News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Question about child boards

Started by jjzx2sr, August 19, 2010, 01:07:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjzx2sr

Ok i have an automotive forum and it covers several cars. I wanted to see if it was possible to keep the child boards from being displayed on the index board. I want to have to enter the category to see the child boards. The only reason i am doing this is to clean up the index board.

This possible. I am currently running SMF 2.0 RC3.

My forum is www.fordpowerms.com if you want to see what i mean.
If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer.

Kill Em All

Feel free to attach your theme's boardindex.template.php file.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

CapadY

He asked for an attachement :)
When posting a message on this forum, click "More Options" beneath the textfield, you will be able to attach files with your message.

By the way, if you post code in a message, pleas use the code-tags ( [ code ] here your code [ / code ])
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

jjzx2sr

Yeah i know how to do it, but i read it wrong lol... long day at work

Kill Em All

Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

jjzx2sr

Thank you ill try it momentarily. 

jjzx2sr

Ok i tried that it did indeed stop the child boards from being displayed on the index board. However, yeah i know there always is one, it also messed the board all up. the text and what not was fine. But the layout shifted to the left.

Posted a screenshot.

jjzx2sr

It's just an idea, but this should be an option in the final release of SMF 2.0. a setting to enable or disable child boards from showing up on the index page. It would clean things up a bit.

Kill Em All

That is strange, I do not get this problem on mine. Would you mind if you upload it back to your site so I can try and view your site.

jjzx2sr

jjzx2sr

I uploaded it back

Kill Em All

What mods do you have installed?

jjzx2sr

I have 2 mods, ajax chat and Avea media.

Kill Em All

Try this one. Hopefully it will work, if not, I'm probably just as confused as you are.

jjzx2sr

well i appreciate the effort but its still screwed up lol.

Kill Em All

One last time, think I got it this time. Then go to Admin>languages>select your language>drop down select general strings and find "parent_boards", remove child boards>save

jjzx2sr

Um im a little lost with that last bit of instructions.

jjzx2sr

I applied it, looks better. all i can see is the word Subforum. i included the screenshot, i really appreciate all the help, if you were local and drank i'd gift you with a  case of beer lol. Could you explain the last set of instructions about Admin- languages and etc in further detail. 

Kill Em All

In you admin control panel, look in the configuration tab, it will drop down and you should see an option that says languages. Click that, then a list of your installed language(s) will show, select your forum's language, then under Edit Language Entries, there will be a drop down on the right, find the option that says general strings and click that. Then find the entry that says "parent_boards" without quotes. Delete the text in the text box under it and then click the save button at the bottom.

jjzx2sr

Ok i did that and it got ride of the words. Thanks looks pretty good all that is left is a strip across where the child boards used to be listed but i can i live with that.

Kill Em All

Glad your happy. I'll mark this solved for you then. :)

Advertisement: