum newsletters, announcements and important notifications by email.

^^^ That option is simply non-existent in profiles on my forum - even my own - it ain't there ^^^

Also, nobody has explained what a "digest" is. I've never heard of a digest in previous versions of SMF. It looks like I can have the system send out a daily or weekly "digest" under scheduled tasks -

But I have never received one. I've never even heard of one before I noticed these options in the scheduled tasks area.

Simple question: What is a "digest" as pertains to the new SMF 2.0 forum?

Deaks

xrunner:  a digest is a brief outline of whats new on your forum, topics members etc

And if a user has notifications enables these options allow you to choose will it be a weekly message or daily message (daily is more spammer like so may get ignored)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Advertisement: