Good general chit-chat topics during slow times

Started by Coon, July 29, 2010, 10:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Hi,

What are some good topics that can get lots of views and posts in the general chat section?  I can't think of many right now and I'd like to add some life to that section of my forum.

Here are some I've used before:

- Fashion thread: post your latest buys and what you'd like to get
- Politics or religious type of thread: can be tough to moderate at times
- What movie did you watch last.

Please share yours... would love to get things spiced up a bit!

rd

I think you should start off with just a Chit chat and a jokes bored and if your community plays games then a gaming board as well.

Coon

Well, I'm trying to see what everyone here thinks about specific topics that can be started, not boards.

What type of discussion topics do you start in the General Chat section that get lots of activity?  I posted my two, but I wanted to hear everyone else's input.

TheListener

Jokes bored   ;D

There's the Soapbox for people who want to get things of their chest ie want to complain about something.

The Jukebox for people to post their favourite songs. Folks have to show a youtube clipe on MKA.

Blushing Times for those embarrassing moments.

The titles in bold are what I call my sections.

ishy

I've never found generic topics to work very well. The ones that tend to take off are ones where I totally thought nobody would respond.  So, I think the key is just to post what you find interesting, and what you think your members might find interesting, and tailor it to the respective community.

The longest open thread on my board is called "Greatest Mistakes in Fashion", mostly stuff from ShopBop, a couture clothing retailer.  I didn't start that one, but totally didn't expect it to the the most popular thread on the site.

Advertisement: