News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

" and ' showing as boxes and question marks

Started by InsaneMustang, August 04, 2010, 03:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InsaneMustang

I've got an issue on my forum where the " and ' are showing up as ?'s and boxes []

Attached is a screen shot.

I'm running 2.0 RC3 with Tiny Portal 1.05 Beta 2.

I could use some assistance.

TheListener

Er ya forgot the screenshot.

*Brack is pleased he isn't the only person who forgets attachments*

InsaneMustang

kat

Are they OK, if you use the SMF default theme?

InsaneMustang

kat

It may be your forum's default theme, but the SMF default theme is like the one we have, here.

InsaneMustang

Oh, it's the same thing.  I just edited the PNG files to change the colors up.

kat

Ah.

In that case, it might be worth uploading the language files, from the SMF install archive, replacing the ones that you have, now.

As it's English that's affected, it might just need those.

InsaneMustang

Would it be all of the files inside the /default/languages folder?

xenovanis

Did you fix this? I just visited your site and it looks fine to me.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

InsaneMustang

No, I have not done anything yet.  The weird thing is, it's hit and miss.  Sometimes one of my computers does it, sometimes it doesn't.  Sometimes IE does it, sometimes Mozilla does it.

xenovanis

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

InsaneMustang

I don't have a clue.  Replacing the language files did not help.  It's not just me getting them either, my members are as well.

kat

Your screeny shows that it happens in quoted messages.

Does it happen in normal posts, too?

InsaneMustang

Yes.  And titles.

BTW, replacing the language files made me reinstall my mods, which is fine, but I had no idea lol.

Here is a list of my mods too, I haven't added anything recently that could play into this problem.

1. TinyPortal 1.100   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
2. Treasury 2.06   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
3. AjaxChat Integration 3.2.1  [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
4. Yet Another Global Announcements Mod 2.7.3   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
5. Aeva ~ Auto-Embed Video & Audio 7.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
6. Custom_Top_menu 1.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
7. SMF Media Gallery 2.0.4   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
8. Thank-O-Matic 2.0 RC2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
9. Enhanced PM Warning Message 1.0  [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
10. SMF4iPhone-Mod 1.0  [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
11. Fixed Social Bookmarks 1.0   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
12. MessagePreviewOnHover 1.7   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
13. Pm Number in All Pages 1.0  [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
14. Activity_Bar 1.0.1.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
15. FaceBook Style NavBar (FBSNB) 1.0.3  [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
16. SMF Advanced Topic Prefix Mod 2.1.2   [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
17. Pretty URLs 1.0RC  [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 
18. Team Page 3.5.1  [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ] 

xenovanis

I still think this is browserrelated. I have the some thing when browsing sites from my workspace, while using my laptop all seems fine. I have no idea however how this works with browsers. I suppose it's about the settings of the characterencoding.

InsaneMustang

It's doing it from my phone too, running the Android system.

kat

Just a thought...

Is your forum using a weird font?

Unless people have that font, on their computers, it'll certainly look odd, in the way that you're describing.

xenovanis

Or how about trying utf-8 languagefiles? For default english, download the smf_2-0-rc3_english-utf8 languagepack, extract it and upload it to your forumlocation. Switch languages to see if that helps.

InsaneMustang

Nope, not on a weird font... this is still a problem for me.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joker™

Just a guess, try clearing site cache.

Administration Center » Forum Maintenance » Routine » Empty the file cache

Also delete all files except .htaccess and index.php from "Cache" using your ftp.
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi, is this still happening?

I just checked out your site, and didn't see it happening anywhere on your site.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: