News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Feature Request - Install packages to later installed themes...

Started by MoreBloodWine, September 09, 2010, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoreBloodWine

Not quite sure what you would call it but this is a request for soemthing I'd like to see implemented into 2.0 which I hope is taken seriously as it proves ot be extremely useful.

Ok, so as it stands with RC3 during the initial installation of packages you have the option to install their language strings and stuff to other themes. Well, lets say you got soemthing like 10 packages or so (20 with me) installed and you later decide to install a new theme. Well, to get the language strings installed for the new theme you have to go through each package and uninstall thene reinstall it. Well here's where my idea comes in to play...

I would like to see an extra option on the package manager page where it shows the packages you have but an extra "install" option that would allow you to instal theme specific language strings and stuff.

I hope I made this clear, the idea looks and sounds good in my head lol
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

MoreBloodWine

That post is a slight joke given it's wording, this is a request for the next version of SMF which is 2.0. Until it's final it's still requestable IMO.

Edit: As to why no one would have even considered this as far as I know is beyond me since it is something that should be addressed.
Want a sig like mine for your BTCGuild stats ? Then check this out: Spend-ur-Bits

live627

What part of feature fixed don't you understand?

Why is it beyond you that this feature has never been considered? I can tell you're no coder. It is plainly obvious why this "feature" won't be considered vby the devs. Think of the implications. Once you install a mod, how would it be able to guess which theme will be added in the future? Code cannot be added to a non-existent file. That is why source edits are much more favorable. With edits to the source files, all themes are naturally supported.

Refute this. Anybody. Any good, and I mean good, modder/themer/coder/programmer/whatever knows I am right.

MoreBloodWine

Im locking this for your god liek attitude and smart ass ness... Who cares if Im no coder, who cares if you are... as for implications, ooh my god... we shold be scared of implications for being able to add language strings... gee that might break something.

Kindred

MoreBloodWine,

Whatever the tone might have been, I thought that my post was extremely clear.

2.0 is feature fixed. There will be NO MORE FEATURES added to 2.0.
The only work happening on 2.0 is bug fixes so that we can get RC4 released, tested and get 2.0 gold out.

2.0 is *NOT* the "next" release. 2.0 is the current release that is currently in RC mode.

And, to answer your question...   it is unlikely. Your request is much more complicated than you seem to think; to edit the template files on a new theme for previously installed mods would create a nightmare of "bookkeeping" for the mods... So, if you install a theme later, then you will have to manually apply mods. It's the nature of the beast.

...and language strings?   Most themes don't use the modifications.[language].php....   so it falls to the default, which should be modded. So, your explanation of why you think you need this seems rather bizarre to me. 
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Norv

Actually I've seen this feature quite requested (and very needed) in Support boards.

IMHO however, it remains to be seen how much interest there is in adding it in future 2.x versions (post 2.0) - seeing that it may indeed be not so straightforward to implement.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

live627

You'll be wasting your time...

I know this can be done, but it'll be ugly, hackish, and the return on investment will be too little to warrant such a feature. But if you really want to go forward with this in the future, I can't stop you.

An idea related to this that is vastly  better and damn the torpedoes: Explicitly enforce new mods to avoid theme edits like the plague. Sure it'll be a challenge, but the reward is great thereof.

Norv

"Hackish"? Allow me to doubt that. If it is to be considered, it will not be done in any "hackish" way.

"Return on investment"? Ask the Support team and helpers from the community.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

MoreBloodWine

Thing is, if you need to install a mod to a new theme you have to uninstall and reinstall for the language strings or whatever. Ok sure you could copy them out of the file and hand edit em in but thats just a PIA if you have liek 20 soemthing mods.

Either way I guess I'll end this here given time past and what seems to be a big disinterest. Just thought I'd throw 2 more cents in.

Edit: If interest somehow gets peaked I'll be back.

Norv

MoreBloodWine,

This has been requested in the past, and there is no disinterest in it. Please don't take it badly.
However, we will likely investigate it at some point (for future 2.x versions). Yes, it could be rejected, but to be replaced with a better and more error proof system, than modding, then. Because the problem is real and a long standing problem of any admin of modded SMF forums.
Thank you for bringing it up.

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Norv on November 19, 2010, 11:46:09 PM
MoreBloodWine,

This has been requested in the past, and there is no disinterest in it. Please don't take it badly.
However, we will likely investigate it at some point (for future 2.x versions). Yes, it could be rejected, but to be replaced with a better and more error proof system, than modding, then. Because the problem is real and a long standing problem of any admin of modded SMF forums.
Bringing it up is one thing but to be honest your the first person whos really shown any genuine interest. I would hope though that as a lead dev u would have a signifigant amount of weight in getting this done even if it turns out to be a "better" idea.

MoreBloodWine

Quote from: Norv on November 19, 2010, 11:46:09 PM
MoreBloodWine,

I forgot about this until I just got a move notification on it but this is still something I'd like to see implemented ;-)

emanuele

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

lurkalot

Quote from: emanuele on April 07, 2013, 10:46:35 AM
Cross reference: http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=501315.0

emanuele, thanks, for linking to my take on this subject.  I did do a quick search, but didn't find it until after I posted.

emanuele

No problem. ;)

I'm just trying to use these three boards (plus the bug reports) like a real bug/feature tracker, so duplicate bugs/requests are closed and cross-linked (when I find a duplicate/have time/remember/etc. :P) just to try keep the discussions in the minimum number of topics (of course anyone with moderation power is welcome to do the same :P).

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

lurkalot

Sorry to drag this one up again, but.

This in the online manual http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Installation_-_How_do_I_install_a_theme  Makes no mention of existing mods.  Shouldn't it also say after installing a theme, you should then un-install all your mods and then re-install them to make them work with your new theme?

Or install themes first, then install mods, or something along those lines. ;)

Illori

if you have an issue with the wiki it would be best to post in http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?board=202.0 and remember the wiki is a wiki so anyone can edit it. this is not the place to note issues with the wiki. IMO that page is just about installing a theme and should not include anything about mods, maybe an FAQ page may be useful but from what i have seen most people install the theme first then mods after.

Advertisement: