Please Help - I can't create new boards! *Urgent*

Started by scoops09, October 23, 2010, 06:18:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scoops09

I'm finally launching my site on Sunday and have a few new categories to add to my forum. Problem is, I can't create new topics within the new categories!

The 'save' button is completely gone! There's also weird ":" with check boxes showing up that I've never seen before.

Please see the attached image to see what I'm talking about. How can I create new topics now?

Thanks for your help!!

Masterd

It seems that you have a problem with text strings.

scoops09

Quote from: Masterd on October 23, 2010, 06:35:45 AM
It seems that you have a problem with text strings.

What does that mean & how do I fix it?

There's quite a few other 'anomalies' occurring as well, which is making me nervous. I'm thinking I may have to wipe out everything and start over (obviously saving & copying what I can). My "official" launch is this Sunday finally, so I should be able to recreate everything by then if I bust my butt off lol.

I don't want to run in to major issues once we get going and have a member-base as that would really sink us. 

Masterd

Quote from: scoops09 on October 23, 2010, 07:27:51 AM
There's quite a few other 'anomalies' occurring as well, which is making me nervous.

Can you tell us more about them?

scoops09

Quote from: Masterd on October 23, 2010, 07:29:30 AM
Quote from: scoops09 on October 23, 2010, 07:27:51 AM
There's quite a few other 'anomalies' occurring as well, which is making me nervous.

Can you tell us more about them?

Well one that comes right to mind is this - I keep getting themes from old SMF versions popping up in "Themes" folder. I've never had an older copy of SMF on this server so there's really no need for these old generic themes showing up at all.

I'm the only one who has access so I know that nobody else can install these themes.

Oh another thing is this - In maintenance it shows that my version is SMF 2.0 RC3 (which is correct) but it says that the current version is 1.19 (or something like that). That changes as well, sometimes it matches up and displays the correct versions (both matching) and other times they differ.

There's just too many little things like that and it worries me that something will falter once I get a member-base.

Masterd

This looks like that you upgraded from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.0 RC3.

Powerbob

Sounds to me as if an older version was installed before on your server. Was it a clean (new)install in a new directory? and a new Database? because it doesn't sound like it to me!

Bob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Masterd

Quote from: Powerbob on October 23, 2010, 08:00:48 AM
Sounds to me as if an older version was installed before on your server. Was it a clean (new)install in a new directory? and a new Database? because it doesn't sound like it to me!

That could be the cause of your problems.

scoops09

Quote from: Masterd on October 23, 2010, 07:58:06 AM
This looks like that you upgraded from SMF 1.1.x to SMF 2.0 RC3.

Not on this server though. I'm using a new server, if that makes a difference.

scoops09

Quote from: Powerbob on October 23, 2010, 08:00:48 AM

Bob

It was a clean installation on a new server. I just copied & saved everything I need. Just gonna completely wipe everything out and start fresh. I'll still be able to launch on time and I'll have a completely fresh start with less clutter. I did go overboard on installing mods which was definitely a bad idea so I won't repeat that mistake this time around lol.

gbsothere

Quote from: scoops09 on October 23, 2010, 09:08:20 AM
It was a clean installation on a new server. I just copied & saved everything I need. Just gonna completely wipe everything out and start fresh. I'll still be able to launch on time and I'll have a completely fresh start with less clutter. I did go overboard on installing mods which was definitely a bad idea so I won't repeat that mistake this time around lol.

If you start over, scoops, a good rule of thumb is only install one mod, make sure its edits are in your custom theme templates and language files, check for forum errors, after clicking around a bit and, if you're clean, go on to install another one.  (One at a time, lets you know which mod is the culprit.)   ;)
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

scoops09

Quote from: gbsothere on October 23, 2010, 09:14:39 AM
Quote from: scoops09 on October 23, 2010, 09:08:20 AM

If you start over, scoops, a good rule of thumb is only install one mod, make sure its edits are in your custom theme templates and language files, check for forum errors, after clicking around a bit and, if you're clean, go on to install another one.  (One at a time, lets you know which mod is the culprit.)   ;)

Thanks for the tip, it's one I will follow! Well it's almost time to tear this sucker down lol. It's the right move though, it will be a much better & stable site once it's rebuilt. I'll still be able to launch on time tomorrow. Just have to make one more pass to make sure I copied & saved everything I need.

xenovanis

For the issue about the fileversions (if this happens again after you did a new install) in Admin -> Maintenance -> Scheduled Tasks -> Fetch Simple Machines Files -> check and Run Now. See if that helps.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

scoops09

Quote from: xenovanis on October 23, 2010, 04:57:25 PM
For the issue about the fileversions (if this happens again after you did a new install) in Admin -> Maintenance -> Scheduled Tasks -> Fetch Simple Machines Files -> check and Run Now. See if that helps.

I will do that, thanks. That's something I've never tried before.

xenovanis

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

scoops09

Quote from: xenovanis on October 23, 2010, 05:40:17 PM
Please keep us posted ;)

Well I was unable to launch on time, thanks to a surprise party for my mom that slipped my mind. I guess the 'surprise' was on me lol.

Anyways, I do have a lot of the site back online AND am making regular backups after each mod (only sticking with the few major ones like portal, Aeva, Articles, Chat, and Arcade). However it keeps saying that my sources are version 2.0 RC2 BUT then a while later it will say they are 2.0 RC3 which is correct. I also had one of the themes from an old SMF version show up in my 'Themes' folder again, although it didn't show up on the list of themes on my SMF admin page itself. Keep in mind I don't install new themes and am just making major customizations to the default theme.

I completely wiped everything off my server, deleted the database & cleaned out everything in phpMyAdmin (tables etc...) and started fresh. I'm not getting any error messages but these inconsistencies have me slightly worried. If no actual problems arise and everything runs smooth than I don't care what versions it says I'm running. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that nothing does arise down the road from it.

Thanks again for everyone's time, help, and information! Time to take advantage of insomnia and get back to work lol.

xenovanis

I'm not sure what causes these issues on the fileversions. For some reason smf seems to be unable to detemine what the version is. However, it's not a big thing to worry about, as long as you keep your files updated.

scoops09

Quote from: xenovanis on October 25, 2010, 04:20:57 AM
I'm not sure what causes these issues on the fileversions. For some reason smf seems to be unable to detemine what the version is. However, it's not a big thing to worry about, as long as you keep your files updated.

Will do & thanks! I'm about to send you a PM, if you have a second I want to get your opinion on something. I've got a ton of categories and I just installed my "hook" category. Let me know what you think about this section in my forum, I'm hoping it's something fun enough to keep people coming back for more. We've got just about every topic imaginable but I'm banking on this to bring the people in.

Keep in mind though, that the site isn't finished.

I'd post it here to get lots of input but I don't want to be accused of self-promotion lol.

scoops09

Ok, I got a new problem lol. My site isn't showing up properly for some people, yet it's fine for me. They are using IE and I checked it in IE and it was fine. So why would it be messed up for other people?

Check out the attachments of what it looks like for both myself and the other person -

http://coolchimp.com/index.php?topic=2.0

Any ideas how to fix this?

xenovanis

There are some issues with IE. Let them try compability mode (it's an option in IE -> Menu -> Extra).

scoops09

There's still some weird issues but I give up lol.

Anyways, I got the site pretty much done and just have a few minor adjustments and things to do.

I'd be honored if you guys can check it out and give me some honest opinions!

xenovanis

Hey scoops09, to get opinions on your forum it's best to post a new topic in the Showcase board ;) Make sure to read the stickies in the board before creating your topic. We have some rules to keep the board tidy.

scoops09

Quote from: xenovanis on October 27, 2010, 03:03:06 PM
Hey scoops09, to get opinions on your forum it's best to post a new topic in the Showcase board ;) Make sure to read the stickies in the board before creating your topic. We have some rules to keep the board tidy.

Ok, thanks for the info!

xenovanis

I'll mark this solved now. Feel free to mark it unsolved if you have additional questions regarding your original issue ;)

Advertisement: