News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

networked forums

Started by mavherzog, March 31, 2005, 03:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mavherzog

This is THE single feature that would make me go ga-ga over a forum software product.  The ability to share individual forums between sites (much like FIDOnet echomail, WWIVnet, etc for BBSes).  I've implemented this half-heartedly with phpBB2 before...using a NNTP server backend and having multiple sites utilze various nntp gateway mods.  However, what I really want is some tight integration.  Tear lines on network forum messages indicating the source website would be incredibly cool.  I don't have the coding skills to do this myself, but MAN would I love it.  I'm certain this feature alone would drive me and several friends to switch forum software. 

This proposed mod seems to always  be very well received (phpBB2, vB, etc communities), however I don't know of any mod that has been developed to actually accomplish this.  Anyone have something in the works or think it is a good idea?

[Unknown]

Search for "ID_FORUM".

-[Unknown]

mavherzog

Quote from: [Unknown] on April 01, 2005, 03:53:08 AM
Search for "ID_FORUM".
"Your search - site:simplemachines.org ID_FORUM - did not match any documents."

Kindred

My main question would be.... WHY?

Don't get me wrong... I ran a WWIVnet board for 6 years.  But the point of BBS networks was; You call up your local BBS, post your messages and people around the world repsond and converse...  It was great!

Doesn't that pretty much define what any message forum does on the Internet, these days?

Why the need to network forums together, when the original forum is the exact same click away as the "networked" ones?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

mavherzog

Quote from: kindred on April 01, 2005, 09:02:31 AM
My main question would be.... WHY?

Don't get me wrong... I ran a WWIVnet board for 6 years.  But the point of BBS networks was; You call up your local BBS, post your messages and people around the world repsond and converse...  It was great!
I don't know if you had the same experience, but...In addition to WWIVnet (and later, FIDOnet), I also coordinated a FIDO-type network that was local to my community.  Sure, folks could just dial up the other BBS to join in the conversation...But there was a sense of community and loyalty many users had to specifics BBSes and the good-natured conversations between the various "communities" was very interesting and fun.

Bottom line, I HAVE done this before (like I said, with a NNTP backend) and it was well recieved.  I'm just looking for a more seamless way to accomplish it (and, at the same time, get some cooler integration features).  With all the reams of mods available for the different web forums available, it has amazed me that something like this has never surfaced...

claygucci

This is something that we have needed for a long time. www.echoforums.com does it.  You want to become an echo? go there, sign up, it's free for a month. I'm trying it, I love it.

When you sign up, join the "smf enthusiasts" echo and say hello
I echo that one in my forum. 

It is worth it, you can try the first month, no CC needed.
There are 2 packages, 45 per year (standard) and 15 per month (enterprise)
The only diff is that enterprise lets you make YOUR forum echo'able. This is something I'm dying for but at 180 a year, I am going to wait a while,lol.  Right now there are a few discussions with 2 and 3 nodes echoing.  It's new so give it a minute. I have told them that should offer some sponsorships (you getting to echo your forum) for free to get it started.  I would love to search through the lists of discussions and see 10-20 nodes listening/echoing it.

Advertisement: