News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Who's Online Actions Confusing

Started by xrunner, July 25, 2010, 06:12:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbsothere

You ran the upgrade.php with those sql files included and uploaded those three files S-Ace suggested? 

(I have to ask, you know.)   :)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

xrunner

Quote from: S-Ace on July 26, 2010, 02:23:54 PM
reset your online time threshhold to 15 minutes , and observe

OK. I did it and nothing changed, or do I have to wait 15 minutes?

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 02:24:49 PM
You ran the upgrade.php with those sql files included and uploaded those three files S-Ace suggested? 

(I have to ask, you know.)   :)

No not yet I'm making a backup like a good boy.

Two of those Who files aren't even included in some of the themes in the first place so I don't understand what's going on there.

themes/theme-name/who.template.php
themes/theme-name/lang../who.english.php

sAce

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 02:26:02 PM
Quote from: S-Ace on July 26, 2010, 02:23:54 PM
reset your online time threshhold to 15 minutes , and observe

OK. I did it and nothing changed, or do I have to wait 15 minutes?

YES, unless you have a time machine  ;D

gbsothere

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 02:27:55 PM
No not yet I'm making a backup like a good boy.

Two of those Who files aren't even included in some of the themes in the first place so I don't understand what's going on there.

Well, they're a part of SMF's core and, when a theme doesn't have a template, language or source that SMF uses, it rolls back onto SMF's core. 
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

sAce

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 02:27:55 PM

Apologies, the files go in default theme folder

gbsothere

Quote from: S-Ace on July 26, 2010, 02:31:52 PM

*laughing and going for strong coffee*

Dang, that went right over my head!   :D

I thought he was just commenting on custom themes, in general.   

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 02:29:36 PM
Well, they're a part of SMF's core and, when a theme doesn't have a template, language or source that SMF uses, it rolls back onto SMF's core. 

OK, that's interesting, but it means that these files aren't needed in every theme directory as I see that they aren't on my system; it just rolls back. So why is he telling me to copy

to each theme. I'm so confused.

gbsothere

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 02:33:57 PM

OK, that's interesting, but it means that these files aren't needed in every theme directory as I see that they aren't on my system; it just rolls back. So why is he telling me to copy

to each theme. I'm so confused.

Quote from: S-Ace on July 26, 2010, 02:31:52 PM

He just meant the theme folder that you're using.   Default, in your case, I believe.   :)  The template file in default, the language file in default/languages and the source file in sources. 

xrunner

Copying those files again to the default theme folder didn't change anything. Looks like I will do the upgrade again after I save my database and report back here. Please check back later and I'll report what happened. I'm hoping that not skipping the update templates step this time will make it better. If that is the case I suggest the team not program "Skip" buttons for people like me to click on.

gbsothere

We'll look back in, xrunner and best of luck with it.   :)  Do empty your forum's cache (forum maintenance) after the upgrade.

xrunner

Uploaded the 3 who files, did another upgrade and did not skip the template step...

Everything went down OK, but I still have the exact same problem with the Who's Online list.

gbsothere

Quote from: xrunner on July 26, 2010, 05:09:32 PM
Uploaded the 3 who files, did another upgrade and did not skip the template step...

Everything went down OK, but I still have the exact same problem with the Who's Online list.

This has got to be one of the most puzzling things I've ever heard of.   ???

You emptied your forum's cache?

Later in the evening there'll be a bit more support traffic moving about so stay optimistic, xrunner.  Someone here knows how to sort this. 

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 05:19:43 PM

You emptied your forum's cache?

Yes.

What would cause Guests to have what they are doing displayed, but not members - not even for me the Admin? That's probably a good question to ask. Someone knows how that code works, so guess I'll have to wait on them.

Thanks for all the ideas so far. Like I said, the forum is wonderful and I love it, 'cept for this one weird issue.

gbsothere

I don't know this about your forum but guests have zero permissions on mine and I even had to go to Features And Options to temporarily allow them to view the board just to test this out.  I can't think what in the world sets them apart from regular users except for one thing:  being logged in.  Permissions wouldn't have anything to do with it or even being in certain membergroups, as far as you, the admin, viewing this is concerned.  There seems to be something about your forum that connects being logged in with producing this "unknown action", if it weren't for this one thing:  (from your earlier post):

Count Steve Doug    11:17:16 AM    Viewing unread replies since their last visit.

Is that you, the admin?  If so, the admin's actions are showing up (and you would be logged in), just not any of your other logged in regular members.  The weirdest damned thing I've ever seen. 

xrunner

Quote from: gbsothere on July 26, 2010, 06:01:00 PMMay I just ask about this (from your earlier post):

Count Steve Doug    11:17:16 AM    Viewing unread replies since their last visit.

Is that you, the admin?

No, I'm HAL there.

The thing is, it does show Who's Online OK, it's really what they are doing that isn't being displayed properly (for members). Almost all the time it's Unknown Action ( except for occasional "Viewing unread replies since their last visit"). That's just not the way it is. It worked fine and dandy before I upgraded.

gbsothere

I know it's no answer to the big question, but if you find this in your Who.php (Sources):

else
            $data[$k] = $txt['who_unknown']

And replace it with this:

else
            $data[$k] = $txt['who_unknown'].
            ($user_info['is_admin'] ? (
               (isset($actions['action']) ? ' <span class="smalltext">('.$txt['who_action'].': '.$actions['action'].
               (isset($actions['sa']) ? ' -> '.$actions['sa'] : '').')</span>' : '')) : '');

it will at least tell you what those unknown actions are about.  Small comfort, but at least something, in the meantime. 

:)

Kill Em All

I think this would be something with either the Aeva or shoutbox mods you have installed personally.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

xrunner

Quote from: Kill Em All on July 26, 2010, 10:20:18 PM
I think this would be something with either the Aeva or shoutbox mods you have installed personally.

Interesting. I just took out the Shout box mod but it didn't help
. I will take out the Aeva mod tomorrow and see what happens.

Why do you think those mods would make the Who's online listing do what it is doing?

Edit: Now it seems to be working properly! I think the Shout Box was the culprit. SMFPacks Shout Box. Wonder why it did that?

Kill Em All

:D

Probably because it was using an action and that action wasn't specified in the online list.

Glad its working for you now though. Leave this unsolved till tomorrow and if its still running smooth, feel free to mark this as solved. :)

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: