News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SimpleMachines Server issues

Started by LiroyvH, October 29, 2010, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

butchs

Quote from: CoreISP on October 29, 2010, 01:29:14 PM
Dear SMF users and visitors,

Over the past few days, and currently still, SimpleMachines.org is under a low level DDoS attack. The server team has been working at best effort on keeping the site stable and running smoothly but unfortunately we still have experienced a few hiccups. Due to the nature of our setup, it may appear to be working like a flash light from time to time.

We are still working on the issue and making modifications both software and hardware side to ensure you do not experience any trouble from this lame action.

We apologise for any inconvenience and hope you will understand.

Thank you and happy foruming,
- Simple Machines Team

Just install Forum Firewall, it is designed to take care of DOS attacks and much more...  The mod has been waiting for approval at the SMF Mod Site since October 24th.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

青山 素子

Depending on the type of DDoS, that may not do a single thing. There are plenty of ways to flood a connection without actually going up to the application running on the web server, or even the application layer of the OSI network stack.

At least in the past, I recall most of the attacks were either SYN floods, or just lots of requests against the webserver for a static file. Even a high enough rate of HEAD requests against, say, /community/Themes/smsite2/images/site/smsite_logo.jpg could cause the web server to have issues.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Kindred

and also,  we try not to install mods here and keep simplemachines.org as close to baseline install as is realistic (for variety of reasons)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

willemjan

Are there any updates on this issue? Have the attacks stopped, or is there an solution for the problem? Any news what so ever?

Hj Ahmad Rasyid Hj Ismail

I just faced that "interruption" again today. So, I don't think that is solved as yet.

LiroyvH

The attacks still seem to be going, though many measures that have been taken are keeping us up and running with hardly any issues. You may face a error from time to time when you are being sent to another server thanks to the load balancing, but that should be about it. :)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

willemjan

b4pjoe

Quote from: CoreISP on December 08, 2010, 03:45:16 PM
The attacks still seem to be going, though many measures that have been taken are keeping us up and running with hardly any issues. You may face a error from time to time when you are being sent to another server thanks to the load balancing, but that should be about it. :)

Where are they coming from and why?

LiroyvH

They are comming from pretty much all over the world, it's not limited to a certain country or provider, unfortunately. Why is the question we all like the answer to :( I seriously dont know.

NanoSector

Quote from: CoreISP on December 09, 2010, 06:41:15 AM
They are comming from pretty much all over the world, it's not limited to a certain country or provider, unfortunately. Why is the question we all like the answer to :( I seriously dont know.
phpBB fanboys LOL
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

LiroyvH

b4pjoe

Quote from: CoreISP on December 09, 2010, 06:41:15 AM

I was just wondering because usually there is a reason why sites are attacked and the attackers usually want it known why it is being done. Like WikiLeaks. Just seems strange that a forum site would be attacked as they really don't have an agenda that I know of.

Bolt™

Some people should just get a life tbh

butchs

Naw, they are after everyone!  It is just that SMF is a bigger target than most.

I would not be surprised if most the traffic here is non-human.
I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

LiroyvH

I'm not sure if traffic is non-human, judging by the many interests, I think it's not that bad with human vs non-human :)
Either way, a permanent solution should be here soon. We've already limited the damage pretty well and i'm looking over various solutions to implement on the server/network, hope it will stop the attacks completely :) (Or atleast: stop it from harming the server :P)

Today we received another attack, some may have noticed that sometimes the server became very slow.
In any case, we are working hard on this behind the scenes and it looks like it is starting to deliver ;D

NanoSector

I hope you guys get it sorted soon :)

fixing issues isn't that fun to do, lol
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

busterone

It seems to be an ongoing issue still.  Each attempt to use the search for the last 3 days has been fruitless. Each time, the server is under stress.  :(

NanoSector

Quote from: busterone on February 11, 2011, 11:20:33 PM
It seems to be an ongoing issue still.  Each attempt to use the search for the last 3 days has been fruitless. Each time, the server is under stress.  :(
Works fine for me ???

busterone

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: busterone on February 11, 2011, 11:20:33 PM

I get the same report but not so much from searching, just changing folders will bring it on even today it happened twice this morning.
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Advertisement: