News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

What happens if your admin helper demoted you, owner.

Started by Riceguy101, November 02, 2010, 12:43:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riceguy101

I'm wondering if this does happen what can i do?

im the owner of it and if i get demoted, it not really mines anymore?

please help

thanks guys.

青山 素子

If you have access to the hosting account, there are easily ways to restore a deleted/de-grouped admin account.

The best prevention is to not let anyone you don't trust fully to have that level of access.
Motoko-chan
Director, Simple Machines

Note: Unless otherwise stated, my posts are not representative of any official position or opinion of Simple Machines.

Acans

"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

Gary

Not that the version you're using really matters in a situation like this. It's pretty much the same process, the only difference is that the field you're looking for is uppercase in 1.1 while it's lowercase in 2.0
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

kat

Isn't there a mod, "SuperAdmin", or something, that prevents root admin being deleted?

Edit: Curses...

I just checked.

There was. But, it's not availabe, anymore. :(

gbsothere

Quote from: K@ on November 02, 2010, 07:26:59 AM
Isn't there a mod, "SuperAdmin", or something, that prevents root admin being deleted?

Edit: Curses...

I just checked.

There was. But, it's not availabe, anymore. :(

It's another one of Johny B's very nice mods:

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1306

But it hasn't been ported to RC3 (and now RC4) and I don't see Johny B coming back, any time soon.   :(

I snagged a copy, a while back, to see if I could make it work on my RC3 board, but I never actually got around to it.

My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

I Don't Want To Grow Old Alone

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

A reminder about admin / ftp passwords etc.

kat

That page won't open, for me.

Mind you, I'm having serious problems with a lot of pages, here, at the moment. :(

gbsothere

Quote from: K@ on November 02, 2010, 07:57:34 AM
That page won't open, for me.

Mind you, I'm having serious problems with a lot of pages, here, at the moment. :(

It must be because I'm spay-shul.    :D
My apologies, but I am taking a break from accepting PM requests for support.  If I am not currently assisting you, please do not ask as long as this notice is posted.  Thank you.

It has been proven that Steely Dan reduces the occurrence of road rage, according to an independent study.

YogiBear

Sabre and I were in contact a while ago about Super Admin and the idea is to wait until RC4 has been out a week or so then he'll update it.
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

gbsothere

Quote from: YogiBear on November 02, 2010, 09:34:50 AM
Sabre and I were in contact a while ago about Super Admin and the idea is to wait until RC4 has been out a week or so then he'll update it.

Good deal.  Next contact, tell Johny B "hello" and that if he decides to accidentally log in here, it wouldn't be the worse thing that ever happened.   ;)

YogiBear

The prob is I think he went to join the armed forces so finding him could be a bit tricky.  :-\
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

gbsothere

Quote from: YogiBear on November 02, 2010, 01:02:44 PM
The prob is I think he went to join the armed forces so finding him could be a bit tricky.  :-\

I miss that guy.  Very nice person and great mod work.  Well....   maybe when he comes marching home, he'll march back into this place, as well.   :)

rd

OP, once your admin, don't forget to demote the other guys account and ban him for life.

Don't take this kind of ******.

Paul_Pauline

Quote from: YogiBear on November 02, 2010, 01:02:44 PM

I thought they all had laptops as part of their kit now   :)
"In every life, no matter how full or empty one's purse, there is tragedy. It is the one promise life always fulfills.
Happiness is a gift and the trick is not to expect it, but to delight in it when it comes and to add to other people's store of it."
Pauline was one of those rare people who increased the store of happiness in the world.

Acans

Quote from: Gazmanafc on November 02, 2010, 02:51:15 AM
Not that the version you're using really matters in a situation like this. It's pretty much the same process, the only difference is that the field you're looking for is uppercase in 1.1 while it's lowercase in 2.0

Just wanted to move it to the right support board ;)
"The Book of Arantor, 17:3-5
  And I said unto him, thy database query shalt always be sent by the messenger of $smcFunc
  And $smcFunc shall protect you against injections and evil
  And so it came to pass that mysql_query was declared deprecated and even though he says he is not
  dead yet, the time was soon to come to pass when mysql_query shall be gone and no more

sodmanccc

hello
great feedback from the smf experts.
so this has happen to me and depdending on what they do it can be a real big issue. the main issue is they should not be able to change the members groups because they can change ANY member including the admin. To us they demoted our staff and our admins deleted 3 admin accounts changed the user name of mod members(IDs can not be changed and that can be used to help fix)

when something like this happens do what you know you can do to protect and shut it down if that means changing the domain name severs to disabling sql. i will tell you one thing for sure you never want to be in this place with out a back up and when this happens its too late to make one so always make sure you have a backup 15days -30days. most the time if one person has access to change member groups a few do. i would try contacting them when it happens tell them what happen tell them to re-admin you. But yea i have been there and it is NO fun at all not being able to login to your own forum. nothing is worst then seeing no user name by that.

the mods above can help you better fix and deal with the issue at hand. i would keep all the info on them as you can. also he messed with you .. you should mess with him, change his member group to a new member group only for him then make a block or a ad that has one of those pop up traps. keep the email address as emails are used all over the place, chances are he/she has a facebook twitter myspace or some account that can be found by his email that will then give you access to his personal info :) . also there is reverse email address look up services that can get you there address phone number name ect. (if they entered it right)  we sent a letter to the person that did it to us from lawyers.com and we don't expect to ever have issues with him again. he still has no idea how we found his address and name.  its amazing what you can do with the internet and a little research. now that something like this has happen to you its time to start thinking proactive about stuff like this and think about what other risks you have. be ready for them before they happen and you be ready when and if it does.

i like a comment 青山 素子"The best prevention is to not let anyone you don't trust fully to have that level of access."
the best prevention is not having sex at all, oh sorry i mean not giving ANY one access to changing member-groups. create a lot of post groups and move some up time to time to be mods but even as mods they should not be able to change members groups.

tesser

This is a simple one

just use a back up if you lose a post or two who cares atleast your back on your site then remove the naughty admin.

also make sure you are the only one with access to phpmyadmin

Gary

You don't need to restore a backup to get your admin access back.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Advertisement: