News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to stop bots visiting forum?

Started by bharat_forum, November 21, 2013, 06:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bharat_forum

Is there a way to stop bots visiting forum?

Kindred

not really.

You can use robots.txt to stop good bots like google and yahoo...  but bad bots ignore it.

Unless you don't actually mean bots visiting... you might mean SPAM posters.
In which case, there are lots of things that you can do.
Read the FAQ, for one...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

a10

To stop bot registrations & posting is easy, but stop them visiting is another matter > the risk of locking out legit users + getting slowdowns.

Posted some practical experiences here.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Kindred

Specifically: this FAQ article
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

even if they are not actively posting spam messages, the same holds true for all the potential spam-bot registrations.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: