News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

My 1.x site has gone to crap, ready to start at 2.0 from scratch

Started by cavem5, February 21, 2011, 05:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavem5

I have backups of my 1.1.13 site (current 1.x version) but a minor issue or two has been plaguing it and, frankly, I'm ready to upgrade NOW since the site's having downtime anyway. 

Can I install a fresh SMF 2.0 on my server but utilize the existing backups I have?  Or do you recommend I install a fresh 1.x with my backups, then do a 2.0 upgrade?

kat

You can only upgrade a 1.1.1x forum to v2 in-situ, as it were.

You can't import a v1.x database into an v2.x forum.

Sorry and all that. :(

I've read some of your other posts, though.

If that was my forum, I'd get the 1.1.13 LARGE upgrade package/archive and simply dearchive that and upload all the files to the site, overwriting what's there, now.

You'll need to reapply any mods, though.

They'll still be in your Packages directory. They'll just need to be reapplied.

cavem5

Quote from: K@ on February 21, 2011, 05:11:01 PM
You can only upgrade a 1.1.1x forum to v2 in-situ, as it were.

You can't import a v1.x database into an v2.x forum.

Sorry and all that. :(

OK so I think you're saying I should do a separate from-scratch install of 1.1.13, import the backup data, then upgrade that to 2.0?

Illori

you can do it that way, or do it with your current database just make sure you have a backup first.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Hi cavem5, did the above posts answer your questions? Do you still need assistance with something?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: