News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Collapsible Replies

Started by Xarcell, June 19, 2005, 08:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xarcell

I was helping a guy with ideas for his CMS renegade forums months ago. He has discontinued is wok on the renegade-cms so I'll pass my ideas on to you guys.

What we need is expandiable/collapsiable replies. All viewed replies should automactically be collapsed, only the topic starter and unread replies should be open.

Here is a screenshot of what we need.

-Xarcell

dtm.exe

Just curious, why would you want to collapse replies in a topic?  Seems pointless; in a topic, at least.

-Dan The Man

Xarcell

So you don't have to scroll past the replies you've already read. However, it would suck to have a page reload  on expanding/collapsing replies.

dtm.exe

Quote from: Xarcell on June 19, 2005, 09:54:12 PM
So you don't have to scroll past the replies you've already read. However, it would suck to have a page reload  on expanding/collapsing replies.

Hmm, you have a point.

This is my 1,337th post...yeah, I'm leet.

-Dan The Man

[Unknown]

Quote from: Xarcell on June 19, 2005, 09:54:12 PM

Click the new button.  Your browser will do the scrolling for you.

-[Unknown]

Xarcell

Ya, but that just doesn't quite hit the spot.

Anguz

If it doesn't land on the right spot, probably due to images that finish loading later and move the layout, you can hit the "go" button again (or focus on the location bar and press "enter") and it'll go to the anchor without reloading.

Anyway, what you suggest could be interesting, similar to the conversations in Gmail. It could save maybe save bandwidth and loading time, or even generation time, but it requires a bit of modding. You could do it with themes alone, though, but only for the look of it, cause the server will still do and serve the same.
Cristián Lávaque http://cristianlavaque.com

Xarcell

They use this over at the GemStone IV forums. It's a very sweet feature useful in more way sthan I can explain. It just seems to make everything more user friendly...

dtm.exe

All this mod will do is add more confusion to the overall layout of a Simple Machines Forum.

-Dan The Man

Sheepy

Quote from: OIDanTheManIO on June 29, 2005, 12:22:37 PM
All this mod will do is add more confusion to the overall layout of a Simple Machines Forum.
Well, you see, that's why this is in the mod section instead of in the feature request section.  The users and admins decide whether a mod is suitable or not, not the name of the forum software.

Advertisement: