News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Register new member (admin process)

Started by thellie, September 01, 2010, 09:58:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thellie

sorry, probably a silly question, but i just want to make sure before starting the process - in the password field there seems to be an 8-character password automatically input.

is this correct (the obvious answer...), or is it just a reminder to put in a password (the silly, but possible, answer)?

also, is it possible to change the auto selected value in the dropdown list?

i want people who register themselves to join as regular members - the default group, but those that i register to join as another membergroup as they will be volunteers who will come to our organisation... so it would be easier for me if the selected value is that membergroup rather than the '(no primary membergroup)' defaulted value.

cheers
If you have any support questions, feel free to ask - be safe in the knowledge that I won't help because... I know nothing!

yakyakyak

Looking at 3 x 2.0 setups i see no default password requirement as you detail.

But you have the option to "mail your chosen password" to the new user and you can select their primary membergroup when setting up
the account.

Do you have any other Registration mod(s) running?

thellie

no but i think i've worked it out... autofill forms ws set up in my google chrome browser. turned it off, emptied the cache (in chrome and smf), and it still fills the field - haven't restarted yet though.

tried in safari, which is like a dog on this pc, and i'm having to reload every page at least once just to get them showing. tried on firefox and that is showing a balnk password field :)

so, problem sort of solved.. thanks for checking out for me and answering the post :)

ADD: would still like an answer on the other points if possible?
If you have any support questions, feel free to ask - be safe in the knowledge that I won't help because... I know nothing!

yakyakyak

The membergroup that they will be assigned?

Sorry? big rains here in my part of Turkey and electric keeps going.

thellie

hi,
i will have two types of people registering - normal users who find the forum and decide to register (they will become regular members). the second type are volunteers who apply to join our organisation - i will register these people myself, and assign them another membergroup (future volunteers).

so, i don't want the default membergroup to change when others are registering. all i want is for the dropdown list in the registering new members (admin area) to be set to 'future volunteers', not '(no primary membergroup)' as it is at the moment.

(keep your rubber soled shoes on just in case  :o )

yakyakyak

Normal member signups are nothing to do with this design.

If you are assigning them yourself then you will have to pick their membergroup from the dropdown list.

You may want to consider using the Invitation Mod

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2567

thellie

i don't think you quite understand what i mean.

i want normal members to be able to register themselves - as they do now.
i want them to just go into the normal default group - as they do now.
i understand that this is nothing to do with the normal member sign up - i don't want it to be a part of that.

but i have another membergroup, who i make the accounts for. this is the only time i will ever use this register members option, so i would like to be able to have the membergroup option i want, already showing. so that i don't have to click on the dropdown menu every time.

i can do it if i build a php page myself and pull data from a mysql db. so i know it's possible, just not sure where to look for the code to do it in smf.

yakyakyak

Quote from: thellie on September 01, 2010, 11:44:12 AM

i would like to be able to have the membergroup option i want, already showing. so that i don't have to click on the dropdown menu every time.

I understand fully but, Is it that much of an overhead selecting 1 membergroup from a few?

thellie

no disrespect intended - i've asked the question, can it be done, if so, how can it be done?

whether it saves much time overall, isn't the point. if you can't answer the question, then please say so - i'm happy to wait for someone who can.

yakyakyak

ok. I cannot help but i don't see an issue or overhead either.

thellie

ok, thanks anyway (great profile pic by the way)

thellie

ok, it's taken all day with lots of trials and tribulations, but i have finally dropped in a random password generating function, nested in the
function template_admin_register() ,
into the
Register.template.php file.

all it does is put a random password next to the password field. i select it and drag/drop into the field... sweet.

still no answer to how to change the initial selection on the dropdown menu though... :(

Advertisement: