News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

YaBBSM >> SMF?

Started by elix, July 01, 2005, 12:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elix

I have a client that is running YaBBSM V2.0.4 Based on YABB SE. I understasnd that SMF is made by the same people as YaBB is. Therefore, a conversion should be pretty simple?

Anyway, I was wondering a few things:
1) If I convert from YaBBSM will the forum style(s) be kept?
2) Is YaBBSM known to be a resource killer even if the forum is not very popular? I have seen that from my stats.
3) Can anybody on this forum help me convert a forum to SMF, possibly for some pay?

GSV

[Unknown]

Quote from: elix on July 01, 2005, 12:31:36 PM
I have a client that is running YaBBSM V2.0.4 Based on YABB SE. I understasnd that SMF is made by the same people as YaBB is. Therefore, a conversion should be pretty simple?

No, "YaBBSM" (Supermod) is really just YaBB SE with some other people's work thrown on, and all the copyrights changed (against our will, and they know it.)  We did not write YaBB (Perl), but we did write YaBB SE (PHP, and the one Supermod is based on.)

Your assumption that upgrade/conversion is easy is correct, though.  It shouldn't really be any different from upgrading from YaBB SE.

Quote1) If I convert from YaBBSM will the forum style(s) be kept?
2) Is YaBBSM known to be a resource killer even if the forum is not very popular? I have seen that from my stats.
3) Can anybody on this forum help me convert a forum to SMF, possibly for some pay?

1. No.  The upgrader is able to convert the YaBB SE template.php, but doesn't handle any mods, in most cases.  Supermod uses what was a somewhat popular mod for YaBB SE for its multiple styles, unless they've changed greatly since I last checked.

However, assuming they are still using that, you can use the "YaBB SE style theme generator" I wrote for people not yet comfortable with SMF's system.  Basically, you install this theme (as many copies as you want) and take the template.php file from the style, and copy it into the theme's directory.

2. I don't really know, however... YaBB SE was not known for being the best in resource usage, although it wasn't as bad as most people said it was (it got a bad reputation from older versions of YaBB.)  That said, Supermod is basically YaBB SE plus some mods - written often by amateurs - which only serve to make it less efficient.  SMF had been designed to be resource efficient, and is better than YaBB SE is by default.

3. Sure - we can help you right here ;).  If you're asking for someone to do it for you, however, I can't personally devote that much time, unfortunately.

However, it shouldn't be difficult - just make backups ;).  Always make backups.

-[Unknown]

elix

I don't think backups are a problem, we take daily backups of all users on the server  :D

Thanks for devoting time to atleast answering my questions, btw. If anybody would like to offer doing this for me, please drop me a line at [email protected].

GSV

Amacythe

Quote from: elix on July 01, 2005, 12:31:36 PM
Is YaBBSM known to be a resource killer even if the forum is not very popular? I have seen that from my stats.

SM was bloated and did in fact kill your resources.  I noticed a BIG difference when I switched to SMF.

Kirby

I'll check it out and see if I can get a clone of the YaBB SE converter working for it.

edit: wow, smf totally owns this thing!

Kirby

yabb se converter seems to be working, you should be able to use it

elix

What kinds of modifications are made in the SM version, if anybody knows offhand?

I  wouldn't want to upgrade the client's forum and then lose all the special modifications that she may like.

Amacythe

Many of the mods in SM are not standard in SMF but there are mods available to restore most of them.  I'd suggest you speak with the client and ask which she really wants then check the mods available and if there are any that she really wants which aren't available, post a request in the mod requests board.

Advertisement: