News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

From YabbSE 1.5.4 to Simple Machines - how?

Started by DickBarton, December 29, 2003, 07:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DickBarton

Ok, I've been having a play around with my profile on this new board and I'm very impressed with it...I am currently using YaBB SE 1.5.4SE and it says I need to upgrade.

So I went off to the iste to download an update and it tells me that I need to use Simple Machines - no probs, I'll see what I need and download the required software...and I'm now lost - I can't find the software anywhere to download. Can someone tell me where I go to download the new software please?

lso is there a converter that will move all my threads from YaBB SE to SM? Does the SM use the same database as YaBB SE? If so do I just upload the SM files, run an update program and it does the rest?

If it doesn't use the same database how do I update? I can run only 1 database on my hosting package and I'd need to know how to do all the changes so it doesn't destroy anything.

Thanks for your help,

Richard.
The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Cadish

You can't download it yet... It's still in development.

If you want to download it NOW, you can become a charter member...

When it's released, you can easily convert your existing YaBBSE 1.5.4 forum to SMF :)

DickBarton

Ah, that explains why I can't find it...I'm assuming it will use the existing database? (after reading through a converter thread I get the impression it will use the same one). Will that mean I only have to upload/update the php files?

Thanks for the response.

Richard.
The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...

Peter Duggan

Hi Richard

Hope you don't mind me locking this with my reply, but I seem to be tailing you round two sites at the moment and finding the same question everywhere! :)

Quote from: Peter Duggan on December 29, 2003, 08:40:27 AM
Quote from: DickBarton on December 29, 2003, 08:19:31 AM
So any ideas on when SMF will be available and when the convertor will be available and how it will work? i.e. will it use the same database or will I need to create a new database to run SMF? I'm assuming SMF will be free - am I right?

Knowing that you've already found the answers at yabbse.org, but answering here for the sake of completeness:

1. It's available in beta now to Charter Members and should be available 'soon' as a public beta (note the word 'beta')!
2. The YaBB SE converter comes as part of the package and updates the same database.
3. Yes, it will be free!

Quote from: DickBarton on December 29, 2003, 08:27:41 AM
Will that mean I only have to upload/update the php files?

There'll be a converter/upgrader to run too!

Peter

Advertisement: