News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

GoDaddy updating?

Started by MagitekElite, September 25, 2010, 04:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagitekElite

Hello and thank you for reading my thread!  ;D

I seem to have a problem updating Simple Machines using Godaddy. I was reading this page about updating because I saw a thread where it said its the same thing for updating using Godaddy.

But, I've come into a few problems. When ever I try to rewrite the old folders like it said, my FTP gets an error that says it was unable or not allowed, to upload the folders to the forum.

I was wondering if anyone could help me out. If there is more information needed to understand the problem, I will include it. I'm not sure if there is anything else I should include....

Well, thank you very much for reading!  :)

By Colours

xenovanis

What are the permissions for the folders and files on your server? Looks like you don't "own" them. Are you able to change the permissions from your hosts filemanager (assuming GoDaddy has one)?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MagitekElite

Thank you for replying!  :)

I don't know where to check to see if I am able set permissions :(

By Colours

xenovanis

You have ftp access, right? If you connect to the webserver, you'll get an overview of all files and folders there. Next to the filenames should be a column named attributes, with numbers in it. What are those numbers for the folders and files?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

MagitekElite

:<

I don't see it. My mother has bought the 6.99 package, she says it might not allow those features...I'll see if I can find it.

By Colours

xenovanis

What ftp program are you using?

MagitekElite

Its within GoDaddy. Its just called "FTP Client"

By Colours

xenovanis

I see. You might want to try using an external ftp client to connect to your website. For as far as I can see, you should be able to with any of their packages.

You can use an ftp client like Total Commander. The login details are probably in a confirmationemail you received from GoDaddy.

Also see:
How do I use FTP? / What is FTP?
How do I chmod? / what is chmod?

MagitekElite

Ah! About the permissions thing, but mother showered me "Filezilla" and it worked like a charm! Of course, I still had to find the permissions thing! It was where you said it was for Filezilla! Thanks for that!

Its updating the forum now! Although I ran into an error.....what does this mean?

-----------

Notice: Undefined index: ucwords in /home/content/k/y/s/kystormz/html/thepromisedland/Sources/Load.php on line 2002

Fatal error: Function name must be a string in /home/content/k/y/s/kystormz/html/thepromisedland/Sources/Load.php on line 2002

By Colours

xenovanis

You have a great mom :)

From what version to what version are you upgrading?
Did you use the large upgradepackage or the small updatepackage?
Were you using a custom theme?

In addition, a bug in Filezilla could corrupt your files during upload. Make sure the transfer type is set to binary and uncheck the option to "Treat files without extensions as ASCII files" See here for more info:
"http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=374178.0

MagitekElite

Thank you  ;D She helps a lot, she actually showed me this software lol

I'm updating from 1.1.11 to SMF 2.0 RC3. I used this package, the large package. Oh, and it was set to "binary". I was using I think, two custom themes.

By Colours

xenovanis

You did run the upgrade?

Did this error occur when using a custom theme? Custom themes for 1.1.x are not compatible with 2.0.x.
Where does the error show (on what part of the forum)?

gbsothere

*watching and learning*

(And wondering if this means anything?)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

xenovanis

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Or at least, some of the files weren't properly overwritten. Total Commander gives a warning though, when permissions won't allow files to be overwritten. I'm not sure about Filezilla.

MagitekElite

I followed this:
QuoteOpen up your favorite web browser and browse to http://www.yourdomain.tld/forum/upgrade.php (where Forum  is the location of your forum). Provided you set the permissions correctly on Settings.php and Setting_bak.php and uploaded all the files, you should see a form with the following tick boxes:

I did what I was supposed to do for "http://www.yourdomain.tld/forum/upgrade.php" and it got pass its first half, and then at the end of the second, I got the errors. I'm not sure if its because of the themes....I hope I didn't mess up my mothers' FTP >.>

Quote*watching and learning*

(And wondering if this means anything?)
Well, it allowed me to upload and overwrite everything. What do I do now? Should I retry it or did I screw it up?

By Colours

xenovanis

Try uploading the files again. It doesn't matter.

Some or more files weren't overwritten properly. Did you also uncheck the "Treat files without .." thing?

After uploading, run the upgrader again.

MagitekElite

So I should try the uploading again. Okay, got it! I'll do it now.
I have "Binary" checked and "ASCII" unchecked.....

By Colours

xenovanis

Fingers crossed  ;)

I'm off to bed now, I'm sure gbsothere will take over from here.

gbsothere

Quote from: xenovanis on September 25, 2010, 08:44:00 PM
Fingers crossed  ;)

Oh, gee.......   thanks........   

:D
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

xenovanis

Quote from: gbsothere on September 25, 2010, 08:47:26 PM

I know, I know, you want me to stay up all night.  :P

Advertisement: