News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Blank Screen When Editing Profile

Started by Wiwar, September 30, 2010, 08:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiwar

Hi,

I have scoured through what feels like millions of pages of the help and support on here but to no avail, I'm at my whits end with my issue. We recently (about 2 months ago), upgraded from SMF 1.1.11 to SMF 2.0 RC3 using the updater. In the mean time, I had installed a clean install on another server and tested out some mods that I was going to add to the updated site. The site was then updated by another administrator (whilst I was away) and it seemed to go smoothly, however upon closer inspection, user profiles seemed to become corrupt i.e. when trying to access them we'd get a white blank screen. After uninstalling profile related mods such as ultimate profile, it began working again, so we put it down to the mods not working with our site.

Being as anal as I am, I wasn't content with this as I like the UP mod and wanted it to work. Upon inspecting the files it edits upon installation, I noticed that the lines were duplicated across many of the site's files. I have since gone through a lot of the mods and manually checked if it has been installed twice. It happened to one or two mods but mostly they were fine. Having spoken to the other administrator who completed the upgrade, he did say he'd copied some of the files from the test site onto the live site, and then installed the mods that were on the test site on the upgraded site resulting in the duplicate code (I guess?).

To my annoyance now, I have been through all 18 mods we have installed and focused mainly on the profile-altering ones to see if I can find a solution to my problem, although nothing has come up and the problem persists. I as an administrator cannot edit SOME members profiles, and neither can they. This is causing quite an annoyance to our members and to me also.

So, to sum up: Some member profiles can be edited, and some cannot. The ones that cannot, can't be edited by the member itself, or by the site's administrator.

If someone can shed some light on where I can find a fix for this problem, I would be extremely grateful. I will add below some extra info to hopefully assist with a solution.

* Which version of SMF you're using
SMF 2.0 RC3

* A link to your forum
www.welshhardmen.com [nofollow]

* Any errors from your error log that may be related (please remove paths and IP addresses - only the filename, line number and error message are needed)
Nothing appears in the error log related to this problem, although I can provide any if needed

* A detailed description of the problem
As detailed above.

I thank in advance anyone who can shed some light on my issue.

xenovanis

What part of the profile area are you trying to access? Is it the look and layout, forum profile?

Any change these members who's profile can't be edited have something in common, like similar profile fields, membergroups, .. anything?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Wiwar

Sorry, should have given that info, I did plan on it!  O:)

Its when editing Forum Profile, all the other profile options are fine, its just this option. No one can select an avatar, either re-loaded, HTML or Uploaded; same goes with all other fields in this part.

I use custom profile fields mod, but I've checked that mod and the files and everything seems A OK...

Thanks

xenovanis

So, do you happen to know if they have anything similar added to these fields? For instance, are these users that have a custom title, or have external links in their signature..  Use an external avatar perhaps, or use the same internal avatar.

It's kind of wildguessing, especially since it's not related to all your members. Let's hope we'll get somewhere  ;)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Wiwar

It is kinda like stabbing in the dark ain't it...

I can't see a correlation between the members who can and the members who can't edit their profile. For instance, its a gaming website for Welsh folk, members can enter their Xbox Live Gamertag and/or PlayStation Network ID, members who have issues cannot fill in this field. They don't have a custom title, they come from a variety of membergroups & post milestone groups. Most members use an image as a signature, but to be fair, they can try and input 1 character or even just press the space bar once, and they get a blank screen!

As for avatars, they can try and select the same avatar as one a "normal" (I'll call the ones with no issues normal!) member and will still get a blank screen.

I'm even resorting now to trying to find a correlation between the member id's, funnily enough though, I'm drawing a blank now myself!

Thanks for your interest in my painful problem! :)

xenovanis

I'm really sorry, but for an inconsistent problem like this it's very hard to find a cause.

Are there any errors in the server errorlogs about this?

Wiwar

Quote from: xenovanis on October 02, 2010, 05:09:46 AM
I'm really sorry, but for an inconsistent problem like this it's very hard to find a cause.

Are there any errors in the server errorlogs about this?

None that I think are appropriate. What I'll do is get a few members to try and edit their profile and see if it logs an error, which I'll post back on here.

Thanks for persevering anyway :)

xenovanis

Wish I could be of more help. With this problem, without proper error messages, it's hard to determine. :(

Overwriting your files with fresh ones from the large upgradepackage would most likely solve this, but it will uninstall your mods so you have to reinstall them.

Wiwar

In all fairness, that's something I don't fancy doing, I'm determined to get to the bottom of it (somehow!). No error messages have come up either from trying to edit profiles, although there are loads of error's coming up for other things, I'm going to sort them first, then maybe they'll fix this profile issue.... I'll keep you posted, and thanks again for your interest :)

xenovanis

Good luck. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Hope you get this sorted, please let us know if you do  :)

Advertisement: