News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

SMTP auth error

Started by Frank_the_Phoenix, September 25, 2010, 03:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank_the_Phoenix

a good evening everyone,

i have an Problem with my SMF. My problem is:

i want too send newsletters too my forum users but they don't receive them and in my logs i get this message" Foutmelding: 533 5.7.1 AUTH command is not enabled"
i dunno what too do I'm new too this system I'm an student ICT and want too understand how this forum works with emails.

i use SMTP and have everything filled in like my outlook

the forum version i use is smf2.0 rc3

gbsothere

Have you determined whether account activation and/or welcome emails are being received?  Is it only newsletters not being received?

In Admin----> Server Settings  is the email address there one that is associated with your domain or is it something like Gmail, Yahoo, etc?

If it is an address associated with the domain where your forum resides, then in Admin---> Maintenance--> Mail try just leaving the setting at PHP Default (in which case, it is usually not necessary to fill in the settings).

If it is a Gmail address, have a look at this link:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=343385.msg2318702#msg2318702

:)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

Frank_the_Phoenix

i have an SMTP mailtype:
SMTP-server: is a domain name what i also use in my outlook and my outlook works great
SMTP-port: 25
and it need too send the E-mail from my outlook account and that is [email protected]

everything what is mail related wont be sended from my forum couse of this error: 533 5.7.1 AUTH command is not enabled

cheers,
Frank

gbsothere

I understand, Frank, my own is SMTP, as well, but, within the forum, I use the PHP settings in my mail settings (many do), since it is an address associated with my domain and this normally allows mail to be sent as it should from the forum.

Is this error in your server logs, rather than in your forum logs?

Would you mind trying it with PHP selected and no settings filled in, saving your changes, and then testing the newsletter?  (Check your spam folder when checking to see if the newsletter arrived.)

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

Frank_the_Phoenix

i did what you asked me for but it didnt work now i get this error in my forum logs:
: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()Bestand: E:/wamp/www/VDG_forum/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php
Regel: 1005

in that file on rule number 1005 stands:
$result = mail(strtr($email['to'], array("\r" => '', "\n" => '')), $email['subject'], $email['body'], $email['headers']);

i hope you can help me out

live627

Try clearing the SMTP settings in SMF

gbsothere

Frank, try this.   Do use the PHP Default pulldown and only fill in this information and nothing else:

SMTP Port
SMTP Password

Leave out the server information.  I just ran a test on one of my test forums, using the SMTP address associated with my domain with the settings just like this and the newsletter sent perfectly.

Would you mind trying?

EDIT:   Oops, sorry, live627, I didn't realize you'd posted.   :)

Frank_the_Phoenix

i did what you asked me too but i still get the same error:

http://77.61.213.251/VDG_forum/index.php?action=admin;area=mailqueue;sa=clear;e3b5fb498=fb0b286064caf5d07bb69cc79a1b939c2 [nofollow]: mail() [<a href='function.mail'>function.mail</a>]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()Bestand: E:/wamp/www/VDG_forum/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php
Regel: 1005

i used only port 25 as my password

gbsothere

Quote from: Frank_the_Phoenix on September 25, 2010, 04:54:07 PM
i did what you asked me too but i still get the same error:

Did you do what live627 suggested?   No settings and just set the PHP Default pulldown.  Clear the settings.

Quote from: live627 on September 25, 2010, 04:45:51 PM
Try clearing the SMTP settings in SMF

Frank_the_Phoenix

yes i did 3 times even restarted my server i thought it would help but nah it didnt.

in my PHP.ini i found this:

[mail function]
; For Win32 only.
; http://php.net/smtp [nofollow]
SMTP = localhost
; http://php.net/smtp-port [nofollow]
smtp_port = 25

; For Win32 only.
; http://php.net/sendmail-from [nofollow]
sendmail_from = [email protected]

; For Unix only.  You may supply arguments as well (default: "sendmail -t -i").
; http://php.net/sendmail-path [nofollow]
;sendmail_path =

; Force the addition of the specified parameters to be passed as extra parameters
; to the sendmail binary. These parameters will always replace the value of
; the 5th parameter to mail(), even in safe mode.
;mail.force_extra_parameters =

; Add X-PHP-Originating-Script: that will include uid of the script followed by the filename
mail.add_x_header = On

; Log all mail() calls including the full path of the script, line #, to address and headers
;mail.log =

gbsothere

I've posted a link to this thread in the Support area so that others will see your issue and provide solutions.  In the meantime, let's see if it's server-side or forum-side.  Place the attached file in your forum's root but, before you do, edit this part with a text editor:

[email protected]

Make that [email protected] (if that is your forum's email address) and make sure you leave it in the single quotes, just as it is, now. Save your changes and upload it to your forum's root and point your browser to it.  You will see three results.  Would you post those here?

Frank_the_Phoenix

hey,

i dunno if i did it right but i placed it in my forum root and then i tried to impoort it at my databas but i got an error:

Er schijnt een fout te zitten in uw SQL-query. Mocht de MySQL-server een foutmelding hebben terug gegeven, probeer dan of u hiermee uw fout kunt oplossen.

ERROR: Onbekende Punctuatie String @ 1
STR: <?
SQL: <?php
$email = '[email protected]';<?php
$email = '[email protected]';

SQL-query:

<?php $email = '[email protected]';

MySQL retourneerde: 

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '<?php
$email = '[email protected]'' at line 1

Frank_the_Phoenix

and i opened it again and i got this message in the file:

<?php
$email = '[email protected]';

global $context, $scripturl, $modSettings;

error_reporting(E_ALL);

echo 'First Mail Results: ';
// First test.. Direct email sending.
if(mail($email, 'First Test in testing', 'This is a test message does it get emailed?'))
echo 'We sent the email<br />';
else
echo 'We failed to send the email<br />';

// Second test.. Strings..

$subject = 'Second Test';
$msg = 'This is the message. Do we get it?';

echo 'Second Mail Results: ';
if(mail($email, $subject, $msg))
else

// Third and final test.. Include strings to send.
require_once('Settings.php');
require_once($boarddir . '/Themes/default/languages/index.english.php');

echo 'Third Results: ';
if(mail($email, $txt['error_occured'], ($txt['msg_alert_you_have'] . ' ' . $txt['msg_alert_none'])))
else

echo ' Now Check your inbox, spam or whereever for your mail';

?>

gbsothere

Oh, my no, Frank.  You were only meant to place the file in your forum's root.  In other words, the folder that your SMF files are in.  Then, using your browser, you were to "point" to it.  For instance, if your forum is located at "mywebsite.com/forum" then you would put this in your browser:  "mywebsite.com/forum/mailtest.php".  That's all.  Please don't try to import anything into your database.

:-\

What is the link to your forum?  Just put the file in your forum's folder on your server and put the link to your forum in your browser and add /mailtest.php at the end of the link.

Frank_the_Phoenix

i did what you said and this what i saw:

First Mail Results:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\wamp\www\VDG_forum\mailtest.php on line 11
We failed to send the email
Second Mail Results:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\wamp\www\VDG_forum\mailtest.php on line 22
Third Results:
Warning: mail() [function.mail]: Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set() in E:\wamp\www\VDG_forum\mailtest.php on line 32
Now Check your inbox, spam or whereever for your mail

gbsothere

Okay.  It's not being sent.  You can delete that mailtest.php file from your server, if you wish.

Frank, you need to contact your server and verify, just as the file suggests.  The way mail is set up in Outlook is not necessarily the way mail is set up in the forum.  It may be that your php.ini file needs to be changed.

As I said, I've posted a link to this thread in the support area so it may be that someone else will read this and have an alternate solution, but, in the meantime, I would contact my server and ask about the php.ini file and also about the proper settings for your forum.

Frank_the_Phoenix

ok thanks ill see it tomorow il just change my index so the forum is online
if you want to know my forum can be found here
www.flybyfrank.com/vdg.nl [nofollow]

gbsothere

Quote from: Frank_the_Phoenix on September 25, 2010, 05:34:41 PM
ok thanks ill see it tomorow il just change my index so the forum is online
if you want to know my forum can be found here
www.flybyfrank.com/vdg.nl

Let us know what you find out, Frank, and, if the server can't help, we'll keep chipping away at it.   :)

Frank_the_Phoenix

well to be completly honest the server is mine and store in a closet so i can acces it directly but i dunno where to search in my database voor extra options in SMF it is not hard too find settings.
and my mail comes from another server

gbsothere

Quote from: Frank_the_Phoenix on September 25, 2010, 05:42:08 PM
well to be completly honest the server is mine and store in a closet so i can acces it directly but i dunno where to search in my database voor extra options in SMF it is not hard too find settings.
and my mail comes from another server

Ah...  then we're going to require brighter minds than mine!   :D

If you can't sort it tomorrow, then post back, Frank, and perhaps someone will have read through this thread by then and might have some answers. 

You might want to back up that forum database, before you go much further.   ;)

xenovanis

Try using your ip address instead of localhost for the SMTP field in php.ini.

In addition, for configuring your sendmail in a Windows environment, check here:
http://i.justrealized.com/2008/how-to-use-sendmail-in-xampp/
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

live627

Can you make a phpinfo() file and post a link to it?

What is a phpinfo() file?

Frank_the_Phoenix

this is what i saw when i opened in a browers with phpinfo.php
http://77.61.213.251/phpinfo.php [nofollow]

live627

So my suspicion was right. You are on Windows. PHP has difficulty sending mail from that platform. Unfortunately, I don't know of any tricks offhand.

Frank_the_Phoenix

aah toobad maybe someone else, becouse i find it hard to believe that it is impossible like my class mate always says

live627

It's possible with a hack, but I must be in bed right now so can't do a quick Google now.

CapadY

Before you spend days and days with this, inform with your provider if it is possible to use scripts to send mail.
There are several providers (in my country, and I think it's your country too) that will accept only mail send with an direct connection to their servers. At least KPN will.

I've spend hours and hours too to send mail via SMTP but it doesn't work.

Luck,
Please, don't PM me for support unless invited.
If you don't understand this, you will be blacklisted.

Frank_the_Phoenix

i dunno for sure i need too ask my dad about it but i thought he has an exchange server but i dunno for sure

live627

That text color is too hard to read.

Tyrsson

PM at your own risk, some I answer, if they are interesting, some I ignore.

Frank_the_Phoenix

hello everyone,

i am going too install IIS and remove Wamp i think that ill get more knowledge this way connecting couse wamp has its limitations it is a great online server dont get me wrong but i had multiple problems with wamp so thanks for the info and ill let you all know when i got it working.

greets,
Frank the Phoenix

Oya

after installing iis you'll still have to install php and mysql to be able to use smf

Frank_the_Phoenix

yes i know butt the limitations of wamp and xamp are gone and i have now only the issues of windows and not of those tird party programs

Tyrsson

Unless you install a full version of IIS you will only be allowed ten (10) concurrent connections at a time ;).

As an example. You have XP Pro running on a box. It comes with a dev instance of IIS. You can install and run it. But it is not suitable for a public server as it will only allow ten connections at the same time. Just thought I would give ya a heads up.

Tyrsson

Also here is a heads up

You can install IIS and then go and snag the Zend server CE from Zend.com. Run the install and select to build under IIS as long as you already have IIS installed. It will then build under IIS. ;)

Frank_the_Phoenix

i have installed the complete IIS from the original windows xp disc so that wont be a problem

Tyrsson

Quote from: Frank_the_Phoenix on September 28, 2010, 11:06:43 AM
i have installed the complete IIS from the original windows xp disc so that wont be a problem
Unless you buy a full copy of the server edition it will be a problem. I have installed and run a local IIS 6.0 for development before, and I had the same problem which is why I mentioned it. I guess it depends on which disc you have. I had the Pro edition which allowed me to install it from the disc, but it was still limited. You may want to read up on it at the MS web site to make sure your version is not limited.

Frank_the_Phoenix

thanks for the tip ill look it up when i got the time for it

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Any updates over this? Is this resolved?

Frank_the_Phoenix

yes i have found the problem with Wamp. IIS is at the moment too high for my understanding so i tried to re-Install wamp too the newest version and right before the installation begint he asks for a SMTP mail address and standart there stands nothing becouse you dont need to configure that right away. So i typed my smtp addres in de box and now the forum can connect with my mail server.

so thank you all for the suggestions

greets,
Frank_the_Phoenix

Advertisement: