News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Okay Help.

Started by Bingham, August 01, 2010, 12:40:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheListener

I would have a look at the hosting forum and see what they say.

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

Wait... I think I know why you cannot do that. SMF For Free might not allowed you to use package manager on their free hosting. So sorry for that. That is one of the weaknesses of using free hosting services.

However, they do note that they provide Built in Portal System, i.e. EzPortal. Do you see any panel for installing that in Admin Center?

Bingham

Quote from: Brack1 on August 01, 2010, 07:12:01 PM
I would have a look at the hosting forum and see what they say.
Err help me out i dunno what to do lol XD

Bingham

Quote from: AbuFahim⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ on August 01, 2010, 07:12:59 PM
Wait... I think I know why you cannot do that. SMF For Free might not allowed you to use package manager on their free hosting. So sorry for that. That is one of the weaknesses of using free hosting services.

However, they do note that they provide Built in Portal System, i.e. EzPortal. Do you see any panel for installing that in Admin Center?
Yep There is

EzPortal

* Settings
    * ezBlock Manager
    * Page Manager

:)

Click ezBlock Manager, then Install and Enable ezPortal.

Bingham

Done Yay :)
Okay Ill get some of the form blocks done and in place and ill get back to you tmoz on how it is going im going bed now :) Night People
Thankyou for today Espically you Abu :)

Just one thing how do i add and remove form blocks?

rd

From the Ezportal menu but seriously? Thus is the hosting board :)

Please see http://smfsupport.com for help regarding smfforfree, which is different from regular SMF, in terms of features and customization.

Quote from: Bingham on August 01, 2010, 07:23:46 PM
Done Yay :)
Okay Ill get some of the form blocks done and in place and ill get back to you tmoz on how it is going im going bed now :) Night People
Thankyou for today Espically you Abu :)

Just one thing how do i add and remove form blocks?
Nice to hear a happy voice. I am sleepy too and will be out of here soon. Just use ezBlock Manager to add or remove block ok. Settings is to setup homepage and general ezPortal settings. So you are good yeah Bingham. Nite nite to you and others too.

Quote from: Royalduke on August 01, 2010, 07:28:46 PM
From the Ezportal menu but seriously? Thus is the hosting board :)

Please see http://smfsupport.com for help regarding smfforfree, which is different from regular SMF, in terms of features and customization.
Yes. There is. I overlooked that he is using SMF For Free hosting services that provide major mods together as part of their services.

TheListener

RD we didn't want the lad to start panicking poor fella is totally new to all this.

We will point him in the direction of the support topics tomorrow.

Don't you remember what it was like when you first started?

rd

AbuFahim, what's it? Your reply doesn't make sense.

Brack, no I was young when I started SMF but nit once did I ask for help. I registered in this community last year Sept. but I've used SMF for 2-3 years now. Not once have I asked for help in the beginning, I actually read the documantions and believe me, I was young then, very young. I learned through trial and error, I've read the docs but never really placed that knowldge to use.

I am giving OP a push to the right direction. No one will know smfforfree better then the smfsupport.com community. 

TheListener

The lads made a good start now.

:)

Quote from: Royalduke on August 01, 2010, 08:36:13 PM
AbuFahim, what's it? Your reply doesn't make sense.

Brack, no I was young when I started SMF but nit once did I ask for help. I registered in this community last year Sept. but I've used SMF for 2-3 years now. Not once have I asked for help in the beginning, I actually read the documantions and believe me, I was young then, very young. I learned through trial and error, I've read the docs but never really placed that knowldge to use.

I am giving OP a push to the right direction. No one will know smfforfree better then the smfsupport.com community.
You may be right RD. smfsupport.com may be better. But it is up to OP 'where' to ask for assistance. We never bind him here, or are we?

But basically "SMF" For Free is based on SMF and all its major mods. It is just limited in the sense of using package manager and certain other admin items. It don't need a master to know the easy function of SMF or its major mods used by SMF For Free. One who have use SMF via SMF For Free, like me and few others too  ;D, will know that functions and how to go about it. It is basically sharing knowledge and experience. Not about knowing the detail or in depth codings etc.. which IMHO is not mainly required (and mostly not allowed) if we are using SMF via SMF For Free.

Bingham

Okay Have A Look http://pvszhomepage.createaforum.com/index.php
Also just wondering how do i make the heading like at the top were it has Home  Help Search Adim Ect
I wanna change and add this there how do i do this?

Quote from: Bingham on August 02, 2010, 06:40:05 AM
Okay Have A Look http://pvszhomepage.createaforum.com/index.php
Also just wondering how do i make the heading like at the top were it has Home  Help Search Adim Ect
I wanna change and add this there how do i do this?
I am afraid you cannot do that in SMF For Free hosting services. A better support for it is as stated by RoyalDuke.
Quote from: Royalduke on August 01, 2010, 07:28:46 PM
Actually, this is what have been advised to you earlier that is the limitation of free hosting services. Basically, their TOS (in my own words) is you can have your forum but subject to their terms and conditions which are the limitation for you to further explore the indefinite possibilities of SMF. What you have now is a forum with major SMF mods that they are offering (basically all that are available in your forum Admin Center) and nothing more. Again, so sorry for not being able to help you on this matter. Better luck with the support as stated by RoyalDuke in the above post.

Bingham

hmm okay i will go paid website seeing as i cant do what i want to do , i want to make it look proffesinal and smart and nice so i want to find a mazing server that i pay 4 pounds GBP a month or year or what ever.. what one?

You can find various useful information regarding paid hosting here: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=155.0

Find the best and nearest to you is most important (check your budget though).

rd

4/month is a good price, I recommend you look at the paid board.

Going paid will allow you to use SMF without any feature limits and I highly recommend you do. 

smp420

Quote from: Bingham on August 02, 2010, 07:21:02 AM
hmm okay i will go paid website seeing as i cant do what i want to do , i want to make it look proffesinal and smart and nice so i want to find a mazing server that i pay 4 pounds GBP a month or year or what ever.. what one?
So you are in the UK, its best for you to find a server in the UK if thats the case. Try posting here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=159.0
"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out." -Jack Buck

Bingham

Hmm i'm not sure now , this is becsause i want to have a site that looks professinal , but first i need to know if people are going to join :S . So is it possible to make a free fourm with a homepage look good?

Advertisement: