News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Converting a Guest post to existent User post.

Started by _aLfa_, October 04, 2010, 05:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

_aLfa_

Is there any way to convert a post by a Guest into a post by a current forum member?
(let's say a user forgot to login and ended up posting as a guest)

I don't want to remove the post and make the user post it again unless I really have to.
Also, I don't mind messing around with database if all I have to do is changing one or two field values. (if that's the case, I can simply code a small module)

IceXaos

Just have him make a post, you can modify the original, copy & paste to the new.  Then ya just simply delete the original.  I'm pretty sure there's a MOD somewhere to transfer the owner of a post, but this would work just as well.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: _aLfa_ on October 04, 2010, 05:55:47 AM
Is there any way to convert a post by a Guest into a post by a current forum member?
(let's say a user forgot to login and ended up posting as a guest)

I don't want to remove the post and make the user post it again unless I really have to.
Also, I don't mind messing around with database if all I have to do is changing one or two field values. (if that's the case, I can simply code a small module)
You can use the 2.0 built in function to reattribute posts, in /index.php?action=admin;area=maintain;sa=members;
( Do note that it will reattribute EVERY post that was posted using the details you fill in. )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

_aLfa_

Well, the thing is, there are hundreds of posts like this because the forums were converted from an old database and some users were deleted in the old database.

I don't want the users to repost everything, so I planned to do this by hand whenever I have free time so they can restore the post count and all the other features related to each user posts.

_aLfa_

Thank you LexArma! I didn't know about that feature, that will help me alot.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No problem :)

It wouldn't be too hard to run a simple a query to do it straight from the database either, but this way is a bit easier still ;)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

_aLfa_

I guess not, but I wouldn't know the fields I'd have to change without looking at db structure and/or the forum code and I didn't want to fiddle with that just yet without knowing if there would be a simpler solution. (:

Kindred

the only way that I know to do this is to do a direct database command....

UPDATE smf_messages SET id_member="###" WHERE poster_name="***1***" AND id_member="0";
UPDATE smf_messages SET poster_name="***2***" WHERE id_member="###";
UPDATE smf_messages SET poster_email="***mail***" WHERE id_member="###";

(replace the ### with the new user's ID,  ***1*** with the old user's username, ***2*** with the new user's username, ***mail*** with the new user's email address.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

There is a tool built in to 2.0 to do this ;) I've used it. And you can find it too, exactly where I said it would be.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Ozzie

If your using rc3 try this i been using it since it was relaesed and it is just great   (alternate user posting)

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2626

2000+ games available to download

Kindred

Ozzie,

that is completely irrelevant to the question of the OP. He does nto care about posts being made NOW, he cares about attributing a ton of OLD posts to the "new" user.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ozzie

he asked "Is there any way to convert a post by a Guest into a post by a current forum member?" which that mod will do so i thought it was relevent as it does just that changes the post author regardless of the post age

my bad sorry i did not read his later post

2000+ games available to download

_aLfa_

Both options will be useful because there are a few "Guest" (no actual username) posts that I'll also be changing if the real author is known.

Thank you all for answers, much appreciated!

Advertisement: