Package Manager doesn't properly

Started by navarretemarce, July 31, 2010, 06:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

navarretemarce

Me again.
The last time I asked, it was suggested to me that I should move to another host (but that is not possible for me right now)
I did a clean installation of a test forum.
Language: english, theme: default, SMF 2.0RC3, Mod: sitemap.
Server configuration PHP 5.2., safe_mode: Off. Now I asked the host and mod_security is off.
I was getting some chmod and ownership probles... everithing solved with my host provider and help in this forum.
It seems to be advances  :) now I get  the package installed (at least I though that) can I go now trough all de installation steps and I get the message:
QuoteThe package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes.
But there is no package functionallity, no link to sitemap, no options in "Modification Settings", nothing.
temp folder was created properly and chmod and ownerships are ok.
Any help?

gbsothere

Oh, my, navarretemarce, after all that and you're still unable to get this sorted.   :-\

For anyone looking in, this thread is what navarretemarce is referring to and you can see all the steps he took to work through this issue:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=393265.msg2723309#msg2723309

You're experiencing something I ran into myself, on my RC3 test forum, which is what I call a "phantom" installation:  getting a "success" message but finding, when you check, that none of the files were actually edited and, in some cases, none of the mod's included files (in the zip) were placed on your server.

I'm curious to know, if you open your Packages directory, if the "temp" directory you created is still there?  If so, what are its contents?

Edit:  Yesterday, you said you'd reinstalled 1.1.11.  I'm assuming though, that you're back to RC3; same forum?
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

gbsothere

navarretemarce, try different permissions, instead of 777.   Make your directories 755 and your files 644 (not just your Packages and temp directories but Source, Themes, etc.) then try again.   Let us know how this goes. 
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Tyrsson

PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

navarretemarce

Hello,
here I go again. PHP info:
http://encendidoclasicas.com.ar/phpinfo.php
QuoteI'm curious to know, if you open your Packages directory, if the "temp" directory you created is still there?  If so, what are its contents?
Now I am trying to install the package "sitemap", temp directory empty...
- Zip file upleaded fine from SMF server to mine with Pck. Manager. Content of .zip checked ok.
- After (install_mod) command: Temp dir contains the same files as in .zip file.
- Installations actions for "Sitemap" window shows "test successfull" for all tasks
- Now click on (install now): Redirecting window and the following message: "The package was installed successfully. You should now be able to use whatever functionality it adds or changes; or not be able to use functionality it removes."
- Temp dir still there and files also. Should't  be there by this setp???

I am gona check the error log now...
And here are some problems... always file permission related I think. And this time Sources dir seems to be the problem. It is not writable, should I chmod it 777?  I though shouldn't be... I will also try chmod 777 with for Subs-Package.php.
Then next try with directories 755 and files 644 as you suggest gbsothere...

QuoteYesterday, you said you'd reinstalled 1.1.11.  I'm assuming though, that you're back to RC3; same forum?
Yes, my forum is running 1.1.11, RC3 is only a test forum (new and clean installation), new database, no post, etc. I am really courious to see whats going run. As I said, I have other CMS running like joomla, CMS Made Simple... and no problems with package managers... Also looking into this forum, there are several threads wiht similar problems, and no solution... perhaps it is possible to ride whith this issue soon... I will be happy to test the possible solutions on my test forum.

navarretemarce

I tried, chmod 777 for sources and sub-sources.php. Same thing...
Tried chmod 644 for files and 755 for folders and I get error messages all the time in red boxes something like:
Quote!! Performance Warning
The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

navarretemarce

RESOLVED!!!!!  :)
Yes, package I get sitemap mod installed and uninstalled several times  ;D.
The problem, as you suspected gbsothere was allways the file permission. The files in Themes/Default/template.index.php and same path /languages/who.php and help.php needs to be writable too.  Not only the folders also this files. Then sitemap mod can be installed. Also I have playes arrownd with other mods and was able to install and unisntall them.
So I am still happy with my host provider, stay by them...
And package manager of RC3 is much much more temperamental than 1.1.11....
Thank everybody for your help especially gbsothere...

gbsothere

Quote from: navarretemarce on August 01, 2010, 01:37:00 PM
RESOLVED!!!!!  :)
Yes, package I get sitemap mod installed and uninstalled several times  ;D.
The problem, as you suspected gbsothere was allways the file permission. The files in Themes/Default/template.index.php and same path /languages/who.php and help.php needs to be writable too.  Not only the folders also this files. Then sitemap mod can be installed. Also I have playes arrownd with other mods and was able to install and unisntall them.
So I am still happy with my host provider, stay by them...
And package manager of RC3 is much much more temperamental than 1.1.11....
Thank everybody for your help especially gbsothere...

Congratulations!   I'm happy to see a green check next to this; you've had a hard time of it.   ;)

Advertisement: