News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Now Announcing the Simple Machines Wiki (beta)!

Started by Joshua Dickerson, November 28, 2010, 04:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua Dickerson

Simple Machines is now proudly harnessing the power and ability of our community in order to assist with the work of documenting Simple Machines Forum. The current documentation was becoming outdated and incomplete with development and user changes. It was difficult to maintain an up-to-date document and so, we've changed the SMF documentation from a team generated and maintained set of documents to an open wiki. Allowing our community to help create, expand and dramatically change our documentation.

In the site menu you will now notice a "wiki (beta)" drop down under the "Online Manual" link. You may also visit the wiki directly by going to http://wiki.simplemachines.org.

Please assist the community in creating more, better documentation for Simple Machines Forum. You may view, edit, move, and delete pages. For more information on how to help, please visit the wiki help page.

Along with the release of the wiki, we have a new slogan for the Documentation Team - "user driven education." Going forward, the user will drive what needs to be documented, what gets documented, the act of documenting, and the search for the educating article. You, as a user, are now the leader of documentation for SMF.

PS: If you would like to acquire some tools to use while you're working on the wiki, please join the Doc Helpers through group membership in your profile.
Come work with me at Promenade Group

Need help? See the wiki. Want to help SMF? See the wiki!

Did you know you can help develop SMF? See us on Github.

How have you bettered the world today?

Trekkie101

shadow82x

Colin B
Former Spammer, Customize, & Support Team Member

Nolt

Antes

choloman05

Now if only Wikimedia could be understood by the general user.

the gimp

is it possible and how do you go about making a button that when click will redirect you to wiki

(when i say button i mean tab like where Home, Community, download ect.. is)

p.s. i want trying to sound like a jerk just could think of any other way of putting it :)

Kindred

this thread is not for support of ANY issue or question with your own site. This is an announcement of a change (and improvement) on the documentation here at simplemachines.org.

However:
http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_do_I_add_buttons_to_SMF_2.0%3F
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Robert.

gisfreak

Me fail English? That's unpossible.

Illori

I just noticed that I am able to "move" pages on the wiki, I am not sure you wish for people to actually be able to move pages unless they are admin/mods on the wiki. for example I can move this page http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Special:MovePage/How_do_I_add_buttons_to_SMF_2.0%3F

Trekkie101

Quote from: Illori on November 29, 2010, 01:02:13 PM
I just noticed that I am able to "move" pages on the wiki, I am not sure you wish for people to actually be able to move pages unless they are admin/mods on the wiki. for example I can move this page http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Special:MovePage/How_do_I_add_buttons_to_SMF_2.0%3F

It intentional :) we want the community to truly help out :)

Illori

what would you do if a spammer came by and moved/renamed all the pages or a lot of them? I dont know many wiki's that actually allow their users to move pages. you want it to be a resource not a place that pages are linked to from the forum and all end up going to a dead end as someone thought the name was bad/wrong.

Trekkie101

Quote from: Illori on November 29, 2010, 01:09:34 PM
what would you do if a spammer came by and moved/renamed all the pages or a lot of them? I dont know many wiki's that actually allow their users to move pages. you want it to be a resource not a place that pages are linked to from the forum and all end up going to a dead end as someone thought the name was bad/wrong.

With a few clicks I can put it all right back again. Also theres some anti spam stuff built in to stop mass wiki-homicide. A wiki keeps a list of basically EVERYTHING that changes, allowing us to constantly revert and go back.

abanksob1

JBlaze

Jason Clemons
Former Team Member 2009 - 2012

SleePy

Quote from: Illori on November 29, 2010, 01:09:34 PM

We do have some simple protection against spammers.  As it is setup now, you must have more than 10 posts on the community to be able to modify the wiki.  This simple setup offers us a much more easier solution to managing spammers, as they are usually caught before they make 10 posts on our community forums :D .
Jeremy D ~ Site Team / SMF Developer ~ GitHub Profile ~ Join us on IRC @ Libera.chat/#smf ~ Support the SMF Support team!

Adish - (F.L.A.M.E.R)

Daniel15

Nice! :)
I used to have a wiki for SMF modification developers, didn't renew the domain since I wasn't really keeping it alive and it kept getting spammed :(. I might have to go through the backups (I keep weekly backups of all my sites) and put some of the old articles up on this new wiki :)
Daniel15, former Customisation team member, resigned due to lack of time. I still love everyone here :D.
Go to smfshop.com for SMFshop support, do NOT email or PM me!

Advertisement: