SMF 2.0 Candidate 4 and SMF 1.1.12 have been released

Started by Norv, November 01, 2010, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, personally I'm hoping to see it before 2011 - but I do not know enough to give you any promises, so don't quote me on that :P
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

becometa

I have to wait for it, becoz' there's no package manager update, won't to lose all my mods  O:)

Kindred

there will not be a package manager update for 1.1.x to 2.0 anyway.
There has never been a package manager update between major versions.

nor will there be a package manager update between RCs and the final version.
Package manager releases are done for security releases and small version updates (i.e. 1.1.x to 1.1.y)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

becometa

I'm talking about rc3 to rc4 update, if i'm right after update, all mods previously installed will be lost, sure?

Norv

becometa,

Yes, though their data, settings, anything they saved in the database should be preserved. So you need to install them again after upgrading, but normally you shouldn't need anything more: you shouldn't need to re-configure them, to re-enter whatever data they had, because they should find it in the database again.
(it can depend on the particular mod's coding though)
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

File a security report | Developers' Blog | Bug Tracker

Also known as Norv on D* | Norv N. on G+ | Norv on Github

Norv

As for 2.0 Final, the simple answer is: we need to KNOW first and foremost, what issues there may be with RC4. Anything that may prove major or affect user experience with 2.0, if case may be, will be solved ASAP, and the sooner we learn about it, the sooner we can solve it. Therefore we appreciate any reports, any input, on how RC4 performs and your experience with it.
To-do lists are for deferral. The more things you write down the later they're done... until you have 100s of lists of things you don't do.

becometa

The best way it would be to make an automatic update forum script, no downloading by user, just autoupdate based on 2.0 package manager idea and the windows update implementation, if there's any conflict, the error should appear on user monitor as on package manager.
Stupid idea, yea knew it  ;D

Anyway, thanks for the response, we will try to help you on working at stable release.
Bug tracker into the hands of!

Norv

It actually works that way, but only for stable versions. For an 1.1.11 forum, a notice appears in Admin panel about an update available, and at an admin's click, it downloads undercover and presents the test install page.

There are far too many changes between unstable versions for this to be done for them. (meaning among others, files to download, but also a huge amount of work to package all the changes in SMF's mod format, which this semi-automatic package manager update uses).

Thank you for your assistance!
Please feel free also to use the Bug Reports board and Feature Requests boards, as case may be. :) That's why they're there!

c23_Mike

Hi there!

Since release of the RC4 there has been several new (small) issues in the bugtracker. Some has been resolved very fast, since several days the counter is on 21, not moving any forward (or back).
Can you shortly explain why at the moment there is no progress, even not assignments of the issues to programmer? A small holiday? (you deserve it!) or something else? 21 issues sounds to be getting closed very fast (this year)  ;D
So long, Mike

http://www.c23.at
c23 - DER Computer Club
~ never play alone ~

Norv

Not everything - every minor issue - might be solved for Gold. Or not in core. Some will, though. But more importantly, instead, after this release, we're monitoring everything in this forum, Support boards experience and issues with 2.0 RC4, bugs reported if any, so that we uncover as fast as possible if there are any serious problems coming up. If there are or there seem to be, we're debugging them, documenting them for the support team, working on some site changes too which may allow us to provide fixes to the community faster, and other things.

If there will be no major issues coming up, or only some with practically trivial fixes (yes, there can be), then with or without some of the minor issues tracked for the moment, we may see a Gold release. That remains to be seen yet, though.

purnenduchauhan

Kindly see this problem.

This is what happened to my board after upgrading. See the unicode fonts.

http://younguttarakhand.com/community/index.php

Norv

Hello purnenduchauhan,
I answered in the Support thread you have on the issue. Thank you for bringing it up.

willerby

Congrats all. Looks good on my test forum - one step closer to gold.

Given I have so many mods and theme edits on my production forum I'll be waiting for that final release as it can't be far away now. Well done.

W
What type of washing machine is September?

An autumnatic. :)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Do remember that RC4 is also a security release, fixing a few possible vulnerabilities in RC3. :)
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

purnenduchauhan

Quote from: Norv on November 07, 2010, 05:57:41 AM
Hello purnenduchauhan,
I answered in the Support thread you have on the issue. Thank you for bringing it up.
Thanks Norv but it didnt worked :(

Anpu

juliegreen

Arkadaş

error in the original language file

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING in .../Themes/default/languages/Who.english-utf8.php on line 134

alphabluetech

Installed and migrated my Community to V2.0 RC4 - Yesterday around 12pm
Great work!  I really like the layout of this much nicer, though the templates are a LITTLE more difficult to work with. 

Big Pros-
The Core system switch panel is great.  (Makes handling advanced and custom profile fields very easy)
The menu navigation system is laid out much nicer and is less confusing to use. (For stock install)
Comments, PM, and profile sections all seem a bit easier to use with a bit nicer functionality.

Great job on the development of this platform.  Keep up the good work guys!

Advertisement: