News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

copyright is hidden :o

Started by Alex' Manson, September 17, 2010, 05:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Jake Deutschland on September 18, 2010, 04:56:21 PM
Let me see if anyone will seem to understand this, if I am trying to be more clear about this.

The license itself doesn't state that the copyright can't be hidden. The document about the removal of the copyrights says it can't be hidden. It would be one thing if the admin had the copyright the same color as the background of the site, but you can still see it. It is a teal-ish gray, and the background is a lighter gray, so naturally, it's going to look somewhat hidden. However, that doesn't matter. Legally, neither the admin or theme author broke any agreements or go against the license.

Did that make sense this time?

If those are in fact the license agreements and that is the situation, I do not see an issue, as long as it can be seen its fine.

Quote from: Joker™ on September 18, 2010, 04:58:31 PM
kids always like spoon feeding :P
They Sure do :P

SMF 2.0 RC5

Webhost to New Webhost file transfer service, PM me - Fast transfers

Jakob Fel

You know, I just realized that this was turned into a huge legal argument. :P I didn't intend to spark any flames, and if I did, it was just because I was trying to defend the OP. :P
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

busterone

Indeed. It has gone way off from the OP's original questions.
Quote from: skander1345 on September 17, 2010, 11:07:22 PM
k, guys i asked for the code i must put on the index.css to make it white..
I posted one, but to be honest, I am not even sure if it is accepted myself. Someone from the team with the authority to declare once and for all what should be done needs to respond here to settle all questions.

Oya

Quote from: busterone on September 18, 2010, 06:54:08 PM
I posted one, but to be honest, I am not even sure if it is accepted myself. Someone from the team with the authority to declare once and for all what should be done needs to respond here to settle all questions.

kindred did didnt he

busterone

I missed something in his post before. I stand corrected I think?  :)
If everything is as I have read and understood, then the background of the theme must be altered, and the css for the footer remain unchanged. 

However, the output color of all the general forum links (Including the copyright links), unless otherwise declared differently in index.css is controlled by the following (default theme) - 
/* Normal, standard links. */
a:link, a:visited
{
color: #346;
text-decoration: none;
}

Changing that color value will change the copyright link colors as well, but then the rest of the forum general links probably will not match the theme either.

From what I am getting out of all this myself, that is the only acceptable way other than simply altering the background.

Kindred

here's the deal... the OUTPUT of the copyright function must remain unaltered. This does not apply to CSS.

The "must be visible" is a standard requirement for copyright (Otherwise, why require a copyright at all, if you're allowed to hide it?)

So, you are allowed to set CSS for the copyright.
You are allowed to add text before and after.

The only thing we care about, per the SMF license is that the copyright is present (i.e. visible) and unaltered (in terms of output)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

busterone

That is how I had perceived it to be all along until this topic was started. Thanks for the clarification.  :)
It is ok to change the css to make the copyright visible as I had previously believed.

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Kindred on September 18, 2010, 10:02:32 PM
here's the deal... the OUTPUT of the copyright function must remain unaltered. This does not apply to CSS.

The "must be visible" is a standard requirement for copyright (Otherwise, why require a copyright at all, if you're allowed to hide it?)

The only thing we care about, per the SMF license is that the copyright is present (i.e. visible) and unaltered (in terms of output)

Now that's fool proof lol.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Deaks

Jake this is not the first time you have tried this and you lost the debate last time, when are you gonna grow up and accept you dont know as much as you claim.

lord alibaski: this is a typical issue and isnt limited to that mod, happens few times with other mods, I suggest you use avea lite by nao, its better coded and wont break your site :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Joker™

Quote from: JohnCcCcCc on September 18, 2010, 11:32:59 PM

Now that's fool proof lol.
A guy having his avatar saying "Community Support Helper " should have already knew that :).
Github Profile
Android apps
Medium

How to enable Post Moderation

"For the wise man looks into space and he knows there is no limited dimensions." - Laozi

All support seeking PM's get microwaved

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

That's actually my "Personal Text", not my avatar lol.

Which part are you referring to, the part I should have already known?
I have not seen anybody else mention this before Kindred, not exactly like that anyway, so, that would go to say, nobody here knew it, so their is no point is claiming who should have known, when you don't even know yourself...

SMF 2.0 RC5

Jakob Fel

John, your avatar has a sign that says that.

Bryan,

I don't claim to know a ton, but I don't find it illegal to not break an agreement. (If that made sense. :P )
Freelance writer and advocate for security, privacy & DRM-free distribution
Support and Community Management at SMFNew Free Forum Hosting

ɔɔɔɔɔɔuɥoɾ

Quote from: Jake Deutschland on September 19, 2010, 11:38:50 AM
John, your avatar has a sign that says that.
Yea "a sign". its not my avatar, their are other aspects too, you have been missing a lot of those, especially in this topic.

Quote from: Jake Deutschland on September 19, 2010, 11:38:50 AM
Bryan,

I don't claim to know a ton, but I don't find it illegal to not break an agreement. (If that made sense. :P )

Kindred already has explained this to you, stop posting and accept it, its been laid out in crayon so even you can understand it.

Read this carefully, then leave this topic alone, its done.
Agreement explained, copyright explained.

SMF 2.0 RC5

Kill Em All

Locked, if you don't understand Kindred's post and don't agree with it, then maybe you shouldn't be using SMF, JuStSaYiN.

My Site: KEAGaming.com

Manual Installation of Mods
Prevent Spam and Forum Attacks
Please do not PM or email me for support unless offered, help should be publicly displayed to others.

Advertisement: