News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Who's Online Actions Confusing

Started by xrunner, July 25, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xrunner

Quote from: Ken. on July 26, 2010, 09:12:30 AM
This file edit resolved the issue for my forum:
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=192529.0

No, you aren't understanding the issue. Please read the thread carefully first.

The "normal" things members are doing are shown as "Unknown Action" for my normal members, and what the guests are doing show normally, such as looking at a certain thread or board. I do not believe SMF 2.0 RC3 intends to make almost all actions done by members show up as "Unknown Action" ("Viewing unread replies since their last visit" is the only other thing I see as an action for members)

Ken.

Quote from: xrunner on July 25, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Viewing unread replies since their last visit

or

Unknown Action

I never see them doing anything else in the Who's Online list (I know they are however)

That same condition existed with my install of SMF2 RC3 and the edit mentioned at the link fixed the issue for me.  :)

EDIT: As you can see in the screenshot, 'Jake' shows as being in "Unknown Action (Action: forum)" whereas before he would only be showing as "Unknown Action"
"If you don't have a stack of failures in your shop, you aren't trying hard enough". --Richard Raffin.

xrunner

Quote from: Ken. on July 26, 2010, 09:34:25 AM
That same condition existed with my install of SMF2 RC3 and the edit mentioned at the link fixed the issue for me.  :)

Well, I guess that's what I need to know first Ken before I start adding mods and tweaks. Is this condition normal by design for SMF 2.0 RC3, in that it displays Unknown Action for a lot more actions than SMF 1.1.11 did - not just for the Admin but for other members as well? It makes no sense, because I can see Guests viewing boards and topics, but I cannot see my members doing same. Is that really for a fact, the way 2.0 is supposed to operate? Can a support expert first confirm or deny that SMF 2.0 replaces more actions members do with Unknown Action text than 1.1.11 did?

xrunner

Here's another example.

Other than "Viewing unread replies since their last visit", all I ever see members doing is "Unknown Action" using SMF 2.0 RC3. This is not how SMF 1.1.11 worked. I could see members doing all kinds of things with SMF1.1.11. It's not about trying to determine what the "Unknown Action" is - I could care less. It has to do with what I've explained several times now, that all I ever see members doing is two things, as illustrated below -

Members -

Kimberly      11:31:57 AM     Unknown Action
HAL    11:31:52 AM    Unknown Action
Count Steve Doug    11:17:16 AM    Viewing unread replies since their last visit.
urs    11:14:40 AM    Unknown Action
Jim    11:10:31 AM    Unknown Action

Guests -

Guest    11:30:54 AM     Viewing the board  Mission Statement.
Guest11:29:27 AM    Viewing the board index of.
Guest 11:27:40 AM    Viewing the topic Post-Upgrade Thread.
Guest    11:22:22 AM    Registering for an account on the forum.
Guest    11:15:46 AM    Viewing the topic Post-Upgrade Thread.
Guest    11:09:27 AM    Viewing the topic Best Onion Video Ever.
Guest    11:05:16 AM    Registering for an account on the forum.
Guest    11:04:30 AM    Viewing the board Mission Statement.

As you can see, it shows the Guests looking at and doing all kinds of things, just like you'd expect. But not members.

gbsothere

I can tell you that it's not a bug in RC3, xrunner.  I just went to my RC3 test board and created some newbie accounts and I can see them either in the arcade, viewing specific threads, etc.  Guests have no viewing privileges on my test board, so I'm not sure if, once they do, it changes things.  It certainly shouldn't....

*going to test that out*

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

gbsothere

Guests and users alike show up correctly in "Who's Online"...

So, it has to be something unique with your set up.   :-\
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 12:59:06 PM
So, it has to be something unique with your set up.   :-\

Thanks, I agree.

Now the question is...

What?

I've searched high and low and checked databases for errors till I'm blue in the face and nothing shows up wrong. The whole forum seems to work flawlessly except for this one thing and it bugs the crap out of me!

gbsothere

I'm assuming that this has happened, ever since the upgrade, with or without any mods in the mix.  One thing to try (and it's a long shot).  In your RC3 upgrade zip along with the upgrade.php that is found in the zip, there are also several sql files.  I would upload all the sql files to the forum's root, along with the upgrade.php and point the browser to it one more time.  If you only used upgrade.php before, without the additional sql files it may be that, although your database is stable, it was not completely updated.  Just a thought, xrunner; I've seen that work for other users, before.

Little edit:  I would empty the forum's cache after that (through Forum maintenance).

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 01:06:24 PM
I'm assuming that this has happened, ever since the upgrade, with or without any mods in the mix. 

Yes.

One thing to try (and it's a long shot).  In your RC3 upgrade zip along with the upgrade.php that is found in the zip, there are also several sql files.  I would upload all the sql files to the forum's root, along with the upgrade.php and point the browser to it one more time.  If you only used upgrade.php before, without the additional sql files it may be that, although your database is stable, it was not completely updated.  Just a thought, xrunner; I've seen that work for other users, before.

I definitely did all that, I uploaded everything properly - all of it - no doubt about it.

gbsothere

This is bizarre...   I can't think of any mods that would interfere with this.  I'll post a request in the support area for others to look in on this thread, xrunner.  Someone will have some insight on this.   ;)

xrunner

OK thanks, but I want to understand something - are you saying I can run the upgrade again and it won't harm my forum (if I upload all the sql files you suggested)?

gbsothere

It won't affect any of your files; all it does is update the database.  As long as all the mods that have placed tables on your database are mods for RC3, then those won't be affected. 

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 01:31:24 PM
It won't affect any of your files; all it does is update the database.  As long as all the mods that have placed tables on your database are mods for RC3, then those won't be affected. 

Let me try it after a backup. On the upgrade, I skipped the part where it wanted to update templates because I read you could do that in this support forum, and indeed all is well except for this issue. Perhaps that step really should not be skipped?

sAce

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 01:27:56 PM
OK thanks, but I want to understand something - are you saying I can run the upgrade again and it won't harm my forum (if I upload all the sql files you suggested)?

yes, run upgrade one more time, and also re upload the following files

sources/who.php
themes/theme-name/who.template.php
themes/theme-name/lang../who.english.php

gbsothere

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 01:35:00 PM
Let me try it after a backup. On the upgrade, I skipped the part where it wanted to update templates because I read you could do that in this support forum, and indeed all is well except for this issue. Perhaps that step really should not be skipped?

Well.....   hmm....  that's a gray area now, after the fact, if you've installed a lot of mods.  At the time of your initial upgrade, I would have said "yes" to that.  Do you have so many that it would be a huge hassle if you had to replace any edits?

Ah, S-Ace has arrived!   ;)   Thanks! 

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 01:42:53 PM
Well.....   hmm....  that's a gray area now, after the fact, if you've installed a lot of mods.  At the time of your initial upgrade, I would have said "yes" to that.  Do you have so many that it would be a huge hassle if you had to replace any edits?

No, I'll try it, but there is advice on this board in other threads that says you can skip that step. Perhaps that advice should be tempered.

And, if you shouldn't skip that step, there shouldn't be a "Skip" option button shown on the screen - but it's there plain as day!

gbsothere

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 01:47:00 PM

No, I'll try it, but there is advice on this board in other threads that says you can skip that step. Perhaps that advice should be tempered.

And, if you shouldn't skip that step, there shouldn't be a "Skip" option button shown on the screen - but it's there plain as day!

Try S-Ace's suggestion first, xrunner.   That may be all it takes, uploading those three files and running the upgrade again. 

sAce

We are working on this site http://www.atheistthinktank.net/ right ?

cause it looks fine to me, may be it is unknown  action

mine accounts are displaying fine, ( sbmcos, sbmcos2 ) ( used different browsers )

xrunner

Quote from: S-Ace on July 26, 2010, 02:15:09 PM
We are working on this site http://www.atheistthinktank.net/ right ?

Yes.

Quotecause it looks fine to me, may be it is unknown  action

Look at the other users, no way are they all Unknown Action like that. It's that way all day and they look at the board index all day and other threads. Not buying it.

mine accounts are displaying fine, ( sbmcos, sbmcos2 ) ( used different browsers )

I can't explain that.

sAce

reset your online time threshhold to 15 minutes , and observe

Advertisement: