News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Let Me Google That For You BBC Tag

Started by 4fit?, February 24, 2009, 12:16:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4fit?

Link to Mod

Got a forum with some members that are just too dang lazy to use a Google search?  Well, this mod will add a BBC tag for Let Me Google That For You searches.  It takes them to a Google page with the results of what they should have searched for, but it does it in a comical sorta way.  CLick here for an example.

A BBC button will be added after the url button to your post screen.
Clicking the button will place [lmgt][/lmgt] in your post box.
Simply plug in the term(s) you want to search for between the tags like below:
[lmgt]Color Of The Sky[/lmgt]

Alternately, you can place the search terms as a parameter to the lmgt tag and place your own text inbetween them like below.
[lmgt=Color Of The Sky]Google is your friend![/lmgt]

mforum

any screen shots of how this actually works inside forum ?

4fit?

Quote from: mforum on February 24, 2009, 05:29:35 AM
any screen shots of how this actually works inside forum ?
Not really sure what you want a screen shot of.  It's just a BBC tag.  It will produce something like this.

Demonstration

-or-

Different text other than the search text

qu3ll0

Hi, thank you for that nice mod.

Does hxxp:lmgtfy.com [nonactive] log search queries information for statistic/advertising/anyother purposes?

That is:
1) Source URL
2) forum IP address
3) web client IP address
4) search query content
5) ...

Why do not use a direct Google search string?

4fit?

Quote from: qu3ll0 on February 24, 2009, 09:32:22 AM
Hi, thank you for that nice mod.

Does lmgtfy.com log search queries information for statistic/advertising/anyother purposes?

That is:
1) Source URL
2) forum IP address
3) web client IP address
4) search query content
5) ...

Why do not use a direct Google search string?

To my knowledge, no, it doesn't log anything like that.  It's just a smug way of telling somebody "Hey, ever heard of google genius!?!!?".  lol

NHWD

man this is probably the best mod ive seen
people are too lazy to google and im tired of going to lmgtfy.com and typing in the search term and copying and pasting the link

KahneFan

#eric_on_twit| (video) Creating Themes for SMF | Reset Your Forum
NOTE: No PM's for support please.

Slaapkopf

bork

When I install this, the following text appears at the top of the forum on every page:

$txt['lmgt'] = 'Let Me Google That For You';

Michael Ronayne

I have privacy and possibly security issues with the BBG Tag "lmgt" also know as "Let Me Google That For You" which is using the Domain hxxp:www.lmgtfy.com/ [nonactive] which currently has an anonymous registration. The website hxxp:www.lmgtfy.com/ [nonactive] is hosted at the IP Address 209.20.88.2 which is currently supporting six websites, four of which are aliases for hxxp:www.lmgtfy.com/ [nonactive]. Here is the list of all six websites:

Websites at 209.20.88.2

Haddkeressemmegneked.hu
Let-me-google-that-for-you.com
Letmegooglethatforyou.com
Lmgtfy.com
Pcsoffers.com
Vanillaresults.com

On one of these websites (hxxp:http:///www.let-me-google-that-for-you.com/ [nonactive]) the owner a James Gavin of Stafford, Virginia, who runs a public website at hxxp:www.thegarvin.com [nonactive], neglected to have the Domain registered anonymously which is one of the reasons I know his name.

The website hxxp:www.lmgtfy.com/ [nonactive] is a proxy forwarder which is receiving queries from the SMF clients and passing them to the real Google website. In the process, James' website is foolishly using the real Google Logo (a very BIG no-no), attempting to plant cookies, running sophisticates mouse and keyboard scripts and has ample opportunity to record all of the queries which are being submitted to it. Since the forwarder is using cookies and can record every query, James' website has the ability keep track of anyone trusting enough to use it. If James had wanted to be a public benefactor he could had written a BBC Tag which linked directly to Google: "hxxp:www.google.com/search?btnG=1&q=Simple+Machines+Forum [nonactive]", but James did not do this.

This is a very bad application and potentially could be very dangerous to SMF users and to its creator. It is my very strong and professional recommendation that it be removed from the SMF library.

And now I would like to give James a little heads-up. About mid February 2009 someone unknown to me but with access to the same toys which I use, became very interested in your website. One of the unintended side consequences of using my pay-for-play toys is that I can tell when someone else is running the same game as I am. Just in case you think that I was able to identify you from the one Domain which was not registered anonymously, please find attached the original but desensitized clear-text WhoIs record for the hxxp:lmgtfy.com [nonactive] Domain. You are putting too much trust in GoDaddy and Domains by Proxy. Today's message was brought to you by the letters "G", "O" and "L" and the number "3".

Michael Ronayne

Domain:  hxxp:lmgtfy.com [nonactive] - Domain History 
Cache Date:  2008-11-19 
Registrar:  hxxp:godaddy.com [nonactive], INC. 

Registrant:
   Xxxxxxxxx
   ### Xxxxx Xx.
   Stafford, Virginia #####
   United States

Domain Name: hxxp:lmgtfy.com [nonactive]
      Created on: 19-Nov-08
      Expires on: 19-Nov-09
      Last Updated on: 19-Nov-08

Administrative Contact:
      Gavin, James  [email protected]
      Xxxxxxxxx
      ### Xxxxx Xx.
      Stafford, Virginia #####
      United States
      ##########      Fax --

Technical Contact:
      Gavin, James  [email protected]
      Xxxxxxxxx
      ### Xxxxx Xx.
      Stafford, Virginia #####
      United States
      ##########      Fax --

Domain servers in listed order:
      hxxp:ns1.mcgservers.com [nonactive]
      hxxp:ns2.mcgservers.com [nonactive]

Afro

ZUMZUM

Maybe its me lol

i have the G button but how do u search ?

Magicjax

The "G" button doesn't show up on my forum. Instead it actually puts the words "Let me google that for you" in the BBcode box.

Any idea what I need to do to fix this? What file should I check?

It works when I click the link though. I just need the image instead of the ALT text.

Magicjax

I figured it out. The image didn't load into the right folder.

If anyone has this problem just load the folder into the images/bbc folder of your theme.

Buschiq

My favourite mod!

I'm running the forum for a "tutorials for Blogspot-blog" and that makes this the greatest thing. All those questions, sooo easy to google...

Thank you!  :D

steve51184

Streamlife

Hello Everyone, Any-one Know's how to Parse this?  Thanks in advance.

Am ussing 2.0.7 Smf

Advertisement: