News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Simple Machines forms as an NPO

Started by Kindred, September 23, 2010, 10:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurtleKicker

Quote from: IchBin™ on September 25, 2010, 12:21:26 PM
PurpleCrow, it basically means that SMF is no longer owned by a single person. It's been given back to the community in a sense that no single person owns the software. IMO, SMF may possibly allow (in the future) community members to possibly participate in the board etc. Having SMF owned by many, makes the project more accountable to the community rather than to a person. Many of the Team members past and present have wanted this for a very long time. Hopefully a less restrictive license will be tied to this down the road.

Quote from: K@ on September 25, 2010, 01:58:34 PM
One member:One vote.

On ALL matters.

Those of you wondering what this actually means for the end-user...

Immediately? Nothing. In the future, though... probably some great improvements and benefits for SMF.

It's impossible to be able to specifically say what... but without dredging up the drama of recent past, suffice it to say that the previous organizational structure was hurting SMF. Not only development by existing team members, but it lead to many quality developers departing from the project. SMF suffered due to a insufficiently-sized development team, leading to much delay of SMF2. Who knows what progress and features the SMF community has missed out on due to people not contributing in the previous corporate structure?

One can hope that with this monumental change, we might see the team grow and more talent jumping on-board, old and new, which will benefit SMF as a whole.

That's the benefit to the end user. It won't be immediate, but it's a breath of fresh air that could lead to wonderful things.

Oya

seemed to me from all the drama that it was the people themselves not the organisational structure that was causing the trouble

i know some people dont believe it'll improve here even after it goes npo

cybernet

still waiting for the RC4 :o
thanks for announce ;)

phill104

Quote from: cybernet on September 30, 2010, 02:25:23 PM
still waiting for the RC4 :o
thanks for announce ;)

Why go for so many RCs's? Aside from a few things here and there isn't a stable release in order? Maybe now with a new team the long awaited development of SMF2 can be upon us.

As for all the wrangling. I've been watching the development of SMF for a long time in the background. I've enjoyed watching it grow and the enthusiasm fro many team members and supporters was impressive. Then it all seemed to go wrong. Even as an onlooker I wanted to come and bang some heads together. Now it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel and things can move one.

As for the size of the team I think that doesn't matter too much as long as you have a dedicated core willing to put the work in. I'm fortunate enough to be involved with an open source product (Coppermine) and the amount of work put in by a very small team is incredible but new blood is always helpful. With all that has happened here and the development apparently stalled some new, enthusiastic team members could be just what you need to re-ignite the fire.

Please do not waste too much time arguing all the legal stuff and get back to developing SMF to the potential we all know it has.

Kindred

Aain, this topic is not about licenses or releases.

However: We have RC releases because, unlike some other software, we will only release a "gold" release when it is of truly gold quality. We are not going to release something with known major issues and then make a 'service pack' release shortly after.   THAT is not quality.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

feline

Quote from: Kindred on September 30, 2010, 03:24:18 PM
We are not going to release something with known major issues and then make a 'service pack' release shortly after.   THAT is not quality.
Absolutely true .. And .. it's a DEV release out for Charter Member so anyone can take a look at the functions and features they a coming RC4 will have.

Fel

Dannii

The real question is why have they been labelled as RCs rather than betas. Feature creep I suspect?
"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

Antechinus

Kindred

Not really.   Perhaps RC1 should have been a beta... RC2 was the first candidate, but the fixes for RC2 required a change in several areas which required a new RC.  RC3 was definitely a candidate... however, like RC2, there were some significant issues. Less drastic changes than RC2 to RC3, but it definitely needs an RC4 to recheck before the final.

There has been no feature creep....   As anyone can tell by the way I shoot down any feature requests that even the developers suggest be added to RC4. Creep is the bane of any PM's existence... :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Antechinus

Yeah but we just add stuff to the revs without telling you. ;D

Seriously, I would have called RC3 the first real RC. The earlier ones should really have been called betas IMHO.

ARG01

Definitely great news. Congratz SMF. Now, just waiting for RC4. If you had a thumb twiddling icon it would be placed here.

;)
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Danpotter

Really very gr8 news...congrats to whole SMF  team... :D

Farmacija

Thanks God, it was a time.

Now u can focus on work on smf 2.0 final, we're waiting on it for a long time. :)
www.farmaceuti.com
www.farmaceuti.com/tekstovi

edjon2000

This sounds like a major step forward it's great news :)

willerby

Been watching the various topics on SMF structure, personal issues and the loss of key developers, and of course the SMF 2 betas vs RCs vs Gold. Some worried me for a while as things looked like they could go very wrong.  So congrats and thanks to all involved in sorting out the legal structure, even those who stepped aside to help (or encourage) things to happen.

I'm still running SMF2.0 on a live site. Not had a single issue that couldn't be resolved within an hour or two through this forum.

Keep at it.

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

kat

There's still a lot of work to be done and some personality clashes to quash, sadly.

We'll get there, though, with a following wind. ;)

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: willerby on October 07, 2010, 04:27:48 PM
Been watching the various topics on SMF structure, personal issues and the loss of key developers, and of course the SMF 2 betas vs RCs vs Gold. Some worried me for a while as things looked like they could go very wrong.  So congrats and thanks to all involved in sorting out the legal structure, even those who stepped aside to help (or encourage) things to happen.

I'm still running SMF2.0 on a live site. Not had a single issue that couldn't be resolved within an hour or two through this forum.

Keep at it.

I think you're on to something here. I've been running SMF2.0 RC3 on many forums since its release and the only time I had problems was when I used a mod for RC3. About half of my forums are out of the box (no mods) and those have all been rock solid.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Exion

Tristan Perry

Finally. Glad to hear it. Hopefully this will help to sort out some (edit, all) of the.. issues and get the SMF project back on track.

TechTitan

I last use SMF pre Joomla bridge fiasco... after that stop using SMF since it seemed stagnant...
Will use SMF again when 2.0 is released...  :)

Anyway congrats for SMF new direction and keep up the good work... ;)

p/s: would like to read [unknown] comments... :P
--:: .... ::--
Checkin' SMF from time to time

Advertisement: