News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

/REVERENDBLACK after my . com address

Started by REVERENDBLACK, September 30, 2010, 06:40:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

REVERENDBLACK

this is what is after my web address /REVERENDBLACK how do i get rid of it so all you have to do is type the address in.  what i get is,

Index of /

* REVERENDBLACK/
    * reverend/

Apache mod_fcgid/2.3.5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at hxxp:brotherhoodofangels.com [nonactive] Port 80
the site dont come up unless i type in after the address /REVERENDBLACK help!!!!

well this is just great  i thought i could do something in the cpanel so i installed some front page extensions and guess what i cant log into my account now. i tried to reset my password and that don't work it keeps timing me out man this really stinks. is there anyone that can help me get back into my website ill deal with the reverendblack after the . com i just don't want to loose all the work Ive put into this thing again.

MrPhil

So your forum is installed into the directory /REVERENDBLACK? In the long run, the best choice would be to transparently "redirect" visitors so when they come into http://brotherhoodofangels.com/, they will think they are there, but are really in /REVERENDBLACK directory. In your /.htaccess file, add
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond  %{REQUEST_URI}  !^/REVERENDBLACK  [NC]
RewriteRule  ^(.*)$  /REVERENDBLACK/$1

I think should do the trick. Change your Settings.php file to give the forum URL as just /, not /REVERENDBLACK, and visitors should never see REVERENDBLACK. Note that I am not giving a full URL or a 30x code, as that would encourage search engines to index /REVERENDBLACK, not /. Keep /REVERENDBLACK in the filesystem path; just take it out of the URL, as the URL will be redirected.

In the future, you will be positioned to add more applications to your site (store, gallery, blog, etc.) and add a "landing page" in the root with a link to applications, including the forum. You would of course remove the above URL rewrite at that time. The only downside is a temporary hit to your search engine results, as your site has to be reindexed with the new structure. An alternative would be to not add the URL rewrite, but to put a dummy index.html in the root that offers a link to your forum, and encourages visitors to bookmark the /REVERENDBLACK URL (link) as their entry point. That way, there should be no change in what search engines index. Your choice.

FrontPage extensions? Yecch! Run away! Run away! I have no idea why that would keep you out of your forum, unless it was a botched installation (which your host will have to help you with). It shouldn't affect SMF. FP is obsolete (replaced by Expression Web) and so buggy and badly implemented that you really don't want to use it for creating pages.

P.S. Don't forget to turn "indexing" off in your hosting control panel. You don't want visitors snooping around any directory that lacks an "index" file.

Advertisement: