News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Finally, an SMF 2.0 Update

Started by [SiNaN], July 30, 2010, 04:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jntg4

I didn't mean it that way.  I meant usually someone will decide if they want free or paid software before picking what product they want.  So SMF and MyBB directly compete, while indirectly competing with vB/IPB/xF.
Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

~DS~

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin's Black Cat on October 21, 2010, 06:24:37 PM
SMF should (and will) be competing with paid software. Just because something's a paid product doesn't mean it's automatically better than a free product ;)

Granted, SMF has lagged behind for a while (and I don't think anyone will argue about that), but the future of Simple Machines is looking better than it ever has.
What future?
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Fustrate

The one you've obviously already given up on. Personally speaking, if you want people to "leave SMF, use XenForo", why haven't you left?
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

Jntg4

XenForp is cool and all, and they released 1.0.0 Beta 2 today (and vB released 4.0. 8) , but Free >>> $140 (as in goodness, not as in cost, I know my math).
Free Domain Name: http://www.co.cc/?id=167358

Norv

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on October 21, 2010, 08:07:27 PM
SMF should (and will) be competing with paid software. Just because something's a paid product doesn't mean it's automatically better than a free product ;)

Granted, SMF has lagged behind for a while (and I don't think anyone will argue about that), but the future of Simple Machines is looking better than it ever has.
What future?

That future some of us are working on, this very moment, at 4 a.m. in the morning, for many hours, reviewing code revisions and bug reports, retesting packages, debugging issues, and thinking in the back of the head the trade-offs of further versions. Maybe ... some of us were meaning to see a movie tonight for a change, instead. However maybe, just maybe, that movie is paused for hours... to do "just one more thing", "and I'll be back at it"... Looks like I won't be back tonight though.

Don't think there's one only, in any case. There are many people working hard to make it happen.

Ah well, there'll be a better time for movies anyway. In the ... future. :)

That future in which I will indeed see a movie, and Eliana Tamerin and her Black Cat will be upgrading their SMF. ;)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

searchgr

Quote from: Dismal Shadow on October 21, 2010, 08:07:27 PM

What future?

View Only Boards

~DS~

Quote from: Eliana Tamerin's Black Cat on October 21, 2010, 08:45:04 PM
The one you've obviously already given up on. Personally speaking, if you want people to "leave SMF, use XenForo", why haven't you left?
Because my friend...I am still using the software as well as XenForo, doesn't not mean I should use the software but leaving the "community" yeah.
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

cicka

Why most threads have to turn into arguments at Smf? I have seen nothing but a bad vibe in this community since I became a member. Can we please stop these nonsense arguments and get along with each other? :)

searchgr

They usually call it 'democracy' and not 'nonsense arguments'.

cicka

Quote from: searchgr on October 22, 2010, 11:32:56 AM

You can call it anything you like. Bu the fact remains that these arguments are holding back Smf and the whole communities that depend on it. Smf it is the only that is suffering from this.

searchgr

Really?

We all use argumentation on a daily basis, and you probably already have some skill at crafting an argument. The more you improve your skills in this area, the better you will be at thinking critically, reasoning, making choices, and weighing evidence.

Fustrate

Quote from: cicka on October 22, 2010, 03:15:10 PM
Quote from: searchgr on October 22, 2010, 11:32:56 AM

You can call it anything you like. Bu the fact remains that these arguments are holding back Smf and the whole communities that depend on it. Smf it is the only that is suffering from this.

Chill out, arguments aren't holding back SMF anymore. Yes, there were big problems earlier this year, and the community heard about a bit of it, but what you guys haven't heard is that it's almost all over. Once the NPO is finalized and owns SMF, it'll all be done and over with.
Steven Hoffman
Former Team Member, 2009-2012

DoctorMalboro

TurtleKicker

Quote from: cicka on October 22, 2010, 10:55:02 AM
Why most threads have to turn into arguments at Smf? I have seen nothing but a bad vibe in this community since I became a member. Can we please stop these nonsense arguments and get along with each other? :)

You joined after the apocalypse, so you missed the cause of much of it. Bad feelings still run deep, and there is much impatience all around to fix the issues and get SMF back to its glory days.

Many are frustrated as they watch their pride and joy (SMF) fall behind the competition due to internal issues that have now dragged on for years. SMF is not dead but it's fallen from greatness and we desperately want to see it return there. Anything that impedes that gets people riled up... even moreso as it drags on and takes longer to resolve.

TurtleKicker

Quote from: シナン on October 20, 2010, 09:58:08 AM
And yeah, we're making another one of these posts. Hopefully it's going to be something like this one.

Bump. Update? Haven't seen such a post yet, and the above quoted text was from October.

Masterd

Why did you bumped this "old" topic?

KensonPlays

sorry for late reply live367:

my opera mini scores 97/100 on acid3 as well woop-wooop opera mini!

live627

Quotelive367
* live627 asks who that was

Er no, don't reply.

Advertisement: