SMF 2.0 Candidate 4 and SMF 1.1.12 have been released

Started by Norv, November 01, 2010, 02:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TechTitan

Quote from: c23_Mike on January 13, 2011, 10:49:36 AM
Hi there!

Quotewhen will 2.0 be a final? have any idea?

No one has any idea since this is the mostly asked question in all this forum!

Should have some development/release roadmaps. This will give rough estimates for site administrator to plan for upgrades especially when the administered sites are full of integration with other softwares.
--:: .... ::--
Checkin' SMF from time to time

Kindred

we don't even do rough estimates...   because this is a volunteer project and we tell all of our team that Real Lifetm comes first, it is difficult if not impossible to predict fixes, updates or releases.

We release the product when it's ready...   Or in this case, when a few other things have been worked out. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to give even and estimated date, I can not.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MadMick

Quote from: MacGig on January 13, 2011, 03:10:33 PM
I'm using 1.1.12. I don't have any registration questions for my forum... just the captcha that is not working. I've been unable to get any of the anti spam mods to work, and I don't know enough about smf to figure out why their not working.

Why not use the registration questions mod then?. I have been using it since early 2007 and have not had one bot join my forum and it is one very busy forum  :)

Can someone say whether V2 final will be release within the next 12 months?. I need to do a clean install and would prefer to do it with version 2 than have to install 1.1.12 again and then install it all again once V2 is released  :-\.
Regards,

Mick.

AHN Moderators - Can explain it to you, but they can't understand it for you"

IchBin™

Yes, SMF2 will be released within the next 12 months. ::)
IchBin™        TinyPortal

Cal O'Shaw

This is why I've been requesting MOD authors to not abandon the 1.1.x branch yet.  Even if 2.0 went Gold tomorrow, a lot of cautious sites (including mine) won't switch for months.  A lot of us will allow time for the rollout, the inevitable fixes as sites encounter issues upgrading from 1.1.x or the last few very subtle bugs appear, as well as waiting for favorite MODs to migrate (and fix their bugs).  So, I expect a lot of Production sites to still be on 1.1.x in 2H2011.

A lot of us simply don't have the time or resources to run Test and Production environments or be able to devote hours to a clean install and rollback where we can apply inplace upgrades.  And I think that percentage of SMF users is a lot larger than realised by the very skilled and proactive Admins who frequent here.

Just my thoughts...

Cal

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Well, in all honesty 2.0 has had very thorough testing in it's RC stages, and when it goes Final, no big surprises should come up anymore. Small fixes, patches and so on may of course follow, that is just normal - but I wouldn't expect anything major to occur. :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Cal O'Shaw

Well, I've felt the prep cycle has been very professional (multiple RC candidates and such), so really I think the last major area of concern will be 1.1.x -> 2.0 migrations.  And to be honest, I know I can't allocate large blocks of time to finessing an upgrade, and a lot of other sites won't migrate if it looks like a new install scenario.

It would just be a bit more confidence-building when migrations are tested out by the adventurous.  Don't know if that would be another RC or what, but dropping that path out there cold in the Gold version would be disconcerting to me.

Cal

Illori

a LOT of people have upgraded from 1.1.* to smf 2.0 even with early RCs, there is going to be no major issues upgrading a 1.1.12 install to 2.0.

Cal O'Shaw

Just wanting to be sure, as I hadn't looked for a long time.  The "large upgrade" package will upgrade IN PLACE a 1.1.12 site to 2.0?  Pardon me if the question sounds dumb, but don't want to misunderstand.

Grazie

Arantor

Yes, the large upgrade does an in-place upgrade, including all the database modifications.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I upgraded my own site, when 2.0 was only on RC1 if I remember correctly, could've been RC2 though just as well, but the point is that most upgrades I've seen - including mine - have gone through near flawlessly. I say near, since there have been some slight problems with 1) Losing UTF8 setup from settings.pgp - easily solved. 2) Losing width settings from themes - easily fixed as well. And 3) Temporarily losing board sorting on index, until the order is changed once, and changed back again.
These I think are currently the most common problems with the upgrade, and as you can see, there's nothing too alarming in that short list :)
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

FinsandFur

I recently migrated my 1.1.12 install to 2.0RC4.
156,000 posts
13,000 topic
600 members
Database - over 500 meg

Not the largest forum in the world, but my original install was in 2006 and the site absorbed every update/upgrade patch since then to keep it up to date, and the migration to 2.0 went off flawlessly.
Thanks SMF ;)

TurtleKicker

Quote from: Kindred on January 14, 2011, 10:27:05 AM
We release the product when it's ready...   Or in this case, when a few other things have been worked out. Unfortunately, as much as I would like to give even and estimated date, I can not.

ETAs aside, what are the "few other things" still pending?

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TurtleKicker

HunterP

I'm really looking forward to the final release, so keep up the good work

kojot1984

Hello to all , please I need Thanks mod to default theme for 1.1.12 version , ppl can you help me ?
I try all packed and for all I give information "is not posible to my version"

Bigguy

This is not the proper place to be asking for this. Please post in the mod authors thread to see if he can help. Thank you. Welcome to the site. :)

Advertisement: