News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Windows hosting.

Started by Touti, September 03, 2010, 02:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Touti

I'm not sure where I should put that topic so please forgive me if it's not the right place.  I'm trying to see if I can save money by switching host and/or server.  I currently run a VPS but soon I will only have one domain for emails and one for a small SMF forum so I no longer need (nor can I justify) a 50$/month VPS.  That said, I can't bring myself to go back to shared hosting and live with all the issues and horror stories that come with them so I need something in between.  I'm very satisfied with my current host and I was looking at their Windows hosting. 

They have one that would be in my price range but I'm wondering if it's got enough power.  It's a Windows 2003 VPS with 384 Megs of RAM.  I don't need a control panel and the VPS comes with 2 IP addresses which is enough for my 2 web sites.

I am just wondering if a Windows server with 384 megs of RAM can run MySQL, PHP and SMF 1.1.11 (and 2.x when it's released) at a reasonable speed.

dabears

This one might need to get moved to the server section of the forum. You base your server needs really regarding amount of online users and bandwidth your using each month.

If your on a decent host and have say 40-50 online at a time you would be fine. If your online users is 100+ you may need to look at a VPS or dedicated box.

That being said I am sure some hosts will tell you they support 100+ on a shared box and have no issues. Depends on the hosts and how well there boxes are configured.

Advertisement: