News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Moving from one host to another

Started by user1234, August 17, 2010, 06:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

user1234

My forum got DDoS attacked again and so hostmonster suspended my site.
I still have access to files for a limited time in my file manager.
A week ago I downloaded an SMF backup directly from my forum, and checked the box so it includes both structure and data of the database in one download (I think).
The file name ends with  _smf2-complete_2010-08-07.sql.gz

I discovered today (in spite of the unhelpful new host phone help yesterday) that my new host does indeed have SMF available with one click installation.
It is version 1.1.2
I believe I had been running 1.1.11

Do I install 1.1.2, and then do all the necessary updates to 1.1.11, and then will I be able to use the forum itself to directly upload my  _smf2-complete_2010-08-07.sql.gz  file?
My old forum was completely default with no custom stuff (at least not intentionally!)
I can't explore the old forum for an answer on restoring, because it is shut down and offline.

Quote from: akabugeyes on October 23, 2005, 07:51:43 PM
The move consists in 2 steps:

Step 1: Move the public html files of the board (these are the files in your board install dir). Either download them to your pc, then upload them again on the new host. In case the url or server path settings change, adapt all board settings to the new url and server path names. The repair_settings.php tool can do most of the work for you automatically.

New host but same .com URL as last host. Just repointed DNS.
But I am to ignorant regarding what "server path settings" this is inquiring about. Or how to find that out about my former installation, or it's prospective new home. Is that path this?
http:/ /sitename.com/index.php

Quote from: akabugeyes on October 23, 2005, 07:51:43 PM
Step 2: Move your db data from the old host to the new host. Use these FAQs for moving your db structure and data: How do I save my SMF board? and How do I restore the database data?

So then that step is the one I already did, and have the 6.65 mb file from whose file name ends with
_smf2-complete_2010-08-07.sql.gz 

user1234

Sorry for bumping my own post, but I extremely edited the OP after discovering that my new host does have one click installation of SMF

kat

If I were you, I'd upload the database and install SMF v1.1.11, pointing the install to your current database.

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:01:47 AM
If I were you, I'd upload the database

Thanks for the reply and please excuse my ignorance.
Do you mean I do indeed click on the new installation of SMF at my new host?

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:01:47 AMand install SMF v1.1.11,

Meaning then I do the updates in the freshly installed 1.1.2 until it becomes 1.1.11?

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:01:47 AMpointing the install to your current database.

To what "current database" are you referring, since my former host yanked the forum and suspended the account?
Is the "current database" the backup file that I downloaded to my computer from my old forum?
Point what to what?
Or how do I point?

kat

They didn't even let you have the database?

NAME NAMES! What an awful host!

To ensure that you have the latest versions of SMF, I'd ignore the install they give you and do a fresh install from here.

Have a read through this and see if it switches any lights on, for you.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:22:10 AM
They didn't even let you have the database?

NAME NAMES! What an awful host!

Hostmonster (a host that I have absolutely adored) did allow me 15 days before the door hits me on the way out. So I do have access to my cpanel and files for a few more days.
Can I find what you are referring to in there? When I go to the "backup wizard" and go to "Download a MySQL Database Backup", under that heading there is a single link under "databases" with the suffix   _smf2

It's 20 bites and downloads in an eye-blink. The file name as defaulted to my computer is   smf2.sql.gz

Is that what you are referring to?
If so how do I upload it to my new host?
Can I install the SMF 1.1.2,
go to my new install and update to 1.1.11,
then is there a way within the forum itself that allows me to upload that "Database Backup"  file to the forum,
then a way to upload the   _smf2-complete_2010-08-07.sql.gz  also within the newly uploaded forum itself?

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:22:10 AM
To ensure that you have the latest versions of SMF, I'd ignore the install they give you and do a fresh install from here.

That's what you'd do. And you enjoy doing that kind of stuff. For me, mucking about in the mystery of zipping/unzipping files that I am lucky to find on my computer after downloading them, is sheer torture.

So if you hated this stuff, and were completely ignorant as to how to do a fresh install "from here" to my new host, and you were looking for the easiest way to do it, and your new host does not "support" 3rd party software, would you one-click install the 1.1.2 and then update to 1.1.11?
I'll review the installation instructions which I haven't done yet.

Edit addition
I did confront my fears and downloaded the "zip" file, then clicked on "extract" and it saved itself into my documents as  smf_1-1-11_install
I presume it's ready to go.
I may be able to utilize my host help from here to put it in the right place.

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 06:22:10 AMHave a read through this and see if it switches any lights on, for you.

http://docs.simplemachines.org/

I did spend time there yesterday searching moving hosts but there wasn't much.

user1234

OK I downloaded SmartFTP and made the connection.
I dragged the   smf_1-1-11_install   
file into the correct folder on the left.
The transfer is still zinging along, but when I look at the "server log" it shows "server closed almost 10 minutes ago.
Is this normal?
Since the transfer is still taking place according to the bottom panel of SmartFTP does that mean it is still taking place in spite of the last entry on the server log?

edit addition
It finished. It says 4.79 kb and the file at my host has it rounded to 4.00 so I guess it transferred OK.

2nd edit
OK so here's where my stupidity really paid off.
The file originally extracted itself and put itself into my documents as
smf_1-1-11_install

So I dragged it over to the "httpdocs" file at my host, on the left side of my SmartFTP window (I called to make sure this was the right place)
and so I obviously wound up with a file of the same name.  smf_1-1-11_install

I didn't make a folder for it first.
So now I guess I would have to go to the installer as

http://www.mydomainname.tfl/smf_1-1-11_install/install.php

But I don't get jack squat when I visit there. I presume the hyphens make it invalid.
Can I just rename the folder?

Are you beginning to see why I favored the one click installation of 1.1.2 from my host?

3rd addition
I renamed the folder smf but still nothing but broken link message from firefox when I go to

http://www.mydomainname.tfl/smf/install.php

Am I just screwed?

kat

Usually, the root of your forum will be in public_html (If you have one).

First, you need the database.

The way I do that, is go to your site's cpanel>Files>backups.

There, you have the facility to restore, as well as backup.

You'll see "Download a MySQL Database Backup" and, to the right, "Restore a MySQL Database".

(This is assuming that your cpanel's the same as mine).

Click "Choose" and navigate to your database, click "Upload" and your database should... er... upload! ;)

Then, if you have a backup of the forum, too, you can do it on the same page, where it says "Restore a Home Directory Backup".

Once you've done that, you should be good to go.

If not, you might need to run this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18096.0

Once that's all done, you can upgrade to v1.1.11.

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 11:46:06 AM
Usually, the root of your forum will be in public_html (If you have one).

First, you need the database.

The way I do that, is go to your site's cpanel>Files>backups.

There, you have the facility to restore, as well as backup.

You'll see "Download a MySQL Database Backup" and, to the right, "Restore a MySQL Database".

(This is assuming that your cpanel's the same as mine).

I had this function at hostmonster.
I don't have it at my new host unless it comes as part of an uploaded SMF.
I called and asked if there is a "Restore a MySQL Database" function anywhere in my account and tec said no.

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 18, 2010, 11:46:06 AM
Click "Choose" and navigate to your database, click "Upload" and your database should... er... upload! ;)

Then, if you have a backup of the forum, too, you can do it on the same page, where it says "Restore a Home Directory Backup".

I have a full backup of the forum that I did directly from the forum before it was shut down.
Default saved itself as
_smf2-complete_2010-08-07.sql.gz  file?    zipped file size shows 187 mb under "properties"

I have a backup of the database from hostmonster default name saved as
smf2.sql.gz   20 bites

Are these all I need, to know that somehow, somewhere, I will be able to restore the forum?
Can I get at least one decent night's sleep?

user1234

Is phpmyadmin something I can install in my own account, or something my host has to install on the server?
http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/index.php

user1234

I am beginning to think that the phone guys at my new host aren't so hot.
I may have found what I needed in the help menu.
I will start fresh in the morning.

user1234

I created an smf forum 1.1.3 with the convenient button provided at my NEW host, to see where it would install.
1. It is listed in the "database" section, and
2. it created a folder the same that you recommended - smf - and put it in where my other home files are.
I found the new install online by adding /smf/  to my old URL as in   .com/smf/index.php

For the heck of it I updated it up to 1.1.11 , by going in and out of admin and clicking on the update link each time. It doesn't find any bugs.
Is this of any value, or is it worthless, since it was created from scratch with a new admin user and password?
Also worthless because it includes an /smf/ in the URL unilke my old URL    .com/index.php   ?

At OLD host hostmonster the default installation scattered smf throughout my home files, rather than put it in a tidy folder, so my URL for the last 2 years, and all links from websites, youtubes, internal post to post links in the forum, search engine cataloging, etc. are to
.com/index.php      without the     /smf/

I don't suppose there a way I can change the URL back to the way it was, by using the admin section in the forum itself?
Some one click kind of thing?

(I went to "admin" then "server settings" then in "core configuration" I erased the /smf suffix on the "Forum URL" and clicked "save" - bad idea. Only the home page loads. To go to any other admin function it goes to the new URL and says bad link. When I add the /smf/ it takes me to where I want to go EXCEPT restoring the /smf to put it back the way it was.)

Should I just throw out what I have as useless and try another clean upload?
I don't suppose there is a file within the 19 files in the folder, that would accept the old downloaded database file, that I have in my computer?
Or a file in the new folder that I could replace with it?

kat

Woah!

You've been busy!

I'm a bit confused, to be honest, with all these versions and stuff, along with things like "Also worthless because it includes an /smf/ in the URL unlike my old URL  .com/smf/index.php "
which seems to contradict itself.

Plus "I called and asked if there is a "Restore a MySQL Database" function anywhere in my account and tec said no." is amazing. If you go to your site's cpanel, is there a section labelled "Files"? If so, isn't there an icon, there, labelled "Backup"?

He reckons that you can't restore a database? That has just got to be utter bollox. (To use a technical term)

You can do that in phpmyadmin, for a start.

In there, just select the database, then "Import".

If you have the database and the forum backed up, it should be really easy, this, if a little time-consuming.

1: Import the database to the site.

2: Restore the backup of the forum that you have.

3: Upgrade to v1.1.11, using the large upgrade.

4: Done!

It may be that you'll need to run this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=18096.0

to correct any path problems that MIGHT crop-up.

I nearly suggested installing v1.1.11, instead of restoring your old 1.1.3, but I'm not sure if there were any changes made to the way it communicates with the database, to be honest. I mean, v1.1.3 is WELL back, so there may well be.

The only way that I can think of, to put SMF in a different directory, yet retain the old URL, is to setup redirects and all that stuff.

I'd suspect that could get a bit flaky, though.

I got your PM. I could help you out, in that way, possibly. Except, of course, I don't have your backups. (I don't charge for my services, here, coz I think it's wrong to charge, to be honest)

Problem is time. I have so much going-on, at the moment, that finding a continuous block of time to do all this is gonna be difficult, I'm afraid.

Have a fiddle around, as I've described, to see if you can get things sorted.

If not, I'll have to try and find a bit of time, when we can get this done.

I can't promise, though. :(

I don't make promises unless I know, 100%, that I can keep them. ;)

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 19, 2010, 08:43:58 AM
Woah!

You've been busy!

I'm a bit confused, to be honest, with all these versions and stuff, along with things like "Also worthless because it includes an /smf/ in the URL unlike my old URL  .com/smf/index.php "
which seems to contradict itself.

That did contradict itself and sorry for adding confusion.
I later wrote
At OLD host hostmonster the default installation scattered smf throughout my home files, rather than put it in a tidy folder, so my URL for the last 2 years, and all links from websites, youtubes, internal post to post links in the forum, search engine cataloging, etc. are to
.com/index.php      without the     /smf/

So my first question is, is there a way that I can get back to my old URL without the /smf/?
I would hate to loose 2 years of search engines meticulously cataloging my forum.
Maybe remove the folder and dump the 19 folders directly into my home file the way they were at hostmonster?

kat

Quote from: user1234 on August 19, 2010, 09:29:25 AMremove the folder and dump the 19 folders directly into my home file the way they were at hostmonster?

That's what I'd do, to be honest.

Less hassle. ;)

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 19, 2010, 09:35:34 AM
Quote from: user1234 on August 19, 2010, 09:29:25 AMremove the folder and dump the 19 folders directly into my home file the way they were at hostmonster?

That's what I'd do, to be honest.

Less hassle. ;)

Is there a chance they could do something like merge with other files in there inadvertently?
Like combine without asking questions like to "replace" an existing file?

kat

"They" being your host?

Why would they need to get involved?

You can just move everything, yourself, using FTP.

Doddle. ;)

user1234

Quote from: K@ on August 19, 2010, 10:50:03 AM
"They" being your host?

Why would they need to get involved?

You can just move everything, yourself, using FTP.

Doddle. ;)

No "they" being the files. Could the files screw up other files in my home folder.

I just printed out the list of 20 files in the /smf/ folder at my NEW host, and found each one in my home files at my OLD host - hostmonster, except for the largest one - schema_41.sql which is the biggest at 36 kb.
But I don't think it would likely be productive for me to much about in there any more.

kat

As long as you don't overwrite anything crucial to something else, you'll be OK.

When you upload them, you'll be asked before you overwrite anything, anyway.

I think the chances of there being duplicate files is nigh-on zero.

By the way, if you use Filezilla, make sure the transfers are set to "Binary", not "Auto".

Bug in Filezilla, unfortunately.

Advertisement: