RC3 is down after mods

Started by broknindarkagain, October 27, 2010, 11:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broknindarkagain

I've been running an install of RC3 for a few months now without any major problems.

Today I installed a mod for a shoutbox / chatroom (AJAX Chat Integration). It seemed to work OK, but for some reason it was kind of buggy with my ad management mod. I decided to remove both mods and now I have this

The forum index is blank on any page inside it. I can't get to the admin panel or anything.

I know this is fixable by editing files via ftp, but I'm not even sure where to begin with that.

Please help point me in the right direction.

My server is running PHP4 (if that makes a difference).

The link to my forums is www.tuneratlanta.com/forums

Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Illori

download the large upgrade package, upload all files but attachments folder, avatars folder, settings.php settings_bak.php. this should restore your forum to new [leaving posts/members in tack].

broknindarkagain

Quote from: illori on October 27, 2010, 12:04:47 PM
download the large upgrade package, upload all files but attachments folder, avatars folder, settings.php settings_bak.php. this should restore your forum to new [leaving posts/members in tack].

Doing this will take out all of my mods/themes right?

Illori

yes it will, then you can reinstall those packages that were working.

broknindarkagain

Quote from: illori on October 27, 2010, 12:15:14 PM
yes it will, then you can reinstall those packages that were working.

Awesome thanks for the help. I'm transfering via FTP right now. I'll post as soon as its done and let you know how it worked out.

Thanks for the help and quick response!

broknindarkagain

That did not work. Still having the same problem without any change.

Any more ideas?

Matthew K.

My guess is that the mods were not uninstalled on your custom theme. Try manually uninstalling the template edits in your custom themes folder where edits were made for both of the mods. That should resolve your issue.

Illori

did you try the default theme?

broknindarkagain

Quote from: Labradoodle-360 on October 27, 2010, 12:27:31 PM
My guess is that the mods were not uninstalled on your custom theme. Try manually uninstalling the template edits in your custom themes folder where edits were made for both of the mods. That should resolve your issue.

How would that happen though? I uninstalled them through packages under the admin panel? And how do I manually uninstall them?

broknindarkagain

Quote from: illori on October 27, 2010, 12:28:20 PM
did you try the default theme?

I can't get to the admin panel to change the theme. The image in my original post is all that shows when I visit my forum. I can't get to anything at all.

Matthew K.

Manual Installation of Mods - The reverse of that.

Try also adding "/index.php?theme=1" to your forums base and see if it works.

Illori

upload a clean copy of your theme to the themes folder to uninstall any modifications they made to your theme, do the same for the default theme, then apply your working mods again.

http://www.tuneratlanta.com/forums/index.php?theme=1

Matthew K.

That's really not needed illori. Much better just manually uninstalling the two problematic mods.
Quote from: illori on October 27, 2010, 12:32:38 PM
upload a clean copy of your theme to the themes folder to uninstall any modifications they made to your theme, do the same for the default theme, then apply your working mods again.

http://www.tuneratlanta.com/forums/index.php?theme=1

Illori

but if he already uploaded the large upgrade package, but did not upload clean themes then installed the mods he could have the mods editing the files for themes 2 times.

Matthew K.

So maybe he should have just manually uninstalled them in the first place. ;) I still suggest manual uninstallation.

broknindarkagain

After doing everything thats been listed here - I didn't have any luck.

What I wound up doing was deleting my themes folder and uploading a fresh copy of it.

That put the forums in some sort of text mode, but I was able to work with it from there.

You guys did help point me in the right direction

thaks for the help

Matthew K.

Since all of your mods are gone anyways...keep them uninstalled for a minute, keep your themes uninstalled for a minute.

Upload a fresh copy of SMF, keeping settings.php and settings_bak.php, /attachments and /avatars. Then run What is repair_settings.php? and then try re-installing your mods and themes.

That should fix everything for you. I apologize this has to happen, it would have been much more simple to uninstall the two mods manually.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi broknindarkagain, have you been able to sort things out? :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

broknindarkagain

Actually yes. I thought I had posted so.

When I did everything, I basically had a forum that didn't have  a theme....everything was just links with absolutely no graphics. From there I was able to install a theme and everything was back to normal.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Glad to hear you've got things working :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: