1.1.13 --> 2.0RC5

Started by mathmission, March 16, 2011, 05:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathmission

Running SMF 1.1.13, trying to go to 2.0 RC5.

I've tried uploading the large upgrade package and I keep getting the same error message:

Could not upload package, please check directory permissions!

I looked at a few threads below and saw that there is a permissions setting that needs to be changed from 777 to 775. But looking through what I have, I'm not entirely sure what I should be changing. I've installed an exact copy of my site on a secondary webpage I own, so if things screw up, the functional site is still in operation. Essentially, I created a sandbox before I do the change "for real". Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated. I believe I've supplied the right information, but if there's something else I can offer, please let me know.

kat

You ARE uploading this using FTP...

Aren't you?

It's not a package.

You have to dearchive the package, before you upload anything.

I think it'd be best for you to read this:

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Upgrading

mathmission

I appreciate that. I'll go through all those steps to make sure I've not skipped anything and report back.

mathmission

This may be a terrible question, but after reading the instructions, I wasn't sure and wanted to make sure. The instructions:

Once the upgrade archive has been downloaded, it will need to be uploaded and extracted before the upgradeer can be executed. There are two methods for this step. The method used will depend on the tools available with the control panel supplied by your hosting service. Please ensure you upload in binary if using an FTP client.
SMF can be uploaded to the site root, or to a directory on the site, such as www.yourdomain.com/forum

This seems to imply that you upload the entire director of the SMF 2.0RC5 Upgrade over the existing file structure, replacing all the files that are there. Is this true?

Suki

yes, that is correct, the upgrade files will overwrite your existing files, thats why a full backup of all your files should be made if something goes wrong or you just want to keep your old files :)

once you uploaded all the files, run upgrade.php from your browser:  mysite.com/forum/upgrade.php  and follow the instructions there :)
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

mathmission

I chose the option to create the _Backup during the upgrade process, but I'm wondering, how long is a long time for this backup? It's been running (Firefox) for 22 minutes now, and is still showing it's completed ) of 66 tables. And this certainly isn't a big forum.

mathmission

Well, it sat there for about an hour, didn't do anything. So I started the whole process over [note that I have the secondary test site set up], and this time I tried it without selecting creating the backup_ files. Ran for about 2 minutes then got an error message:

Error: Unknown Error.

Wish I had more to offer.

kat

It could be timing-out.

Might be worth having a natter with your host, to check that.

mathmission

I was able to figure it out last night around 1am, piddling. The problem of course came from the fact that I was using a copy of the database on a different URL. Using the Check_Problems tool or whatever it's called I was able to reassign the proper links, and the install worked on the test site. I'm going to mess around with it some more, but I believe this answers that question. I assume that when I do this on the actual site, there'll be no problems. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

kat

Advertisement: