Which one should I use?

Started by papabill, October 31, 2010, 12:43:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

papabill

I've just gotten a G3 Power Macintosh that runs Mac OS X 10.2.8. I've got PHP 4 and I'm hoping to find MySQL 4.x as well (if anyone has it in their archives, I'd appreciate a copy). I need to know which version of SMF I need to run (any Mac users out there??).

Thanks
Computer Help available:
Computer help: $52.00 hr.
Computer help while you watch: $92.00 hr.
Computer help with your advice: $152.00 hr
Computer help with your assistance: $252.00 hr

青山 素子

I really advise you against running such old software as there are often security flaws in it that exist unpatched. Likewise, OS X 10.2 is unsupported and likely has severe security flaws in the packages with which it shipped.

If you are thinking of using the machine only as a server, look at Debian Linux as they still publish and maintain a PowerPC build with modern versions of server applications.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

papabill

Well, I guess I need to consider phpBB.
Computer Help available:

Kindred

???

SMF doesn't care about the hardware.

and it runs just fine on php and mySQL.... but, if YOU run v4 of php and mySQL, you *WILL* be hacked.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Oya

smf runs fine on php 4.x and mysql 4.x according to the system requirements but it isn't recommended because of vulnerabilities that aren't going to be fixed in those versions (but have been fixed in later versions)

papabill

Quote from: Kindred on October 31, 2010, 08:27:05 AMif YOU run v4 of php and mySQL, you *WILL* be hacked.

Well, with the hardware I have and the version of OS X I have, I have no choice-IF I can find the correct version of MySql for this OS X
Computer Help available:

papabill

Quote from: Oya on October 31, 2010, 08:45:00 AMsmf runs fine on php 4.x and mysql 4.x according to the system requirements but it isn't recommended because of vulnerabilities that aren't going to be fixed in those versions (but have been fixed in later versions)

See previous reply
Computer Help available:

青山 素子

If you are really, absolutely convinced that you must run SMF on bug-filled software, Proven Scaling LLC runs a mirror of MySQL 4.1 versions at http://mirror.provenscaling.com/mysql/community/binaries/4.1/. It looks like they are no longer archiving the 3.23 or 4.0 releases.

Quote from: papabill on October 31, 2010, 07:59:12 AM
Well, I guess I need to consider phpBB.

Even if you went with a different forum application, you're still trying to run an OS version and server applications that are completely unsupported and have known security holes. It's just not a good idea. Just as in the Windows world you can run a public server on Windows 95, it's just a bad idea to run something which is so old and unsupported.

However, as I said before, if you don't plan on also using this machine as an OS X desktop (kinda silly, since most OS X software won't run on under 10.4 nowadays), look at Debian Linux. It'll install on your G3 (it's a PowerPC architecture) and you can run supported and security-patched versions of PHP and MySQL that way.
Motoko-chan

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Ensiferous

Purely out of curiosity. Why do you need to use PHP 4 and MySQL 4?
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

papabill

Because that's the only thing this machine will carry.
Computer Help available:

Seraphiel

I'm serious, maybe you should look into phpBB. Then, if you get hacked, you won't blame SMF or come whining here, no offense intended.

青山 素子

Quote from: papabill on October 31, 2010, 10:10:17 PM

Quote from: 青山 素子 on October 31, 2010, 01:29:38 PM
However, as I said before, if you don't plan on also using this machine as an OS X desktop (kinda silly, since most OS X software won't run on under 10.4 nowadays), look at Debian Linux. It'll install on your G3 (it's a PowerPC architecture) and you can run supported and security-patched versions of PHP and MySQL that way.
Motoko-chan

Ensiferous

Quote from: papabill on October 31, 2010, 10:10:17 PM

Carry how? PHP 5 and MySQL 5 are both faster and more efficient than PHP 4 and MySQl 4. So I guess you mean that your OS does not come with any newer software?
My Latest Blog Post: Debugging Nginx Errors

Advertisement: