[SMF 2.0 RC4] Weird '''' shows up at Top header in topicq

Started by Rain Forest, November 20, 2010, 07:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rain Forest

When I go to see a topic, a weird '''' shows up at the top of my forums.

Has it something to do with my Display.php ?

Hopefully someone could help me with this.

Kays

Hi, does it do this on all pages or just when viewing a topic?

If you switch to the default theme does this still happen?

Does it do this if you switch to English? Is your forum set to use UTF8?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Rain Forest

Quote from: Kays on November 20, 2010, 09:13:14 AM
Hi, does it do this on all pages or just when viewing a topic?

If you switch to the default theme does this still happen?

Does it do this if you switch to English? Is your forum set to use UTF8?

Hi,

It only appears when I'm actually looking at a topic. Not at index or at PM's, just during watching a topic.

It does not happen when I'm switching to the defualt theme. Default language is Dutch, not UTF8.

Kays

And if you switch to English, is it still there?

If so, the file to look in would probably be Display.template.php in the theme you are using. Look for any code which might be before the opening <?php at the top of the page, or after the closing ?> at the bottom.

If you can't find anything suspicious, attach that file to a post please. Also, which theme is that? Gotta link to it?

If at first you don't succeed, use a bigger hammer. If that fails, read the manual.
My Mods

Bigguy

That symbol is probably at the very top of either the boardindex.template or messageindex.template of your custom theme before the opening php tag. I would start by searching those files. It could also be after the closing php tag.

Rain Forest

Hmm, I had to delete the cache and somehow the problem dissapeared..

Thanks for your quick answers

Bigguy

flapjack

"" is the Byte Order Mark (BOM) of the Unicode Standard. Specifically it is the hex bytes EF BB BF, which form the UTF-8 representation of the BOM, misinterpreted as ISO 8859/1 text instead of UTF-8.

Probably what it means is that you are using a text editor that is saving files in UTF-8 with the BOM, when it should be saving without the BOM. It could be PHP files that have the BOM, in which case they'd appear as literal text on your page. Or it could be translated text you pasted into one of the files.

Rain Forest

Hmm, this is really awkward, it just came back out of nothing. Really, I don't like this ''' above my header.

Quote from: flapjack on November 20, 2010, 07:11:48 PM
"" is the Byte Order Mark (BOM) of the Unicode Standard. Specifically it is the hex bytes EF BB BF, which form the UTF-8 representation of the BOM, misinterpreted as ISO 8859/1 text instead of UTF-8.

Probably what it means is that you are using a text editor that is saving files in UTF-8 with the BOM, when it should be saving without the BOM. It could be PHP files that have the BOM, in which case they'd appear as literal text on your page. Or it could be translated text you pasted into one of the files.

hmm, as a not-English person I don't know what u are saying. What do u suggest? :)

Rain Forest

Quote from: Bigguy on November 20, 2010, 10:33:40 AM
That symbol is probably at the very top of either the boardindex.template or messageindex.template of your custom theme before the opening php tag. I would start by searching those files. It could also be after the closing php tag.

Kays

My Mods

Rain Forest

Kays

Yep, that's the culprit. It was as Flapjack suspected, saved as UTF8.

Try this copy, I changed the encoding on it. Do clear your file cache after uploading it.

My Mods

Rain Forest

Quote from: Kays on November 21, 2010, 12:24:36 PM
Yep, that's the culprit. It was as Flapjack suspected, saved as UTF8.

Try this copy, I changed the encoding on it. Do clear your file cache after uploading it.

Thanks! It helped!

In what line was the problem? :)

Bigguy

Sounds like the encoding of the whole file was the problem.

Rain Forest

Ah, but oh, now all the modifications i've done on display.template.php are going even as the Username at profile which is now smaller?

Before:

Now:

How can I change it back to 'before'?

Bigguy

Compare the two files and make the necessary changes. Winmerge is good for comparing two files.

Rain Forest

Hmm, no I was wrong. The mods are still in the display.template.php. Now there's only this 'Before' and 'After' problem.

With Winmerge there is nothing to compare because the original has no mods and the Display.template.php which has Kays uploaded are having mods.

any lead where I can find the Username-name problem at this file?

Kays

All I changed was the encoding on the file and nothing else.

The first image looks like it's from the default theme. The second from a custom theme as it's using stars rather than the block ()

Did you add the mods to your custom theme also?

My Mods

Rain Forest

Quote from: Kays on November 21, 2010, 01:13:08 PM
All I changed was the encoding on the file and nothing else.

The first image looks like it's from the default theme. The second from a custom theme as it's using stars rather than the block ()

Did you add the mods to your custom theme also?

Yes.

But it's weird because the usernames were like 'before' (http://skinmod.eu/themedemo/index.html and click on Soft Cartoon) And after I overwrited the Display.template.php & delete cache the Usernames are like 'after'.

Is there a way to set it back?

Advertisement: