News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

SMF 2.0 Candidate 4 and SMF 1.1.12 have been released

Started by Norv, November 01, 2010, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsmcsluggo

I have just installed SMF 1.1.12.  I am looking for a site that I can download RC4.

Thanks

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GarfieldP

I have never had any security issues with smf, but I am glad they came up with an update for smf 1.1.11

Bigguy

Powerbob

My SMF 2.1 Beta test site; http://www.pplb.net/smf21/index.php

Bigguy

Maybe they couldn't find their way to the first post, lol.

IchBin™

Quote from: Bigguy on December 22, 2010, 11:32:51 AM

Or the subject line for every single post in this topic... lol
IchBin™        TinyPortal

DaBrute

jkdove

2 months of use now...just keeps getting better and better. 

I refuse to use any other forum software.

keep up the great work.

Bigguy

Quote from: IchBin™ on December 22, 2010, 03:04:57 PM
Quote from: Bigguy on December 22, 2010, 11:32:51 AM

Or the subject line for every single post in this topic... lol

lmao

Mr. Jinx

I finally had the time to upgrade from RC3 to RC4. It's always a lot of work, re-installing all the modification and fitting everything in our own template. Upgrades with the package-manager are nicer, but I know this is still RC.
Anyway, it's running perfect and smooth! Fast as always. I noticed a lot of bugs are solved in this release. Normally I have to fix many things, but this time it looks very good! Great job guys and girls!
I can feel we are close to the final 8)

TechTitan

SMF 2 shall bring my interest back with SMF... Good job!
--:: .... ::--
Checkin' SMF from time to time

MacGig

when will 2.0 be a final? have any idea?

will updating a 1.1.12 site with 1900 users be difficult? just wondering. thanks.  8)

c23_Mike

Hi there!

Quotewhen will 2.0 be a final? have any idea?

No one has any idea since this is the mostly asked question in all this forum!
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

MacGig

Ok, thanks. I thought perhaps they had a general time line...  I am ready for it for sure... tired of the bot registrations in 1.1.12. lol

Road Rash Jr.

Quote from: MacGig on January 13, 2011, 10:52:58 AM
Ok, thanks. I thought perhaps they had a general time line...  I am ready for it for sure... tired of the bot registrations in 1.1.12. lol

Not likely to happen any time soon. Internal problems and such. And the next release will not in all probability resolve bot registrations either as it is rampet in RC4
Never argue with an Idiot like myself, they just drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

青山 素子

Quote from: Road Rash on January 13, 2011, 02:22:10 PM
Not likely to happen any time soon. Internal problems and such. And the next release will not in all probability resolve bot registrations either as it is rampet in RC4

My understanding was that the internal problems were mostly worked out and the delay was in getting copyright transfered for a license change for 2.0 final.

Spam registrations are a problem for everyone. As long as the cost is lower than the reward, it will remain so. I'm not sure how you think a programatic update will "fix" something that is spurred by economic considerations. There are automated spamming tools now that bypass any CAPTCHA image by using actual humans. The most popular forum spamming tool interfaces with a human-backed service that costs as little as $1 per 1000 valid solutions.

SMF could temporarily stop the tide by changing the registration form. That wouldn't last long as the software providers would update their wares to handle the new form.

The only long-term solution to stopping automated spam is to make your anti-spam protections unique. That's what the registration questions are there for. Make some custom questions that apply to your forum and you'll see a marked decrease in bad registrations. Maybe implement a different system in your forum. By making it different from the default and other forums you've just made it so that automated solutions can't work.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

MacGig

I'm using 1.1.12. I don't have any registration questions for my forum... just the captcha that is not working. I've been unable to get any of the anti spam mods to work, and I don't know enough about smf to figure out why their not working.

Advertisement: