News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

[WIP] Menu Editor

Started by Matthew K., August 21, 2010, 09:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

~DS~

You promised to support your existing mods for the community and most of them hadn't been updated in a while...
"There is no god, and that's the simple truth. If every trace of any single religion were wiped out and nothing were passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again. There might be some other nonsense in its place, but not that exact nonsense. If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it all out again."
~Penn Jillette – God, NO! – 2011

Deaks

so can you see why people are skeptical?
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Alright guys, lets cool it down.

Can we encourage his creation and help him out with it rather than going against it? Atleast he's giving a shot by doing some work over it while all the offenders just bring the hopes down. Give him some tips on how can he overcome the problems rather than, "Just bin it dude! It is waaaay out of your league!"

Kill Em All

Quote from: Oya on August 25, 2010, 07:06:05 PM
Quote from: Kcmartz on August 25, 2010, 06:54:55 PM
Labradoodle, I didn't mean it as a contest, its just vB and your mods have been so helpful!

and what about all the mods everyone else has written aren't they helpful
I personally don't use Labradoodle's or vB's mods, not that they are bad, they are great mods, my site just doesn't have a need for them.

And I'll repeat myself for those who have trouble understanding a compliment, they are great mods.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Oya

that doesnt answer my question are you all saying that everyone elses mods are rubbish or what

hadesflames

Quote from: Robbo_ on August 25, 2010, 02:53:02 PM
Quote from: hadesflames on August 25, 2010, 09:42:03 AM
Quote from: Robbo_ on August 25, 2010, 08:42:12 AM
I still think you are in over your head. You don't understand the complications of this mod. It is very simple in theory.

Depending on how he does it, it can be quite easy to make. If he's doing it the way I think he's doing it, then it won't be too hard to code, it also won't be too customizable.
Sorry. But I don't believe you know what you are talking about. If he wants to do it how it should be done then there are various 'hoops to jump' simply because of how SMF is coded. I am already making a menu manager which will be out when I have time and I have met these 'hoops' and know how to get over them. It is just a matter of having time.

No, it is that you do not understand what I mean. What I mean is that if Labradoodle does his mod the way I think he will, HIS version of it will not be so complex, and it will also not be all that customizable. I know what it takes to make this mod work at its fullest potential. My version already does everything it needs to do.

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

@Oya
No we aren't. We like everyone's creativeness on whatever they code and we really appreciate your skills. If they weren't up to the standards, they wouldn't have passed customization. ;)

Deaks

Quote from: (F.L.A.M.E.R) on August 25, 2010, 09:04:02 PM
@Oya
No we aren't. We like everyone's creativeness on whatever they code and we really appreciate your skills. If they weren't up to the standards, they wouldn't have passed customization. ;)

really, why has a customizer admitted to not testing one of his own mods, that should have been tested before it got approved...

also there is:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=368901.0 - where it breaks a core SMF function in the process and http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=368902.0 and even http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=382553.msg2636732#msg2636732

and just while im giving you links admittance from vbgamer:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=364169.msg2577310#msg2577310

shall I continue ... why not ... further admittance:

http://arantor.org/index.php?topic=112.msg1705#msg1705 - "Antispam links was a mistake I thought it would work due to the fact it was the exact same mod used on SMF site so released it as customize user." and http://arantor.org/index.php?topic=112.msg1709#msg1709

I am also sure there are some on my site :)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Matthew K.

If this continues, in all honesty, I am going to lock this topic.

I am SO TIRED of discouraging comments and such as this topic clearly displays. And yes, I have left SMF before with no intent on returning before due to such topics and posts such as Runic has carried on in a WORK IN PROGRESS. - NOT bash Labradoodle-360 and his past work.

It seems to me that no one can look past the beginning experience of a new coder and see the potential they could have. As, since June, I have definitely learned enough to code this mod.

I am also saddened even by hadesflames responses, I take as slight insults of my coding skill/knowledge to not cover the basis to have a good powerful Menu Editor mod.

As for Dismal Shadow's post, I am updating my mods, I have been working on a mod site since June, to better support my mods, and also so a team and I could write better ones and improve the ones I currently have; so this is still in the works, and I never promised a timeframe.

Deaks

then prove us wrong!!! its that simple
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Matthew K.

I don't plan on proving anybody wrong. Except for you.

Deaks

and hadesflames and everyone that doubts you ... as you well know im not the only one ... also contradicting yourself isnt a good step forward ;)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

Matthew K.

People can doubt me, they'll be surprised in the end. That's their choice. And I have no problem with people doubting me, that's life, it's going to happen.

The thing I have a problem with is people posting discouraging comments and insults on my Work in Progress topic.

Deaks

of course its going to happen, look at your 30 other mods, its perfect example why people doubt you.  You have promised many times you will do something and you never follow through, thats also why people doubt you, two months to get a mod site up look at arantor took him 1 hour, took me 4 days and im not a modder.  Updating your mods yeh you will get to them when? when a forum crashes? when you have caused someone to lose everything?
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Runic on August 25, 2010, 09:56:28 PM
of course its going to happen, look at your 30 other mods, its perfect example why people doubt you.  You have promised many times you will do something and you never follow through, thats also why people doubt you, two months to get a mod site up look at arantor took him 1 hour, took me 4 days and im not a modder.  Updating your mods yeh you will get to them when? when a forum crashes? when you have caused someone to lose everything?
Why would they crash a whole forum when for you they are "Tweaks"? The real question is... why are you bulling him? I'm not in any side... but you should leave him do whatever he wants to, and then criticize him as much as you want.

Discouraging people shouldn't be the idea of this board... and even when i'm not the greatest coder ever, i know what i can do and what i can't, and i hate (and most people do) when someone only point that and not the effort.

Deaks

DM: even a small change can cause issues,  specially if the code in first place is buggy.  and this isnt bullying this is stating what is obvious through past and current actions (its also in essence a famous motivational principle well the fundamentals of it is)
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

DoctorMalboro

Quote from: Runic on August 25, 2010, 10:11:29 PM
DM: even a small change can cause issues,  specially if the code in first place is buggy.  and this isnt bullying this is stating what is obvious through past and current actions (its also in essence a famous motivational principle well the fundamentals of it is)
I know you tell the truth... and that's something that i like about you... but sometimes you must know when to stop, before you become a troll and not an advisor.

You have good points, but you don't have (yet) a valid argument, because the mod isn't even available as beta or RC... maybe it can be a disaster, maybe don't... there's your chance to help him, to make him a better coder... but it's up to you... i know there's good on you, Runic... somewhere :P

Deaks

I am helping him, more than you see, go read on motivational theories by Herzberg
~~~~
Former SMF Customizer

itsel."

hadesflames

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on August 25, 2010, 09:42:14 PM
I am also saddened even by hadesflames responses, I take as slight insults of my coding skill/knowledge to not cover the basis to have a good powerful Menu Editor mod.

All I've said thus far is that if you're coding it the way I assume you are, then it won't be as powerful as mine. Hence my question:

Quote from: hadesflames on August 24, 2010, 11:58:46 PM
So Labradoodle, might I ask how you plan on doing this mod?

Matthew K.

As of now, I am working on the framework, the queries for adding, removing and the actual buttons.

Edit: Not to raise confusion or so people don't assume it's taken me this long to write the simple queries.
But I have overhauled the system 3 times as I have found better approaches and more effective ways of writing the code. So my time for these functions have been in optimization to make sure they're at their best.

I'm not to Modifying/Changing Position, which are, as I feel the two most difficult things.

Advertisement: