[Preview] YaBB SE Next Gen

Started by akyhne, September 06, 2010, 05:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Akyhne

Maybe to be released at some point....

YaBB Classic 2010 is just being made to test my own skills. It's a huge task compared to just making a few tweaks to the Curve theme.
YaBB Classic 2010 is based on Curve, so it will add a lot of things that was not in the original YaBB SE Classic theme in SMF1.x

Is it dead before being borned, as people needs to make custom language buttons?
Nope, of course I don't use image buttons for the theme. Only if you want custom menu links, you need to make a small icon 18*18px and then edit an array in the theme. It's very simple, really.

Will it be lacking features
No, it's a theme based on Curve, so everything in Curve will be in this theme.

If it will be released, then when will it be released?
It's a huge task to make this theme. More or less like starting all over. I'm not sure I'm bothering making the final version, until after SMF goes gold.

Is the theme supposed to look and feel exactly like the original YaBB SE Classic?
No, I wouldn't bother then. I'm trying to give it a more fresh look with backgrounds etc., but still keeping it close to the original.

How about installing mods in this theme? Will there be issues
Almost for sure!

The menu buttons are not exactly the same as in the original YaBB theme!
No... the original ones are to ugly...

Is there a demo page?
http://themes.e-debatten.dk/index.php

Antechinus

This is actually probably a much better idea than trying to update the original. The whole thing really needed to be rewritten anyway.

Akyhne

If you got any ideas for the top section, shoot!

Antechinus

I'd just make it look like the original but using Curve's markup and css as much as possible. Don't have any real ideas at the moment as it's been so long since I looked at Classic.

Same approach would be worth taking for a Babylon update too IMO.

ETA: Well original but with better icons, etc. ;)

DoctorMalboro

I hate the top... but Norv's idea it's just great... ;)

Akyhne

I didn't do anything to the top yet.

Akyhne

Quote from: Antechinus on September 06, 2010, 08:49:40 PM
I'd just make it look like the original but using Curve's markup and css as much as possible. Don't have any real ideas at the moment as it's been so long since I looked at Classic.
I do reuse as much from Curve as possible. Attached images of the SMF 1.1.x YaBB Classic.

Same approach would be worth taking for a Babylon update too IMO.
I've seen enough of that 1.

ETA: Well original but with better icons, etc. ;)
Yeah, I try to enhance them where possible. But some of them are actually pretty nice - nicer than the same in Curve.

DoctorMalboro

I mean that i don't like this top...  ;)

Akyhne

I only put it there, as it was a bit confusing in the beginning when designing the theme if I was looking on a Curve theme or the YaBB theme.
As I mentioned earlier, nothing has been done to the top section.

One of the reasons I didn't edit the header, is because YaBB Classic doesn't show people's own avatar in the header. And I know a lot of people are annoyed SMF showing their own avatar in the header, as they already know how it looks like.
So I don't know if I'll let that one stay or remove it.

Akyhne

Antechinus

I'd ditch the avatar in the header myself. I've always thought it was pointless since as you say everyone knows what their avatar is. Much cleaner without it, especially on sites that allow larger avatars.

Akyhne

A suggestion for the look of the top section:

bloc

Looks good so far..but why have the curved header? You might just as well just use the gradient(without the curves), seems more true to it then. I agreed the icons should stay, they are quite nice.

Oh, and this lol: the menu buttons needs to be rounder, the original had very nice rounded endcaps. Should not be too hard to mimic those using the sprites graphic?

Akyhne

Attached another gradient without rounded corners.
I don't like the 100% rounded corners in Classic, that's why I made something between. But they could probably be more rounder.

Quote from: Bloc on September 08, 2010, 03:17:48 AM
I agreed the icons should stay, they are quite nice.
The menu button icons? They are more or less all enhanced or will be. I might make the menu buttons less tall - that will automatically mean rounder corners.

Attached a snapshot of new star icons in the first post. The original ones are fugly.

Deaks

see i like the top in classic, personally i think you should make your header look like that but more modernised

logo| user info

on same line
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

bloc

Quote from: Akyhne on September 08, 2010, 10:19:46 AM
Attached another gradient without rounded corners.
I don't like the 100% rounded corners in Classic, that's why I made something between. But they could probably be more rounder.

Quote from: Bloc on September 08, 2010, 03:17:48 AM
I agreed the icons should stay, they are quite nice.
The menu button icons? They are more or less all enhanced or will be. I might make the menu buttons less tall - that will automatically mean rounder corners.

Attached a snapshot of new star icons in the first post. The original ones are fugly.

Yes, I meant the buttons. They were *very* round lol, but thats was part of the charm I think.

And yes, I think the non-curved gradient works better. In fact, I would make it go all the way out to the border and to the top, then apply the logo just on top of it. The white "shelf" up there seem to split the top in two, I would just remove it.

Akyhne

Quote from: Bloc on September 08, 2010, 03:13:27 PM
...then apply the logo just on top of it. The white "shelf" up there seem to split the top in two, I would just remove it.
Not quite sure what you mean.

Akyhne

Rounded buttons... doesn't look to bad, really.

bloc

Precisely. :) They did make that theme really.

I meant to remove the white background for the header logo area and let the gradient go all the way up.

Akyhne

Played some more with this theme, and changed the menu buttons to look like in the original theme. Of course they are still not images, but works with divs.

I must admit this task went larger than I would have thought. Basing it on Curve, it shows that Curve was not intended to be used as base for themes with box look. But I'm getting there, admin section and moderation section is done.

As you can see on the attached image, I also changed the sub menu links to use same face as the menu buttons, where the old Classic used simple links.

Advertisement: