Moving to 2.0 from 1.1.11

Started by flutter, October 18, 2010, 02:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flutter

I've contacted my host.  I'm doing a clean istall again of the whole forum, I've deleted the database and added a new one with the same name as before.  After it's uploaded I've to reply to my ticket and they will have a look at it and see if they can work it out for me.  Host Gator are good hosts, if they can't get it to work, I don't think anyone can.  Maybe I'll have to look into a whole new forum software but I did want to use tiny portal.  If I can't get it to work, then I'll have to look around for something else that can import smf data.

I really appreciate the help Kindred, thanks

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi flutter, did you manage to sort this out with your host?
I'm sorry to say, but I don't share your feelings on Hostgator, so if they aren't able to make it work,
it doesn't really mean it can't be done.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

flutter

Nope.  I did the whole upgrade thing on one site and left the main site up.  When I tried to trabsfer it all over they were reading with each other.  Right now I have no site at all.  I'm reuploading to my .com one, all the old stuff from the old site and I'll have to do the whole thing again, upgrade it fron scratch.  The problem is that there's a mod I can't uninstall as everytime I try to, it shuts my site down.  I'm hoping the upgrade will overwrite it.

This is a complete nightmare.  I even bought cbulletin and it's crap, asked for the money back and they're messing me about on it.  So many bugs it's unreal and they refuse to give back the money, even though it does say you can get a refund if you ask within 60 days.  So many times I've felt like packing it all in.

Thanks for asking, lol, I'm fine  :P Just need psychiatric treatment and all will be well  :D

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Ok, if you are doing this all from scratch again - do let us know if you need help with something, wouldn't want you to abandon SMF over something like this :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

flutter

It's not SMF that's the problem, it's this add on domain carry on.  I had them separate and had the add on upgraded and it looked good.  I transferred all the files to the main domain and it wouldn't read the databse for the main site, I did use the corect settings.php.  I then found out that if I used the database for the add on that it worked, but both sites were the same.  As we have some files left to sort, e.g. downloads, we need the old domain on the go at the same time.  It's hard to explain it all without writing a book but I'm now thinking that if I just get the main one reloaded as 1.1.11 and upgrade that then it will be fine, that is assuming SMF can connect to that database which appears to be the issue.  Must admit, I'm losing it with host gator as they don't seem to understand what I'm saying, the two sites are connected again.  I've been telling them about the database issue for a long time as I keep getting SMF error emails.  I also discovered that when I upload with core ftp it doesn't always go where it should.  It's a total mess but I plod on.

Thanks for the support

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Just realised....

Quote from: flutter on October 18, 2010, 04:28:50 PM
I have changed the name of the database and installed it into the second site, no change at all.  I have gone into settings.php and changed the settings there to  point to the new database, no change.

This just won't work for me at all.  When I try to sign in to the .co.uk site, I get landed on the .com one and you know I can't work in there and that was the point of the second forum

This is me going to delete the whole thing again and give it another go, I just have no idea how to make that database different, apart from the name change and the settings.php leading to it.  If you have any suggestions I'd be grateful.
This is because the "copy" forum still has all old path and url settings defined, and the second you try to load any page on it, it will catch on and "fix" your wrong URL, to the one that is defined in your settings.
Please, see What is repair_settings.php?
And use repair_settings.php for the "copy" forum to make sure it uses the new location.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

flutter

Oh dear, this was a long time ago.Lex, I did say that I had changed the settings, it was a problem on host gators end due to it being and add on domain and it was their settings that were wring.  The mere fact that I could land on the index page of the .co.uk site showed the settings.php was fine, it was after log in that it went to the .com site.  I managed to get that test all done and was happy with it, so I shut my main site down for a day while I applied it all over there, I didn't even want to mess with trying to transfer it all over from one to the other.  My biggest problem was with my donwload system when I did that as I couldn't work out where in the code the images for that were to hange their path.  It was not so bad doing the upgrade over there as I'd already done it once and made every mistake going, so was forearmed.

I keep repair_settings.php on my pc just in case

Thanks for still picking this up. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: flutter on November 11, 2010, 04:22:45 AM
The mere fact that I could land on the index page of the .co.uk site showed the settings.php was fine, it was after log in that it went to the .com site. 

Actually, that was the thing - I didn't realise it before, but with wrong URL settings, you can reach the frontpage, but as soon as you click on any SMF link, it will redirect you to use the URL in it's settings.

But the main thing is you've got things sorted somehow :)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

flutter

yes but it did have the right settings, even host gator tech checked that.  Host gator had it set to mirror the other site, so any changes I made on the test site would have been applied to the old site.  They obviously didn't understadn what I meant about a test site.  I think the big difficulty for them was that both sites had the same name, just the .co.uk and .com were different, so they thought I wanted it mirrored.  They took their time about fixing it too.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

OK, I see... Well - all's well that ends well ;)
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: