Changing on/off buttons: problem with authorization (777 impossible)

Started by sd2, September 16, 2010, 10:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sd2

Hello everyone,

Having recently created a forum, I'm still under construction/tests and one thing (at least for now...) bothers me.
I'm trying to change the "new messages"/"no new messages" buttons (on/off.png). I've created them and thought I would just put them in the theme's folder to replace the original ones.
Trouble is Cyberduck is sending me a message saying I can't (authorization denied). The buttons are set (by default) to 644. I've tried changing them to 777 (by clicking the file, getting infos and checking all boxes) but when I check one of the uncheck boxes (Other:write, for example), it remains unchecked as if it was protected...
The same goes for many other folders such as "img".

I'm not good at chmod and all that stuff, any idea?
The theme I'm using is not the default one, it's Loner 2RC3, could it be protected in some way?...
Thanks for any help.
Mat

Deaks

instead of using ftp client to change them try doing it via file manager, also try changing the chmode via file manager
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

sd2

Thanks for the reply Bryan.
I might sound completely stupid but what File manager are you talking about? I don't see anything like this in SMF's administration Center...

sd2

Huuum, a little search can help.
Would that be what you're talking about?...

EDIT: I've just downloaded the package and have tried to install it but I get a warning saying:
"Error in Package Installation
At least one error was encountered during a test installation of this package. It is strongly recommended that you do not continue with installation unless you know what you are doing, and have made a backup very recently. This error may be caused by a conflict between the package you're trying to install and another package you have already installed, an error in the package, a package which requires another package that you don't have installed yet, or a package designed for another version of SMF."

And a log saying test failed (see attachment below).

Should I install anyway (the package is V 2.0 RC2 compatible, I'm in 2.0 RC3)?...

Deaks

no your file manager is in your cpanel for your hosting, this issue isnt smf related fully :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

sd2

sd2

OK, I think I know what the problem was. I hadn't noticed it in Cyberduck but those files were set to httpd as administrator. I've read it's a classic problem (the Apache server being administrator). Good news is I could set it back to me as administrator.
Thanks for pointing me to the right direction!

Advertisement: