Quick short question about skins

Started by XxSparks, August 10, 2010, 05:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XxSparks

hey there everyone, so I recently switched over from vBulletin that I have been using for a very long time, however I am quite curious if it's a possibility for you to import / export skins?

I've played with SMF's settings and I may be overlooking that options somewhere, the reason why I ask is because I can't have my board down for long periods of time since it's quite active, and I would like to work on a new skin for SMF on the side (on a local machine) and then export it and reimport it to the active board, does that make sense?

Any who, I'm just curious if that's possible? And if so, will that new imported skin inherit settings / modifications that are already installed on the board? or will I have to reinstall them?

Thank you.

Kill Em All

No, the skins are not compatible. Skins are called themes in SMF btw.

You can look in the help wanted board however, there are people that will convert your skin to a SMF theme for you. For free or for a price.
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=50.0

Check their reviews before hand though.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

XxSparks

Thank you for the quick reply :)

I think we're a bit off onto 2 different pages, I understand what you're saying but what I meant was, I'm creating a theme for SMF from the default, and I was just curious if there are ways for you to export your theme once it's done so you can use it for import again on a separate board (both SMF boards, only 1 is a test local board, while the other one is the live board)? :)

tragidy

After you press make a copy, simply remember the name as a folder will be created, ftp or cpanel etc.. etc... into your site and download the folder, you will then have a local copy which you can use on other sites either by repackaging the folder into a zlib( zip ) or by uploading the folder to the other board.
Open source Matters, the GNU GPL License is one of the most valuable text ever created by mankind.
Support all open source projects when possible as their concepts are paving the future. ~ tragidy

XxSparks

Quote from: tragidy on August 10, 2010, 06:22:18 PM
After you press make a copy, simply remember the name as a folder will be created, ftp or cpanel etc.. etc... into your site and download the folder, you will then have a local copy which you can use on other sites either by repackaging the folder into a zlib( zip ) or by uploading the folder to the other board.

Wow thank you so much for the reply! :) I'm getting 1 step further to achieving my goal, I apologize and this may seem like a complete newbie question since I'm still new to the SMF software, but where can I find the setting for

"make a copy"

I presume it's in the AdminCP, I'm in there right now under "Configuration > Current Theme".

Antechinus

Should be down the bottom on the "Manage and Install" page. :)

Oh and doing it on local is definitely the way to go. The admin centre editor is not worth using for code editing IMO. Much nicer doing it with a proper app.

Kill Em All

Quote from: Antechinus on August 10, 2010, 10:06:25 PM
Oh and doing it on local is definitely the way to go. The admin centre editor is not worth using for code editing IMO. Much nicer doing it with a proper app.
x2. I never use the admin CP area to edit files, its so sloppy. No offense of course to the devs. Just my opinion. I'll use it if I know exactly where and what I want to change and if its a minor change.

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Antechinus

Exactly. Handy for the occasional small edit, especially if you're just helping someone out and don't have ftp and all that jazz.

Actually you just gave me an idea. Now I'm wondering if for 3.0 we could set it up with full syntax highlighting and no line wrapping, etc. That would help noobs a lot I think.

Kill Em All

Ohhh. I might consider using it then. ;)

I don't know why its split into sections though, why not just put the whole file's code in one text box? Is that some performance issue, personally, I can't see it being a performance problem.

Antechinus

I must admit I've never seen the logic behind that either. Mind you I've never asked. :)

Kill Em All

XxSparks

Well thank you guys so much for the help! :) It really did help me a great deal, and Antechinus I found the copy section :) I really appreciate it everyone.

Advertisement: