News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Green Flowers

Started by Tamuril, September 27, 2010, 06:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamuril

Link to the theme

Feminine, natural, light green and beige (brown) theme. Created with health and wellness, arts and children/educational content in mind.

- Tableless layout
- W3C Valid CSS and XHTML 1.0 Transitional
- Compatible with the latest versions of Opera, IE, FF, Chrome, and Safari
- Fits resolutions 1024x768 and greater

I offer PSD files and credit removal for a fee. Please visit the corresponding theme page on my website for more information:
http://www.tamurilart.com/smf-themes/green-flowers.htm

Enjoy!

Oya

nice theme thanks for sharing

Deaks

Tamuril you know what im gonna say as ive said it to you many times, but this is an amazing theme, im glad the cus team finally got there fingers out and approved it, seriously is stunning well done :D
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Antechinus

Nice job, as always. :)

The one thing I'm not so sure of is the use of image buttons for the menu. That is going to make this theme a bit of a nuisance for many people as any changes to the menu wont be styled automatically as in most themes. I'd be inclined to use text with CSS3 text shadow to get the same effect in any modern browser and just let IE users deal with a slightly less stylish menu. The benefits in ease of modification and cache times would be worth it IMO.   

ETA: Oh and I do hope you will get around to doing 2.0 versions of your older themes at some point. They were rather good.

Crip

I have become comfortably numb!

I remember my mother's prayers and they have always followed me.
   - Abraham Lincoln -

TOTM Winner. | Demo Site1on1 Theme Support

bloc

I really like this theme. It has a warm feeling to it and the color-scheme is very comfortable for the eye.

Great job! :)

LisaNY

This is a beautiful theme!   My favorite of the 2.0 themes so far.

I have one question about private messages.  On this particular theme, I am unable to see if I have a new private message.
I know that it gives you a pop-up alert, but what about in the top right of the forum, where it tells you that you have a new pm?

Thanks!

Antechinus

This theme doesn't include that feature. You'll have to rely on the pop-up unless you alter the menu css. 

LisaNY

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2010, 05:58:08 AM
This theme doesn't include that feature. You'll have to rely on the pop-up unless you alter the menu css. 

Thank you.  Would you know how I would do that?  What would I enter in the menu css?

Antechinus

Would have to take a look at it. Short story is that Tamuril has hidden the standard menu text, which includes the usual PM notification (the [1] after My Messages). The code is still there but it doesn't display anything. Getting it to display without  making things look borked is likely to require a bit of messing around.

ETA: Or may be able to do it another way. Don't have time right now though. Can look at it tomorrow.

LisaNY

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2010, 07:16:44 AM
Would have to take a look at it. Short story is that Tamuril has hidden the standard menu text, which includes the usual PM notification (the [1] after My Messages). The code is still there but it doesn't display anything. Getting it to display without  making things look borked is likely to require a bit of messing around.

Thank you.  Just curious, is there a specific reason why a designer would choose not to have that info displayed?

Oya

the theme uses images for the buttons, not text, and without providing a button for every possible number it could get tricky...

Matthew K.

Very nice theme :) Good job!

Antechinus

Quote from: LisaNY on October 05, 2010, 07:24:08 AMThank you.  Just curious, is there a specific reason why a designer would choose not to have that info displayed?
I would say she wanted to get that particular look on the menu text and thought an image was the only way to do it.

Quote from: Antechinus on September 28, 2010, 05:18:00 AMThe one thing I'm not so sure of is the use of image buttons for the menu. That is going to make this theme a bit of a nuisance for many people as any changes to the menu wont be styled automatically as in most themes. I'd be inclined to use text with CSS3 text shadow to get the same effect in any modern browser and just let IE users deal with a slightly less stylish menu. The benefits in ease of modification and cache times would be worth it IMO.

Quote from: Oya on October 05, 2010, 04:46:41 PMthe theme uses images for the buttons, not text, and without providing a button for every possible number it could get tricky...
I'd be inclined to do it as above, or alternatively write some custom code for hauling up the number of new messages in the header. Either would work and both are fairly easy. The advantage of changing the menu of course is that it deals with several problems at once (at the cost of not looking quite so good in IE).

Oya

except most users dont have that exact font too

Antechinus

Which IMO is not as much of a nuisance as the current drawbacks. Anyway, it's an option if anyone wants to use it.

LisaNY

Antechinus

Ok Lisa, try this. This is the "simple" version that doesn't require changing the whole menu. It adds a PM notification text in the header, underneath the unread links.

Index.template.php

Find (on Line 187 of an unedited template):
                    <li><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unreadreplies">', $txt['show_unread_replies'], '</a></li>';

Replace:
                    <li><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=unreadreplies">', $txt['show_unread_replies'], '</a></li>
                    <li>', $context['user']['messages'], '&nbsp;', $context['user']['messages'] != 1 ? $txt['msg_alert_messages'] : $txt['message_lowercase'], '', $txt['newmessages4'], '
                        ', $context['user']['unread_messages'] !=0 ? '<a href="'. $scripturl. '?action=pm"><b>':'';

echo '
                        ', $context['user']['unread_messages'], '&nbsp;', $context['user']['unread_messages'] == 1 ? $txt['newmessages0'] : $txt['newmessages1'] , '.                   
                        ', $context['user']['unread_messages'] !=0 ? '</b></a>':'';                   

echo '   
                    </li>';

Someone will probably tell me my php could be cleaner but hey, it works.

There are also a couple of minor bugs elsewhere. These aren't Tamuril's fault. They're small things we have fixed in the latest dev builds. I'd suggest doing them but you don't have to if you don't want to.

Index.template php again. Find:
                    foreach ($childbutton['sub_buttons'] as $grandchildbutton)
                        echo '
                                <li>
                                    <a', $grandchildbutton['active_button'] ? ' class="active"' : '', ' href="', $grandchildbutton['href'], '"', isset($grandchildbutton['target']) ? ' target="' . $grandchildbutton['target'] . '"' : '', '>

Replace:
                    foreach ($childbutton['sub_buttons'] as $grandchildbutton)
                        echo '
                                <li>
                                    <a', $grandchildbutton['href'] ? ' class="active"' : '', ' href="', $grandchildbutton['href'], '"', isset($grandchildbutton['target']) ? ' target="' . $grandchildbutton['target'] . '"' : '', '>

That will stop an undefined index error filling your error log.

Index.css
Find:
#adm_submenus
{
    padding-left: 2em;
}

Replace:
#adm_submenus, #adm_submenus ul
{
    padding-left: 1em;
}

That will stop the left side of the first button from being chopped off in the admin menus (like where it says Error Log Ban Log Task Log Log Pruning on action=admin;area=logs;sa=errorlog).

nikki73

Really really love this theme. Downloaded it yesterday and its fab, only one problem though and its probably me lol. The calendar button is basically joined with the members button and its in small black writing whereas the other buttons are nice and white  :-\

Antechinus

No it isn't you. Since the menu is done with image buttons and only has a certain number of buttons and the css for them included, any extra buttons added by features and/or mods will display just like your calendar button. The only way around it is to write more css and make more buttons in Photoshop.

Other alternative is what I suggested earlier: recode the menu to use standard text strings like most themes. That way the menu content would be automatically dealt with.

Advertisement: