News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Quick Translation

Started by Bugo, October 17, 2010, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bugo

I see things differently. This mod is provided AS IS. It's free.
If you don't like something, don't use it, don't install it, don't ask author to change something specially for you.
Use another solutions.

OCJ

There is nothing in the description, nothing on the first page for the mod discussion. The only way to find out is to dig through the zip file and take a guess based on the english and russian QT files.

And look through your 7 pages and see how many people do not 'see things your way'. I wasted an evening (trying to help Japanese people translate some English) because you are too arrogant to give simple , useful mod descriptions, or to give helpful replies.

Quotedon't ask author to change something specially for you.

I did not ask you to change it - just to give proper mod descriptions.

OCJ

I noticed you updated the mod page... a little. Thanks for taking the trouble.

I would suggest you list the languages it 'translates to', so there is no ambiguity. You know. if people are informed it will make your life 10 times easier!

A fan of your mods... though to talk to, you are more like a grisly bear than a panda.

Andy

Rain Forest

Gryzor

What a great mod, and an elegant solution too!

Installed fine on my 2.0.4 forum, though it only works when I choose "under". [EDIT] New hooks fixed that.

A very small request: I'd prefer it if the "Translate" link was separated from the text and was more subtle... but thanks so much, it's really useful!

Gryzor

Can I ask something? What are the exact conditions this mod works on? I assume it checks the browser language, and then if a post is detected to be in some other language it will translate it to the browser language.

For instance, if my browser is set to English and a post is in German  then that post will be translated into English.

It works for me with Opera/Chrome (but offers to translate English posts too!), but not FF. However my users are reporting mixed results, with some saying that changing the actual forum language in preferences do the trick, but not quite.

Any help?

0.8, with new hooks installed.

Bugo

Ask Google about it :)
This mod uses Google Translator Toolkit API.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bugo on March 13, 2013, 12:41:54 PM
Ask Google about it :)
This mod uses Google Translator Toolkit API.

This was a reply to my post? Because I think my questions pertain to the mod, not the API? Could be wrong though...

sangham.net

First of all, thanks a lot for this great mod!

Today I saw a new appearance on the button of the website, which seems to be caused "by" the mod, or better by google coming trough the modification.

Original text
Contribute a better translation

I also have attached a screen shot. Some how it does not really make happy if Google has so much "power" and makes unrequested advertising. How can this happen? Is there a way to solve or is it time to let go of "free"-stuff like google involved things?

Is it a mod thing that the forum is now open to such or is it a general reality for SMF?

Arantor

That is a general feature offered by Google's translate engine.

sangham.net

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 12:43:36 AM
That is a general feature offered by Google's translate engine.
Thanks for your answer Arantor,

So somebody who has not installed this google mod will have it as well? Or what do you mean by feature?
Or let me ask differently:

If I de-install this mod here, will I still have it on board?

Is it possible to get ride of it without de-installation of the mod?

Or is it even caused by any other stuff or SMF features?

Arantor

No, no, and no.

This mod integrates Google Translate into your site. Suggesting a better translation sends it to Google. Google provides the translations.

sangham.net

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 01:10:56 AM
No, no, and no.
No what? Arantor. Please correct me if I am wrong.

If I de-install this mod here, will I still have it on board? --> NO. So then it will be gone: Its caused by the mod.

Is it possible to get ride of it without de-installation of the mod? --> NO, it will stay in the footer as long as the mod is installed

Or is it even caused by any other stuff or SMF features? --> This NO means that it is definitely, exclusively caused by the mod.

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 01:10:56 AMThis mod integrates Google Translate into your site. Suggesting a better translation sends it to Google. Google provides the translations.

I know, and there is no problem with it. Its about the google add in the footer of the SMF board that appeared since today.

I really wonder about such ways. *plopp* and you you have this and that secretly adopted.  :)

Thanks a lot!

(Off- topic: maybe a general "Warning: this mod causes you to lose your interdependency original SMF provides you through third part implications. Prove the impacts and TOS carefully." would be good placed to avoid such surprises)

Arantor

Google is an ad company. Everything they do is around serving ads one way or another.

xpubstargamingx

I installed the Quick translation and New Hooks, but I am not seeing anything on my website showing a Translate option.

Am I just not seeing it?

Link for reference: http://pubstargaming.com/forum/sports-colosseum/ncaaf-if-bcs-standings-came-out-today/

sangham.net

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 09:14:17 AM
Google is an ad company. Everything they do is around serving ads one way or another.

Yes I know, Arantor. So it means that my counts are right and one has no chance to avoid unloved adds within this mod if no deal is planed? Just to stay not to much on assuming.

Arantor

Why would you? You're getting a service in exchange for an advert.

sangham.net

Quote from: Arantor on October 11, 2013, 12:32:48 PM
Why would you? You're getting a service in exchange for an advert.

So that means: Take the mode = Take the add-deal. No question of why actually. That is a secret question, very secret affair  8) not good to talk about as everybody uses it secretly, intimate unknown or even not . :-) Thanks for you patient, Arantor.

oroedel

this mod works with 2.0.9?

sangham.net

Quote from: oroedel on January 02, 2015, 06:47:40 PM
this mod works with 2.0.9?

Johann is running it on 2.0.9 and works fine, so its maybe just a installation thing. Anywhere you might change just "2.0.5" to 2.0.9 and then install.

Advertisement: