News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

When will 2.0 (Final) be coming?

Started by Lolafish, October 19, 2009, 11:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolafish

Is there a timeline for the final release of 2.0? I have too many mods to reinstall to do it in-between releases, so kinda just waiting to do everything at once. 

Will there ever be a way to upgrade with seamless mod installation, so they don't have to be added one-by-one again?  It really is a major PIA.  lol

AquaPuppies - A Goldfish Community
www.aquapuppies.com

Running SMF 2.0.2 & SimplePortal 2.3.5

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

No set timeline exists yet. We are currently waiting for the RC2 release to be published. Then there might be additional RC versions before final after that.

Quote from: Lolafish on October 19, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
Will there ever be a way to upgrade with seamless mod installation, so they don't have to be added one-by-one again?  It really is a major PIA.  lol
Yes. After 2.0 goes final. Just like it is now in 1.1

The major PIA is what you get for using development versions,
and it was completely your own decision to do so against the advice on the download page.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sangwe11

Quote from: LexArma on October 19, 2009, 11:42:11 AM
No set timeline exists yet. We are currently waiting for the RC2 release to be published. Then there might be additional RC versions before final after that.

Quote from: Lolafish on October 19, 2009, 11:39:03 AM
Yes. After 2.0 goes final. Just like it is now in 1.1

The major PIA is what you get for using development versions,
and it was completely your own decision to do so against the advice on the download page.

You say this, and yet many mod authors have abandoned SMF 1.1.x

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: sangwe11 on October 19, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
The sad truth is that we can't very well force the mod authors to do anything can we?
2.0 is not recommended to be used in production sites, because it is still under development and things can change
so much between RC versions, that it would be impossible to maintain mod and theme compatibility between versions.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

sangwe11

Quote from: LexArma on October 19, 2009, 12:09:14 PM
Quote from: sangwe11 on October 19, 2009, 12:04:58 PM
The sad truth is that we can't very well force the mod authors to do anything can we?
2.0 is not recommended to be used in production sites, because it is still under development and things can change
so much between RC versions, that it would be impossible to maintain mod and theme compatibility between versions.

I see.

I can't really talk, all of my mods I have made (yet to package) or are making, are SMF 2 only.

It does take alot of work to make them compatible with SMF 1.1.x, depending on the size and extent of the mod.

JBlaze

Random Member: When will SMF 2.0 Final be ready?
JBlaze: When it's ready...
Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

Advertisement: