News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Moving to SMF soon

Started by Sir Kaos, October 06, 2010, 05:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Kaos

Hello everyone.

I was introduced to SMF by a friend who already uses it.

Im completely clueless when it comes to managing forum back ends etc so my friend will be doing it for us.

My only little question and concern is:

We are currently on V bulletin 3.6.11.

Is converting to SMF possible with no data lose at all?

Thank you for answering my simple question

Learn to Listen, Listen To Learn

xenovanis

Hello Sir Kaos, and welcome to SMF :)

You should be able to convert to SMF without any loss of data. Note though, that the converter will only convert the default tables from the database, and not any tables or fields added by modifications.

See here for more information on converting your forum:
Converting to SMF

Also, take the time to read the stickies in the board.

Make a backup before you start, just to be safe. The data is copied over to the SMF database, so you could make a testrun before, play around a bit before you do the final conversion.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Sir Kaos

thank you im already falling in love with SMF

xenovanis

That's great. You're welcome :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

Sir Kaos

Quote from: Red Devil on October 24, 2010, 04:50:09 PM
Quote from: Sir Kaos on October 13, 2010, 08:54:27 AM
thank you im already falling in love with SMF

Well that's because the first person you saw was Xeno :)

lol Maybe... But Im surely delighted by the support Im receiving by gbsothere who is incredibly helpful and sweet guy.

I would have never been able to correct the errors I had without his help.

When this is all finally over, I'd like to donate a small sum to SMF as a token of appreciation. where can this be done?

Acans

"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Advertisement: