News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

IE8 problem posting or editing long messages

Started by akc42, August 13, 2010, 03:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akc42

I have been putting together a forum using SMFv2.0RC3 using a theme based on Curve (only color variations).  The only mod installed is Google Analytics.

When I try to edit an existing post (and my colleague reports when he creates one) where the text area fills up with text and the scroll bar appears - IE8 (and only IE8 - I tried IE7, Firefox, Safari, and Chrome) seems to scroll to the top of the box on every character typed.  Making it unusable.

This is such a glaring problem that I cannot believe someone else has not come across it, yet a search of this board doesn't seem to mention it.

Is this a known problem? and is there a fix for it?

CapadY

It's an known item with IE8 but with other browsers there shouldn't be a problem. This is the first time I hear about it with other browsers.

And I don't know a solution for it :(
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

akc42

Quote from: capady on August 13, 2010, 05:11:57 PM
It's an known item with IE8 but with other browsers there shouldn't be a problem. This is the first time I hear about it with other browsers.

And I don't know a solution for it :(

I realise I was slightly ambiguous.  It is only a problem in IE8  Not in any other browser.

I did find a claimed fix, but it doesn't seem to work.

akc42

Quote from: searchgr on August 14, 2010, 02:26:58 AM
Did you tried this?

I believe THAT fix is already in 2.0RC3 - I did find another one (for $sourcedir/Subs-Editor.php) which isn't and does something similar, but when I tried it it didn't work.

For the moment I have added the meta tag that makes IE8 work in IE7 mode and that has fixed the immediate issue for my users.

Advertisement: