News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

RC3 Database Issues

Started by DirtRider, September 24, 2010, 09:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtRider

Since I have upgraded to RC3 I seem to be having issues with my database. I will log onto the forum and hit all unread topics and nothing will show. I know that there are new topic. I then got into forum view and it will show the amount of topics in each forum as normal. On entering the forum no threads will be visible. However the pages will all be showing at the top of that forum. I then need to go into admin and optimized all tables or my hosts cPanel and repair database all threads will then be back as they should be.  :-\
http://www.triumphtalk.com

"The real question is not whether machines think but whether men do. "

gbsothere

What version did you upgrade to RC3 from, DirtRider, and did you receive any errors during the upgrade? 

Also, can you tell me how you performed the upgrade (using ftp, or your Cpanel, etc.)?

Are you using a custom theme and what mods do you have installed?
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

DirtRider

I was running RC2 an did and FTP large upgrade. My mods remained about the same in fact I drop one or two, themes by BlocWeb.

Themes
ModernDark32 (2.0 RC3)
Minerva (2.0 RC3
Ganymedes (2.0 RC3)
Argentum (2.0 RC3
Helios Multi (2.0 RC3
Phoenix (2.0 RC3)

Mods
InfoBox      0.3
Board Notices      1.0.1
Team Page      3.2
Country Flags      1.1.1 (This is a new one that I did not use before)
PortaMx v0.980
Welcome Topic Mod      2.1
NiceTooltips      1.6
Order Custom Profile Fields      1.1 (This is a new one that I did not use before)
Yet Another Global Announcements Mod      2.7.3
Default Signature      1.0  (This is a new one that I did not use before)
Hide Ignored Boards      1.1
Birthday Posts      0.12.1 Beta
Hide Edited Line      1.1.0
RSS Feeder      1.1.4
Users Online Today      1.5.5
Hide Membergroup Titles      1.0
vMoveTopic Notify by PM      1.1.3
Aeva Media      2.01
Contact Page      2.1.1
PM to New Members      1.2
Tidy Child Boards      1.3

gbsothere

Normally, moving from RC2 to RC3 would have required only the small update package.  When you change to Curve, are you still experiencing the issues with the topics, or is this only unique to using a custom theme?

Also, what errors are in your error log that seem to be related?

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

DirtRider

Quote from: gbsothere on September 24, 2010, 10:07:15 AM
Normally, moving from RC2 to RC3 would have required only the small update package.  When you change to Curve, are you still experiencing the issues with the topics, or is this only unique to using a custom theme?

Also, what errors are in your error log that seem to be related?

I will have to check all this next time it does it. I never had error logging on so I cannot look at this. I have turn it on and also this "Include database query in the error log" option

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 10:31:01 AM

I will have to check all this next time it does it. I never had error logging on so I cannot look at this. I have turn it on and also this "Include database query in the error log" option

I'd try just switching to Curve (you can do this just for yourself in your profile, in Look And Layout, if you don't want to change the entire forum) and clicking around to see how the topics behave.  If things seems okay, your custom themes might be involved, although, as you said, optimizing your tables seems to sort it.  It makes me wonder if you shouldn't run the upgrade again, but testing out your forum in Curve and then going to Maintenance==> Logs==> Forum Errors might shed some additional light on it.

DirtRider

Ok lets sit and wait for it to happen again. It does not happen that much, I think today it was around the 4th time. I only upgraded around a month or so back. If it only comes up in a few weeks do you want me to PM you just to prompt you on this one   

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 10:42:04 AM
Ok lets sit and wait for it to happen again. It does not happen that much, I think today it was around the 4th time. I only upgraded around a month or so back. If it only comes up in a few weeks do you want me to PM you just to prompt you on this one

In the meantime, I'm doing a little research on "unread topics" to see if I can find a common thread in RC3.

DirtRider

gbsothere

I tell ya, DirtRider, just reading through some old threads, I'm not finding a situation as similar to yours as I'd like.

It will really help if forum errors are generated and you are able to post them here.  Also....  I never did see the answer to this, but, did your upgrade seem to go smoothly, or were there any sort of errors, particularly errors relating to the database (but any, at all)?

EDIT:  I'm thinking that, since one or more of your database tables seems to keep crashing (you mentioned having to repair them and that this returns things to normal) that you may need to run upgrade.php again.  Since you used the large upgrade package, inside that zip should be the upgrade.php file and several "sql" files.  All of these need to be placed into your forum's root and then you need to point your browser to upgrade.php.

Let's see, though, what you find in your error logs, first.

DirtRider

Not one error when upgrading all went 100% all the way

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 11:17:32 AM
Not one error when upgrading all went 100% all the way

I'd just edited my last reply to you while you were posting this, so you might want to read it again, but coming across any errors in your forum error log will certainly help.  If this only seems to happen in a custom theme, you might also want to switch back to it, just to see if you can throw the error.

DirtRider

Quote from: gbsothere on September 24, 2010, 10:55:33 AM

EDIT:  I'm thinking that, since one or more of your database tables seems to keep crashing (you mentioned having to repair them and that this returns things to normal) that you may need to run upgrade.php again.  Since you used the large upgrade package, inside that zip should be the upgrade.php file and several "sql" files.  All of these need to be placed into your forum's root and then you need to point your browser to upgrade.php.

Let's see, though, what you find in your error logs, first.

Well I don't particularly want to have to run the upgrade again and have to do all the setting up all over again  :P So lets see what the error log tell us.

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 11:20:21 AM

Well I don't particularly want to have to run the upgrade again and have to do all the setting up all over again  :P So lets see what the error log tell us

I've never hoped for errors more in my life.   :D

(If you missed it, maybe going back to your custom theme might help throw them.)

DirtRider

The strange thing is everything works 100% but you just don't see any threads at all lol Just checked now at my error log and nothing so far. I don't know why but I almost get the feeling this happens after a scheduled Forum Maintenance

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 11:25:49 AM
The strange thing is everything works 100% but you just don't see any threads at all lol Just checked now at my error log and nothing so far. I don't know why but I almost get the feeling this happens after a scheduled Forum Maintenance

You mean scheduled within Admin and not some sort of server maintenance...

Hmmmm...

Consider disabling that for a bit and seeing if things run normally.  If so, then you may want to add back a task at a time until you see which one is mucking things up.

I was really hoping for some errors, bummer.   :D

DirtRider

Yes scheduled within Admin. Yeah but if I disable it we may never know if it would have happened or not lol. As I say there is not patten with this it just happens every now and then. So I think maybe lets wait for the next time  :)

gbsothere

Quote from: DirtRider on September 24, 2010, 11:33:23 AM
Yes scheduled within Admin. Yeah but if I disable it we may never know if it would have happened or not lol. As I say there is not patten with this it just happens every now and then. So I think maybe lets wait for the next time  :)

Also, DirtRider, it would be beneficial to learn if things run normally in Curve but don't in a custom theme, so you may want to switch back over in your profile and just live with it a while to see how things go.

Post back, when you spot any re-occurrence.  In the meantime, someone else may weigh in here and, if not, we'll just keep chipping away at it.

;)

DirtRider

DirtRider

Well I had another crash  :P

Table './tt_db247744357/db247744357_messages' is marked as crashed and last (automatic?) repair failed
File: /home/tt/public_html/SSI.php
Line: 469

No indication in my error log why either?

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Are you on a VPS/Dedicated server or a shared server? (It will help getting some extra information regarding the crashes)

At this moment, I would just advice you that you might want to take very frequent backups as a precaution. :)

DirtRider

I have disabled the Optimize Database Scheduled Task in my SMF Admin CP and it has not happened again  :P

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi DirtRider - Can we concider this solved then, or do you still need help with something? :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

DirtRider

Well so far it has not come up again so I will mark it as solved, thanks for all the help on this one

Advertisement: