News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Topic Notifications by Default Script

Started by MrLeN, August 02, 2013, 11:52:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrLeN

Ok, so after this rant

I wrote this script (attached):

What is does

It allows you to go to yourforum.com/notify

Then you can click through all the new members and make sure they are set to be notified.

I am using cookies so the script remembers what member you were last up to.

I also included a readme file with instructions.

I hope this helps someone.

Setup Instructions

Just drop the "notify" folder in your forum directory. Done!

P.S. I know some people will flame me for making this - but I don't think I did anything wrong.

TheListener

MrLeN

Would you like the topic moved to Tips and Tricks as this isn't really support related?

;)

MrLeN

Well, I think it's a huge problem and a LOT of people will find it useful, so I just want as many people to see as possible.

I think it's a good general solution for a popular general problem.

So, if you want to move it - maybe move it to where most people will see it?

Kindred

Not flaming you, but informing people who may choose to use this:

BE AWARE that doing this may violate anti-spam laws in many locations.
Specifically - Many locations require a POSITIVE ACTION on the part of the USER for them to receive emails. By using this "trick", you have taken that action away from the users and forced everyone to receive notifications.
For some forums like an private, internal company website, this may not be illegal... but, for public forums, there is a good chance that it is

Additionally, notifications send out emails. On a very large, active system, using this script may cause a dramatic increase in system resource usage

(and now for the commentary: If I want notifications, I will turn them on myself. There are some sites which do have this turned on by default -- and it is the first thing that I turn off. If I joined a site and kept getting this turned back on, I would leave that community in a hot second.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrLeN

It is not illegal in any country to send notifications to people who you have told (and they have agreed) that you'll be sending notifications to.

The positive action is the "agree" box they tick, under the terms.

SMF should put this feature back in, and let the community operators decide.

However, I do wholeheartedly agree that once someone has disabled notifications, that choice should be respected - and I have said (nor implied) nothing to the contrary.

I have not created a "trick". I have created a perfectly legal  and ethical work around for loss/removal/denial of functionality.

Kindred

As I saidm the post was not a flame... nor did you do anything wrong by cretaing it (if you had done, we would have removed the post)
I call it a "trick" because it is not quite a mod.... not because you are acting tricky.

Legal in some areas. Seriously... Anti-Spam legislation has reached staggering heights in some locations and a mere "you agreed when you signed up for my forum" is actually NOT sufficient positive action.
Ethical - well, that's a grey area in which I disagree with you :P
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MrLeN

Ok, let me say first off, I am not upset or insulted. I have no hard feelings against you. But I want to give my 2 cents (for what ever it's worth).. Again, no hard feelings..

My problem is that I believe that 98% of people will not have in mind whether or not they're going to receive notifications for the posts they make. So, one works hard to get people to the forum - then, the new member responds to a post and is never (ever) aware (for the rest of eternity) that someone has responded to that post. Which means the whole exercise (by all parties involved) becomes a waste of everyone's time.

You obviously don't like to be notified. But I contend that a LOT of people  DO what to be notified on topics they have created.

I can understand and agree with the spirit of anti-spam laws. ie: You don't want to come to my website to get information on how to lose weight and next minute your inbox is flooded with unwanted rubbish that you can't even unsubscribe from.

In life, we have to look at things in CONTEXT. If people are joining a forum, the VAST majority will want to know when they have a response to a "positive action" they left.

I think I might write a mod that adds a question on the registration page: "Do you want to be notified when people make a response to your threads?".

If they say no - I totally respect that (as, at least I know they have been made aware). But I bet you a million dollars most people will click yes.

I wouldn't even be afraid to double opt-in them as well!

My contention doesn't lie in wanting to force feed my forum to people. It lies on the fact that they don't even realize they're not going to be notified.

All I can say is -- if you were running a hamburger shop and someone came in and ordered a hamburger. Once you had finished cooking the burger, would you call the guy over? Or would you simply put it to the side and wait for him to say: "Hey dude, how's that burger coming along?"... for you to say: "Oh, you wanted me to tell you it was ready TOO? Sorry mate, it's been ready 15 minutes.It was sitting over here going cold. Should have opted in to our burger notification system mate".

Kindred

actually, the mod is not a bad idea. It puts the choice back in the hands of the user.

I disagree with your analogy though...   the two situations are not comparable.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: